REVIEW - Godzilla 2014

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Overmind One submitted a new blog post:

REVIEW - Godzilla 2014

The latest installment in a long line of kaiju films, Godzilla 2014 brings everyone's favorite giant lizard back to the big screen in a big way. Starring Bryan Cranston, Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen this Godzilla at once bores and pleases. As the numbers roll in on this opening weekend, it is apparent that this installment of Godzilla will far outdo the 1998 version starring Matthew Broderick....
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited:
B

Backstep

so this is an emo flick where the character development is all yapping, instead of through the characters actions and deeds? how boring, i'll skip this one.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
so this is an emo flick where the character development is all yapping, instead of through the characters actions and deeds? how boring, i'll skip this one.

Well, it isnt exactly emo, and it isnt teen angsty. But there is definitely too much yapping and interpersonal filler having nothing to do with the story. The monster scenes make up for it...mostly. The film pacing and balance can be worked out for the next one. I would still recommend seeing it...one way or another. ;)

B

Backstep

Well, it isnt exactly emo, and it isnt teen angsty. But there is definitely too much yapping and interpersonal filler having nothing to do with the story. The monster scenes make up for it...mostly. The film pacing and balance can be worked out for the next one. I would still recommend seeing it...one way or another. ;)

i'll still wait till it comes on netflix so i can FF past the fluff.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yeah when I saw an interview with that Olsen chick (the one that's not a drug-addled twin) where her character was crying on the phone to some guy I knew this movie was gonna be chock full of filler. Truthfully I'd rather watch Godzilla take a dump instead of watching some chick cry.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah when I saw an interview with that Olsen chick (the one that's not a drug-addled twin) where her character was crying on the phone to some guy I knew this movie was gonna be chock full of filler. Truthfully I'd rather watch Godzilla take a dump instead of watching some chick cry.

Get this...we are developing these characters:

The Father - Bryan Cranston
The Mother - cant remember
The Son - Aaron Taylor-Johnson
The Son's Wife - Elizabeth Olsen
The Son's Son - some kid actor

Dr Serizawa - Ken Watanabe
Dr Serizawa's Assistant - cant remember

Oh...and the M.U.T.O.s (who happen to get more screen time than Godzilla himself)

Wait....what am I forgetting? Who else is in this? Um...wait a sec, it will come to me....oh yeah! Godzilla! :anim_59:

It bothers me that they are developing this Brody family within the Godzilla reboot. Does this mean that we are going to get a TV series called the Brody Bunch which is about a family who devotes their time to finding M.U.T.O.s, helping them to cope with existence in a world where they are no longer free to roam? :chargrined: :icon_e_confused:

Still, with these small criticisms, it is worth watching. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Get this...we are developing these characters:

The Father - Bryan Cranston
The Mother - cant remember
The Son - Aaron Taylor-Johnson
The Son's Wife - Elizabeth Olsen
The Son's Son - some kid actor

Dr Serizawa - Ken Watanabe
Dr Serizawa's Assistant - cant remember

Oh...and the M.U.T.O.s (who happen to get more screen time than Godzilla himself)

Wait....what am I forgetting? Who else is in this? Um...wait a sec, it will come to me....oh yeah! Godzilla! :anim_59:

It bothers me that they are developing this Brody family within the Godzilla reboot. Does this mean that we are going to get a TV series called the Brody Bunch which is about a family who devotes their time to finding M.U.T.O.s, helping them to cope with existence in a world where they are no longer free to roam? :chargrined: :icon_e_confused:

Still, with these small criticisms, it is worth watching. :)

I love Bryan Cranston but still, that won't make me want to see this movie. I noticed on the trailer they show him being separated from what I assume is his wife and they make it like it's sooooooooo dramatic. :rolleyes:

I get that they want to put a human face on the carnage but honestly I don't care. It's a monster movie. Show us the monster.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I love Bryan Cranston but still, that won't make me want to see this movie. I noticed on the trailer they show him being separated from what I assume is his wife and they make it like it's sooooooooo dramatic. :rolleyes:

I get that they want to put a human face on the carnage but honestly I don't care. It's a monster movie. Show us the monster.

Actually, that moment with his wife was actually done very well, and it was dramatic (to a good effect). The context of it was perfectly matched to what you saw. Did we need it? Perhaps not but the context of it was actually okay for that scene. Really (not kidding). The yawn moments are with an Asian kid on a train...why? It was really pointless and total filler. At that point, we still hadnt seen Godzilla and most of that whole wasted sequence with the kid consisted of things breaking and lots of noise, but you werent seeing the monster. Just the kid. Then, after they go through this bonding experience, with Soldier Boy caring for him as if he were his own, the thing resolves quickly and you are left with "Why did they waste time with that?" :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well I saw it tonight. I will work up a detailed review later as I am still working, but it was well worth admission. Godzilla was a total boss here and not a stupid iguana. Plus Gareth Edwards love of Kaiju films was shining through here. But like I said more later.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well I saw it tonight. I will work up a detailed review later as I am still working, but it was well worth admission. Godzilla was a total boss here and not a stupid iguana. Plus Gareth Edwards love of Kaiju films was shining through here. But like I said more later.

Godzilla was boss amongst the monsters, but not the boss of the movie and that is where I have problems with this film. Aaron Taylor-Johnson was the star of this film, and he should not have been. Unlike Pacific Rim which was kaiju-centric, Godzilla 2014 only had Godzilla as an "also starring".

This movie is KILLING the box office, so it is already a success financially. But it could have been much better IMO. Pacific Rim was a better kaiju film, and it also had human character development and a human story throughout without having it weighed down by the human story like it was in Godzilla.

The next one will not do as well if they keep Aaron Taylor-Johnson in the series. He is boring to watch and his story is just not compelling. If they eliminated him and the entire Brody family completely in the next film (and there will be a next film), it wont affect it at all. Get rid of Brody, the wife and the young son altogether.

Last edited:
B

Backstep

Kinda hard to be boss when you have scant little screen time, with the bulk of time spent on emoish yapping.

A further frustration is Edwards' tendency to cut around the action. More than once, we get the build-up to the long-in-coming Godzilla-on-MUTO action, and then we cut away to said brawl playing out on the television in the background of a separate scene. Once, it's cute. More than that, maddening. By the time we finally get to the IMAX-sized monster mashing we paid for (with my current home in the San Francisco Bay Area taking quite the pasting), we've had little to no time to form any rooting interest in Godzilla himself beyond the fact that he's who we paid our admission to see. As such, we're following characters we don't really care about as they move in and around situations we don't really see, leading up to a somewhat abrupt ending they don't really have involvement in.

http://www.zakiscorner.com/2014/05/zakis-review-godzilla-2014.html

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Kinda hard to be boss when you have scant little screen time, with the bulk of time spent on emoish yapping.

http://www.zakiscorner.com/2014/05/zakis-review-godzilla-2014.html

I agree with that review, and lots and lots of others which are saying the same basic thing:

Godzilla had only a cameo in his own reboot film. :(

The M.U.T.O.s have way way more screen time than Godzilla, but none of them got as much (undeserved) screen time as Aaron Taylor-Johnson or his wife and kid. Bryan Cranston was used as a draw in star billing, but you know what happens to him. And the way they did it was a bait and switch, and it is being referred to in that way.

I liked this Godzilla, but I LOVED Pacific Rim. This is definitely a kaiju movie in visual style and in the size and rendition of the monsters. I even liked the way they tied this into the original movie. The thing is making tons of money, but still, I feel disappointment in it.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Joelist posted this, I think...but Im with the guys on the right. :) More Godzilla in my GODZILLA movie!

Notes:

I just watched the 1954 movie, and I watched a couple more Godzilla movies in my 100% complete kaiju collection (I have every single kaiju film ever made), and Godzilla shows up as much as an hour into the movies on a couple of them.

No Godzilla movie up til this 2014 movie ever had a family as it's characters.
All kaiju have had NAMES, not designations and definitely not an acronym like M.U.T.O.

The head and face of the M.U.T.O.s look a whole lot like Gyaos:

Gamera_-_5_-_vs_Guiron_-_7_-_Space_Gyaos_Roars.png

images (1).jpg

And the body looks a whole lot like the Cloverfield monster:

review_cloverfield_6.jpg

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually I would say the flying MUTO looks more like Rodan but with the MUTO head. The land based one is more like a huge armored spider with a similar head.

I guess I'm not seeing the need to tear the film down. Our big worry was that it would not be truly Godzilla and that the film would break too much from the Toho tradition. Well, both fears proved groundless. The film is VERY respectful of the tradition and Edwards gave us an out and out true Godzilla. With what it does right I can forgive the two things it misses on (pacing and flat performances from the supporting actors).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Actually I would say the flying MUTO looks more like Rodan but with the MUTO head. The land based one is more like a huge armored spider with a similar head.

I guess I'm not seeing the need to tear the film down. Our big worry was that it would not be truly Godzilla and that the film would break too much from the Toho tradition. Well, both fears proved groundless. The film is VERY respectful of the tradition and Edwards gave us an out and out true Godzilla. With what it does right I can forgive the two things it misses on (pacing and flat performances from the supporting actors).

Yeah, Rodan comes to mind too...but man, did they get Godzilla right! He is the most awesome Godzilla ever to exist. :) His sound is not exactly the classic roar, but it is the same sound without the metallic after tone. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They got the sound reel for the roar from 1954 from Toho and updated it for modern audio equipment.

Picture this Godzilla fighting the Pacific Rim kaiju! I think the only one of them who would be a match for him at all would be Slattern (the huge one right at the end that Gipsy went into the rift attached to). This Godzilla would just rip the other ones apart.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Well, Im not tearing it down so much...but this movie needed to be about Godzilla. Really it did. Not about human characters...not on his reboot movie. This is definitely a strike out on that note. However, if the measure is going to be revenues, this movie has already broken all it's foretasted amounts by a large margin. Globally it may become a record breaker. But is it the best Godzilla movie ever? Probably not. The best kaiju movie ever made still goes to Pacific Rim IMO.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They got the sound reel for the roar from 1954 from Toho and updated it for modern audio equipment.

Picture this Godzilla fighting the Pacific Rim kaiju! I think the only one of them who would be a match for him at all would be Slattern (the huge one right at the end that Gipsy went into the rift attached to). This Godzilla would just rip the other ones apart.

I think that would be AWESOME! Godzilla's new atomic breath seems much more powerful than before. Also, this Godzilla starts out right from the start as being intelligent. What if somebody "drifted" with Godzilla? :)

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
True, both his MUTO kills have to be among the greatest monster kills in any movie. Nailing the flying MUTO with his tail swipe after baiting it in to attack by letting it think it was sneaking up on him from behind was classic Godzilla. And the way he dispatches the big female at the end was possibly the best monster kill ever!