Rewatched The Dresden Files

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Over the past few nights I rewatched The Dresden Files. And it is as good as I remembered it. Why do I think it is good?

First, good characters you can relate to and root for.

Harry Dresden is sort of like a down on his luck private eye who also is a powerful wizard who is under close supervision of the magical powers in charge (the series and the books presuppose a society of wizards, vampires et al that secretly coexist with humanity and are governed by treaties and a council). He is under the supervision because once in self defense he used Black Magic and it can corrupt users.

Morgan is also done well - he is a warden and Harry is one of those he watches. Likewise Bob who is a ghost that was condemned to live in his own skull and Detective Murphy, who employs Harry as an advisor to the Chicago PD - part of the plot tension is Harry keeping her from knowing about the magical world.

Second, the fantasy world is fleshed out very well for a show that had only one season. And even better it is internally consistent - it obeys its own known rules as a setting. This is a place a lot of fantasy movies and shows fail badly at (I'm looking at you "The Magicians")...

Finally the dialogue is crisp, there is a lot of wit and also a balance between drama and comedy.

Give it a watch! You may enjoy!

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I'm "concerned" by it only being one season. Does it at least offer a satisfactory conclusion, as if it were meant to only be one season? I don't like watching a show to find it suddenly cut off mid-story.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It is episodic so it does not feel as cut off.

The cancellation was pretty infamous on the part of SyFy, as they kept lower rated shows (reality shows) that all subsequently failed. This was a cancellation that caused a lot of people to stop watching SyFy.