Quite sick

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
I am quite sick of the recent turns of events lately, I don't even have the stomach to read through it all, especially the Nabble thread. But I am sick of it all, especially because I saw something similar happening at other communities.
What is wrong with people these days? I mean seriously, all kind of backstabbing bastards, I guess SGU was right on the potrayal of the people because it seems to be these days it seems to be a ******* standard.

And so much agressivity everywhere, this country's news are especially depressing, all kind of ****** up attacks popping out anywhere and weirdos. I can't even remember it all, but I don't even want to watch news or read them, because it ******* drags down my soul. It's like there is no hope. But the society is truly ****** up and if it goes the way it goes it's gonna die anytime soon. All there is injustice and corruption, nothing else and people abusing their powers.

Hell, even one of my family members made a scandal at party after music awards show by beating someone over there.

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
Well I am sorry for the f, word, I am just posting my thoughts and I want this to be noticed. Besides it is said in the code of conduct that this is sanctioned. I didn't post against the rules.

Therefore, the use of vulgar or abusive language, even if masked by symbols or other characters, or engaging in other impermissible behaviour, will be sanctioned.

AFAIK, sanctioned doesn't mean prohibited, it is the exact opposite. Don't turn this into the "you violated rules" thing please. I am with this site, not against it, like those idiots.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Well I am sorry for the f, word, I am just posting my thoughts and I want this to be noticed. Besides it is said in the code of conduct that this is sanctioned. I didn't post against the rules.

AFAIK, sanctioned doesn't mean prohibited, it is the exact opposite. Don't turn this into the "you violated rules" thing please. I am with this site, not against it, like those idiots.
It DID get noticed :lol:

The f-word isn't allowed on the general forum. You are right, however, that sanctioned can mean both. We'll look into stating the rules more clearly.

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
I kind of miss the times when there was a minimum of rules though. I am for free expression of thoughts. And I couldn't know what you meant by sanctioned, the way I got it was that it can be tolerated. The code of conduct should be more polished then, but I am not a fan of this, just letting you know.

Tropicana

Council Member
I kind of miss the times when there was a minimum of rules though. I am for free expression of thoughts. And I couldn't know what you meant by sanctioned, the way I got it was that it can be tolerated. The code of conduct should be more polished then, but I am not a fan of this, just letting you know.
I had a similar discussion with stclare about the word "sanctioned". We will find a balance. :)

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
Still I don't quite understand why the rules are so tight suddenly. There was nothing wrong with the rules before, there was something wrong with the people, but it wasn't because of the rules. I am all in for bringing back old rules personally. There can be also flame without personal attacks too, the two don't conflict with each other. Personal attacks can be prohibited as far as I see, but really don't make the rules too tight, it feels that way for me now.

Tropicana

Council Member
Still I don't quite understand why the rules are so tight suddenly. There was nothing wrong with the rules before, there was something wrong with the people, but it wasn't because of the rules. I am all in for bringing back old rules personally. There can be also flame without personal attacks too, the two don't conflict with each other. Personal attacks can be prohibited as far as I see, but really don't make the rules too tight, it feels that way for me now.
After the "incident", it was decided that this place needed a bit of order.

I'm all for free-for-alls trust me, but the Wild West nature did contribute to the incident. So by redefining the parameters, hopefully it will reduce such events in the future. Lack of rules has its problems, just like having too many rules has its problems. It's all about finding the right equilibrium.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Suddenly? GateFans started with this CCPG on the first day it went online. We are NOT Gateworld, and none of the general forums are truly "uncensored" because we will censor certain language. We are also not SGUS. However, in the Flame Hell forums, most of the CCPG dealing with decorum are suspended (language, bashing members or individuals, topic matter, etc). Its like SGUS was in there. But its not public, and nothing posted in there may be carried to any of the public forums via screenshots or quotes. We STARTED with our CCPG, it wasnt "sudden". :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
GateFans is the best of ALL forum worlds

There was a time and place for the anger and invective that one saw and participated in at SGU.S, but that time and place is gone. This is a good thing actually. SGU.S had to change to stay alive for myriad reasons and everyone knew it. There is no longer reason to have a site with the main objective of seeing SGU gone any longer because that goal has been met. The job is done, SGU is finished. It's time to move forward and it's always best to do so optimistically and positively.

Trust me, I'm very opinionated and yet I haven't gotten into a scrap with anyone on this site since the day it started. I'm actually really liking this place a lot and I credit the rules and code of conduct with making it such a pleasant place to hang out. I don't think the rules are "tight" at all, rather they're just logical because the admins want this place to run as smoothly as possible. And nothing is being censored here in terms of content, so there's no reason to worry that this will become GateWorld West or something like that. Your ideas and opinions are protected here and won't just disappear simply because a mod doesn't agree with your opinion.

This is turning out to be a pretty cool place and there really is no reason why anyone would be against it, not when you compare it to the other Stargate forums out there.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan

It's a tough balance to achieve and we are still ironing out how things will work. its a learning curve but already I think a lot partisipants are enjoying there time here.

@Leo (t.c.k) Please give us time to iron those creases out, I know its different here, esp regarding language content etc. But it has already allowed some good debate without arguments as Shavedape above has stated.

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
OK. But still I don't believe the rules led to that incident to happen per se. It was something else and the rules or lack of shouldn't be blamed for that.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You are pining for the Vulcan Logic Award there!

There was a time and place for the anger and invective that one saw and participated in at SGU.S, but that time and place is gone. This is a good thing actually. SGU.S had to change to stay alive for myriad reasons and everyone knew it. There is no longer reason to have a site with the main objective of seeing SGU gone any longer because that goal has been met. The job is done, SGU is finished. It's time to move forward and it's always best to do so optimistically and positively.

Trust me, I'm very opinionated and yet I haven't gotten into a scrap with anyone on this site since the day it started.
I'm actually really liking this place a lot and I credit the rules and code of conduct with making it such a pleasant place to hang out. I don't think the rules are "tight" at all, rather they're just logical because the admins want this place to run as smoothly as possible.

And nothing is being censored here in terms of content, so there's no reason to worry that this will become GateWorld West or something like that. Your ideas and opinions are protected here and won't just disappear simply because a mod doesn't agree with your opinion.
This is turning out to be a pretty cool place and there really is no reason why anyone would be against it, not when you compare it to the other Stargate forums out there.

1000% agree with you there Ape! I cant say it any better than that. :beckettu:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
1000% agree with you there Ape! I cant say it any better than that. :beckettu:

Here's hoping that Vulcan Logic Award comes with a cash stipend. :beckettu:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Dude, I was worse than you were at SGUS!

Here's hoping that Vulcan Logic Award comes with a cash stipend. :beckettu:

When I first came to SGUS, I was a lot like you...ask members here. :) I had grilled troll often for dinner, and if there were no trolls then I would go hunting for anyone even slightly pro-SGU to harass and taunt. But that all changed over the course of a couple of years. I have been domesticated...but I can still be a wild animal when provoked!

:icon_lol:

Savatage

GateFans Member
Couldn't agree more

Trust me, I'm very opinionated and yet I haven't gotten into a scrap with anyone on this site since the day it started. I'm actually really liking this place a lot and I credit the rules and code of conduct with making it such a pleasant place to hang out. I don't think the rules are "tight" at all, rather they're just logical because the admins want this place to run as smoothly as possible. And nothing is being censored here in terms of content, so there's no reason to worry that this will become GateWorld West or something like that. Your ideas and opinions are protected here and won't just disappear simply because a mod doesn't agree with your opinion.

+1

To me, this place is the next logical step to take now that SGU is dead. Going back to what OM1 said to open this thread, I'm just amazed looking at the Nabble forums just how much spite can be stirred up by just one or two people. It's almost like they are trolling their own site.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Mmm! Grilled troll!

When I first came to SGUS, I was a lot like you...ask members here. :) I had grilled troll often for dinner, and if there were no trolls then I would go hunting for anyone even slightly pro-SGU to harass and taunt. But that all changed over the course of a couple of years. I have been domesticated...but I can still be a wild animal when provoked!

:icon_lol:

Here's hoping grilled troll is low carb. ;)

"nom nom nom" :rotflmao:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It is!

Here's hoping grilled troll is low carb. ;)

"nom nom nom" :rotflmao:

Grilled troll is always low carb. And because trolls are spineless, there arent any pesky bones to pick out. :D

:laughing:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
+1

To me, this place is the next logical step to take not that SGU is dead. Going back to what OM1 said to open this thread, I'm just amazed looking at the Nabble forums just how much spite can be stirred up by just one or two people. It's almost like they are trolling their own site.

That's what I don't understand, I mean, SGU is dead, so why are those folks so adamant in resurrecting a site dedicated to a non-issue? It's like they're desperately clinging to the past instead of moving forward in a healthy and positive way. GateFans was the next logical step in the life cycle of that site; it was literally a choice of change and grow or stagnate and die. Why would anyone choose to stagnate when they have nothing to lose by joining this site? The transition couldn't be easier or more painless as virtually nothing is lost in the "move" and in fact new features and rules have been implemented that make the site more user friendly.

The funny thing is that many people over at Nabble were the ones clamoring for a site without any "bashing" or "bullying" and now that they got it (here at GateFans) they have chosen to remain there, surrounded by tons of bashing and bullying. The hypocrisy there is shocking in that some of those people remaining claim to be offended by off-color language and bigotry but they don't seem to have any problem with the "Gang of Three" who are swearing up a storm and using disgusting homophobic slurs non-stop. Nice, real nice. :roll: One person in particular -- who is in a position of authority -- has no problem with using bigoted slurs. Talk about a hypocrite extraordinaire. Nice to know that person isn't in a position of power here.

So, those few who choose to remain in the cobweb filled past can do so all they like over at the old site. That's their choice and more power to them. Eventually the true Stargate fans who just want to discuss the movies and shows will tire of the neurotic, negative, hypocritical attitude of the few bad seeds over there and they will find their way here, where they will be welcomed.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
OK. But still I don't believe the rules led to that incident to happen per se. It was something else and the rules or lack of shouldn't be blamed for that.
I can understand that, luv, it's just that we're also trying to invite more mainstream members as well, from relative youngsters to older folks who want to wax poetic about some of the older shows they loved (by older, I'm talking everywhere from the 50's on up, and maybe even some of the old serialized movies from the 30's and 40's...the Saturday matinee version of the old penny dreadfuls...so the more stringent language rules were there from GF's inception.

But I'm still glad you're here.

/hug