REVIEW: Warehouse 13 S3E12-13 (Emily Rose - Stans)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Warehouse 13 closed out this season with something unusual –a two hour finale. Actually what they did was run the last two episodes (EmilyRose and Stand) back to back on the same night. And the result was quite the compelling finale for this season.

The first thing I noted about this installment was the tone of the episode(s), which was quite dark. This is unusual for Warehouse 13,which typically is more of a dramedy (and a good one). We had characters both recent and long term die plus an end event that was devastating. We also had our familiar foursome (Pete, Myka, Artie and Claudia) put thru the proverbial wringer. Was the dark mood effective? Mostly yes in my opinion. It was a neat contrast to the usual mood of the show, so as long as they do not overdo it then the dark mood is a nice change of pace.

The plot was effective and pretty logical too. The ending (which I will not spoil) was both shocking and foreseeable, and also created an excellent setup for next season’s premiere. As to acting, it was strong all around. We not only got good performance from the familiar foursome but also from other characters. For example, Aaron Ashmore finally got the chance to really do something as Jinks, and he was not bad at all. Similarly, Jamie Murray was excellent as Helena Wells (Yay! We got HG in this one). We even got good screen time for Leena!

All in all, this was good finish to the season for Warehouse13. I look forward to seeing how they resolve the cliffhanger (I have a theory on how, but that is not something to be discussed here and now).

S

Stonelesscutter

I thought the eps were alright but I didn't like the bad guy at all. I mean as far as bad guys go, he was a lousy bad guy.

G

Graybrew1

Great Review Joelist.

I liked the eps too. I too hope they get back away from the darker side. ;)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I thought the eps were alright but I didn't like the bad guy at all. I mean as far as bad guys go, he was a lousy bad guy.

Agreed. He wasn't developed enough to be truly menacing. It was like the writers said 'Okay, here's the bad guy, he's bad'. Big yawn on that one. Same with Jinks and Claudia, that whole thing was way too forced. The H.G. storyline was actually more interesting than the other parts. Good acting in the role of H.G. also.

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
Well, better late than never..

Anyway, these episodes truly blew me away. They raised the bar for the series, and have made the characters very dynamic. What is best about all the drama that went on, I actually cared for the characters and what they went through. When a series can be driven by both character and plot, you truly got yourself a great show. W13 was more about the plot, but by as the show progressed, the characters played a more important role in shaping the events of the plot, Emily Lake/Stand both being a prime example.

The last 2 or 3 min of "Stand" was some of the best Syfy/Scifi TV I have seen since the SGA days. And you know how much I approve of SGA. lol. I am truly happy with what they are doing with W13 and think this show has so much potential, especially for it's characters.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I concur, but do hope that they get back to the "dramedy" - Pete and Myka are golden when doing dramedy. The dark turn was cool but lets not stay there.

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
I concur, but do hope that they get back to the "dramedy" - Pete and Myka are golden when doing dramedy. The dark turn was cool but lets not stay there.

I hear what you are saying. That is what made the show so successful. I think W13 needed to show it had a pair, and they did with these two episode. It was truly ballsy to kill off 3 recurring characters. I think it leaves a lot of opportunity for next season.

G

Graybrew1

I agree, but there is I suspect an "undo" coming, not for one of them but for the other two.;)

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
I hear what you are saying. That is what made the show so successful. I think W13 needed to show it had a pair, and they did with these two episode. It was truly ballsy to kill off 3 recurring characters. I think it leaves a lot of opportunity for next season.
YAY!! BRIAN is back!!! where you been man?

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
I agree, but there is I suspect an "undo" coming, not for one of them but for the other two.;)

Yeah, Steve will likely stay dead, but H.G. and Mrs F should be saved, but I am very curious what that clock does. Has to do with Time obviously but what does it exactly do? Cannot wait for next season.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yeah, Steve will likely stay dead, but H.G. and Mrs F should be saved, but I am very curious what that clock does. Has to do with Time obviously but what does it exactly do? Cannot wait for next season.

I expect it lets Artie unwind time back to the point with the bomb, and leave for themselves the means to disarm it.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear

I think they will reset all three, but we shall see.

G

Graybrew1

My guess is that it will roll back time to right before the bomb and they can save HG and Mrs. F. but it is too late for Jinx. I also think that Claudia will try to use other artifact to save him, but either he will come back and tell her to let him go or she will realize it herself.

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
YAY!! BRIAN is back!!! where you been man?

I've been crazy busy with real life, have hardly been on Syfy.com as well. How u been?

I expect it lets Artie unwind time back to the point with the bomb, and leave for themselves the means to disarm it.

I think it will summon the Delorean from Back to the Future and Christopher Llyod makes a guest apperance. lol.
:D

I think they will reset all three, but we shall see.

Hmm, I guess it depends how far back they go. Wonder if they will pull a Eureka and change the entire time-line.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
I've been crazy busy with real life, have hardly been on Syfy.com as well. How u been?
i see i see well i am glad to see you drop by as i has missed ya man ;) ive also been playing through FF8 agin for the first time in 3-4 years so i inevetably thought about ya (as i accosiate squall with you damnit) and wondered were'd you gon off to, as for me pretty much the same ol same ol but thing are looking up as i just got hired to do some CG work for a scifi movie :) anyway i wont derail the topic further and end on "its nice to see you back here" ;)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
My guess is that it will roll back time to right before the bomb and they can save HG and Mrs. F. but it is too late for Jinx. I also think that Claudia will try to use other artifact to save him, but either he will come back and tell her to let him go or she will realize it herself.

This. I'd put money on it. Jinx isn't a permanent type character and wasn't unique enough to warrant keeping around.

I think HG turned out to be such a good character (and well acted) that they will bring her back in some form and at some point. Who knows if it will be right away or not. She could have her own show as the character is that strong. If they don't take advantage of the character's popularity they are fools. I don't think they will resurrect Mrs. Frederick though. She's done. Someone will replace her, probably Layla or whatever that chicks name is who runs the bed and breakfast (she's that forgettable).

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
This. I'd put money on it. Jinx isn't a permanent type character and wasn't unique enough to warrant keeping around.

I think HG turned out to be such a good character (and well acted) that they will bring her back in some form and at some point. Who knows if it will be right away or not. She could have her own show as the character is that strong. If they don't take advantage of the character's popularity they are fools. I don't think they will resurrect Mrs. Frederick though. She's done. Someone will replace her, probably Layla or whatever that chicks name is who runs the bed and breakfast (she's that forgettable).

H.G. is such a complex character, I hope they can at least save her.

G

Graybrew1

I read before that HG does have a spin off coming. I do think that Mrs. F will be back though. I hope you are wrong about that. :(

S

Stonelesscutter

I think it will summon the Delorean from Back to the Future and Christopher Llyod makes a guest apperance. lol.
:D

Uhm... if I'm not mistaken Christopher Lloyd has passed away. God rest his soul.

S

Stonelesscutter

H.G. is indeed a strong character and I hope to see more of her. She's not too hard on the eyes either. :D

I believe the bed 'n' breakfast gal is called Leena.