Review: Dredd 2012

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
OMG was this movie boring. :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No. :( I found myself constantly hoping the movie would end soon so I can move onto something else.

I liked it because I liked the first one and thought of it as a properly adult take on the story. As a stand alone movie with no connection, I am not sure I would have liked it as much. But I actually enjoyed this movie a lot cause of the first one. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Guess that makes me different. I despised the first one because it distorted the Dredd comics into your typical Sly Stallone action vehicle, and even worse gave JUDGE DREDD a comic sidekick.

I like this one because its tone and characters are true to the source material. Also it had sufficient action and the plot moved crisply - no unneeded subplots to make it drag at all. It even managed to raise in the background some of the same questions the source material (the AD2000 comics) raised about law enforcement, authoritarianism and the like. Plus Karl Urban killed it as Dredd and Lena Headley was great as MaMa.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Guess that makes me different. I despised the first one because it distorted the Dredd comics into your typical Sly Stallone action vehicle, and even worse gave JUDGE DREDD a comic sidekick.

I like this one because its tone and characters are true to the source material. Also it had sufficient action and the plot moved crisply - no unneeded subplots to make it drag at all. It even managed to raise in the background some of the same questions the source material (the AD2000 comics) raised about law enforcement, authoritarianism and the like. Plus Karl Urban killed it as Dredd and Lena Headley was great as MaMa.

Im with you on this. :) I didnt actually despise it, but I did not like it because it was a great premise but Sly made it a campy dud. The costumes were cheesy and it was just awful. But the premise stuck with me because it was cool IMO. When this one came out, I was pleased. But ONLY because I have already seen (and remember) the first movie. This movie was good to me. I loved Urban's Dredd, and like you said, Lena Headley was awesome as MaMa. She might be the most badass female antagonist I have seen in a while. She was much less the snarky dominatrix type than the badass, no-compromising Ripley type, but from the dark side. I could watch this movie again.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Im with you on this. :) I didnt actually despise it, but I did not like it because it was a great premise but Sly made it a campy dud. The costumes were cheesy and it was just awful. But the premise stuck with me because it was cool IMO. When this one came out, I was pleased. But ONLY because I have already seen (and remember) the first movie. This movie was good to me. I loved Urban's Dredd, and like you said, Lena Headley was awesome as MaMa. She might be the most badass female antagonist I have seen in a while. She was much less the snarky dominatrix type than the badass, no-compromising Ripley type, but from the dark side. I could watch this movie again.

I like that! Evil Ripley!