PRIMEVAL: New World

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I started watching this show now that I have downloaded all 8 episodes to date. I have watched three of them so far and there are things I like and things I dont like. First of all, why didnt they set up the show right? Connor was in the first episode, but his presence there made no sense. And Toby (played by Crystal Lowe), is she supposed to be the series hottie? I do not find her hot AT ALL. She is paraded around the show like she is the hot chick, and episode two had her in a black camisole and red panties throughout the entire episode. Really? In episode 2, Mac (played by Danny Rahim) can be seen looking at Toby setting up a sensor on a tree, and he has a lecherous look on his face, and Toby looks around and says "stop staring at my ass". Really? Crystal Lowe has a flat, unattractive generic backside, not stare-worthy AT ALL.

The stories are good. The writing and filming is good. But too much attention is being payed to set design and pre-shipping setups of the characters. Sam is introduced in episode 2, and she IS hot, but then they cheese it up with a kissing scene with a giant anomaly as the backdrop. :facepalm:. What happened to ARC? How ahout Philip and Abby? This series picks up the premise with no setup or solid intel from the British ARC (Anomaly Research Centre)? Im hoping the rest of the series does not go in this direction. Still the series is definitely worth watching and is awesome.

I will continue to add to this as I watch these episodes. :) You should take a looksee at Primeval's 5 seasons too. VERY GOOD TV!

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I am not sure but did you see the one with the girls in the cabin.

There was great trepidation for me during the first four shows then they kind of introduced a better plan. Some of the actors and or characters make for interesting decision making.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am not sure but did you see the one with the girls in the cabin.

There was great trepidation for me during the first four shows then they kind of introduced a better plan. Some of the actors and or characters make for interesting decision making.

I have only watched episodes 1, 2 and 3 so far. Im gonna catch up over the next couple of days. :) I do not remember that scene, so its coming up! I do like the show, but I do not like the way they are writing Toby's part as the show "hottie" Stop putting her in tight hip-hugging jeans and marching her around in chest enhancing outfits. Panties and a camisole? The ENTIRE EPISODE? :facepalm:. Where is Abby? Not even a mention so far.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually it was Connor who came over from the original Primeval to appear in the premiere of the spinoff. In that series, interestingly, Connor and Abby got married in the finale (paralleling the actor and actress who are married in real life).

We'll get Primeval: New World on SyFy later this year. I know we get Continuum next week.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Actually it was Connor who came over from the original Primeval to appear in the premiere of the spinoff. In that series, interestingly, Connor and Abby got married in the finale (paralleling the actor and actress who are married in real life).

We'll get Primeval: New World on SyFy later this year. I know we get Continuum next week.

I know it was Connor. But Connor and Abby are basically a pair and her absence is a mystery so far as the new show goes. No explanation or even a mention of her? Abby is to Connor as Kirk is to Spock. They should have left Connor out of the premiere if Abby was not in it too. I am getting ready to rewatch episode 3 before moving to episode 4.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm gonna wait to catch this one on TV so I'll hold off participating here as I don't want any spoilers just yet. I hope it's good though. Fingers crossed!

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I'm planning to catch all series on demand. I've not watched a single full episode yet.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm planning to catch all series on demand. I've not watched a single full episode yet.

Have you seen the first series? If not, you will still like this one. :)

Bluce Ree

Have you seen the first series? If not, you will still like this one. :)

Not a single episode. I've always wanted to but when I figured out it was playing on BBCA it was too far into the series, so, I figured I'd hold off until it was available. Since then, though, I kind of forgot. :icon_lol: This thread was a good reminder. I'm planning to catch all the series.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Not a single episode. I've always wanted to but when I figured out it was playing on BBCA it was too far into the series, so, I figured I'd hold off until it was available. Since then, though, I kind of forgot. :icon_lol: This thread was a good reminder. I'm planning to catch all the series.

The first series is pure producer's genius. Really it is. The original premise had Dr Cutter in charge, a Dr Rush type, about the same age, surrounded by a crew of youngsters chasing cool Stargate-like portals called "anomalies". But they appear randomly, connecting to the past. The villan is none other than his own wife Helen, and that makes for some great tension and intrigue. Then there is Claudia, and we then get Connor and Abby. The show starts to drag but wait...they kill of Cutter who is the MAIN character. The show is brilliantly changed and feels fresh again. Then it starts to bog down and they make the portals also connect to the future which brings with it some new creatures which do not yet exist. Then Claudia's character is completely remade into a new character with a different name but it is the same actress playing a "Claudia-like" character in a completely new timeline which has the whole operation under the ARC (Anomaly Research Center) and the new timeline is slicker and more interesting than the old one and Connor and Abby never go back to the old timeline. Brilliantly done. Alexander Siddig is brought in as Philip late in the show. Im giving away a lot here, but you have to see it. It feels very Stargate-y.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Please tell me, Amanda Tapping doesn't have a fake British accent again, does she? :McKayrolleyes:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Amanda Tapping is behind the camera in this show - Sam is someone else.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Amanda Tapping is behind the camera in this show- Sam is someone else.

Yes but does she talk with a fake British accent? :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG....I was loving this show all the way up to episode 7, and now they are throwing in that Toby is a lesbian/bisexual into the show with a surprise lesbian gay kiss with the anomaly as the backdrop? Not only did the show already do the kiss with the anomaly as the backdrop with Sam and Mac, but both times it was unnecessary. Look, I have no issue with Toby being gay, since they dropped a few hints before in the last episode before this, episode 6. But it is too soon to do this in the show. Too many interpersonal relationship things happening in the show. I actually paused the episode I was watching at the gay kiss to write this. I dont see how this will work in the show. Torchwood did this without showing Jack lip locking with another guy, even though he frequently spoke of gay encounters. It wouldnt have added to the show, and it did add a dimension to the character. In Primeval New World, Toby's gayness does not add to her character.

First unnecessary scene for me was Toby doing an ENTIRE EPISODE in a black camisole and red panties:

Capture.png

Then, they brought the incredibly hot Samantha into the show, and promptly killed her off to change Mac's character from a squirrely yes man into a hard ass fighter with a perpetual erection and a grudge to avenge. But not before they showed us this:

showerscene.png

And now, they have introduced Toby's gayness with this from episode 7 which I am watching:

primevalkiss.png

Anyway, back to this episode and on to episode 8 and I will be all caught up. :)
--- merged: Jan 13, 2013 at 12:18 AM ---
:facepalm:....now they are gonna ship the main character with his CFO? Episode 8 gives us a budding new ship with Ange (the female CFO) and Evan Cross (the owner/President of Cross Photonics). WTF? This shipping is not at all necessary in this show with the action from the dinosaurs and the anomalies. If they continue on this path, the soap suds are gonna block out the story.

anotherkiss.png

:anim_03: :bored: :facepalm:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Episode 8 is halfway through, and Evan is crazy seeing invisible dinosaurs. Ange has dumped her designer suits and clothes for sweats and skin tight yoga pants and tennis shoes. :facepalm:

jump_the_shark.jpg

So, Syfy has bought the rights to this show? Unless they put this train back on the tracks, its a goner IMO. It has a GREAT premise, and the first show managed 5 seasons, even though they twisted it a bit to keep it going. In this show, they already have a good core show and they are adding too much "seasoning" into the mix without allowing the audience to keep up the pace. Who does this shit to shows? Why do they keep thinking they have to outdo each episode with such outrageous reveals and shock and awe?

:bored:

Ill still watch, but Im getting bored with this show already after 8 episodes.
--- merged: Jan 13, 2013 at 1:14 AM ---
Now Mac is actually an alternate Mac and Ange is leaving after all? And Lt Leeds is a double agent? All this crap has ruined it for me. But I will stick around for a few more episodes. The first show was better by a large margin to me.

Bluce Ree

Really? So, they're going for the wanker boy / shock factor / shipping angles to bolster ratings? Aw, come on!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Really? So, they're going for the wanker boy / shock factor / shipping angles to bolster ratings? Aw, come on!

That's the thing. I don't know the ratings for this show at the moment. But indications are either that they are doing as you said, or even worse they could have planned this crap from the beginning. Im going with the ratings boost theory. I cant for the life of me understand why they would start Toby out as the show's hottie, march her around in dangerously skimpy tops and have her in a camisole, then hint at a Mac/Toby ship, only to make her a lesbian later? And why have a Mac from another timeline? Why the whole thing with Ange ready to leave Cross Photonics and then have a catharsis and decide to stay in episode 7, but then to mess it up with episode 8 and have her leave? :facepalm:

When you are watching a show and there is a "wait a minute...." pause at several points in the show where they do 90° turns in the plot, that is not a good thing. The first series also made some 90° turns, but the producers were well up to the task and it was done well. There is a distinct disconnect between this show and the first show. Connor was from the British team at the ARC and they already had a solid handle on the anomalies, and in this show they hardly know anything about them. They are struggling to find funding support and they are involving the military? :facepalm: This one is not gonna last.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They have introduced Louis Ferreria (Col Young from SGU) into the series as the military head of Magnet. In this role, he is actually pretty good! He appears in Episodes 10 and 11. Lt Leeds has been exposed, and covert anomaly operations have been uncovered by Cross' team. Toby has moved the anomoly detection network to a new location, and Ange has reappeared briefly. Its getting even more interesting! The original storyline from Primeval can be merged if they reveal what the A.R.C. is. That entity is where we got Connor and Abby from the first series. This cliffhanger is a good one!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, the season is over and they have created a helluva cliffhanger. Overall, Season 1 has been a good run, but there have been some rough spots and slippery storyline elements. We still do not have the A.R.C, even though now a hard connection has been made to it. ASnd in the premiere, we had Connor from the UK series in a guest role. This show needs Connor or at least ONE character from the original show. A surprise, Lexa Doig has been cast in this show as the doctor (she gets those roles!) Ange is back. The show is watchable and done in a similar style to Warehouse 13, but with dinosaurs and portals (anomalies). I dont like something I am seeing, however. In the UK series, the anomalies used to only open to the past and dinosaurs would come through. Later, they started making them go into the future and they created future creatures which came through. That made it cheesy, and the whole "save the future" things ruined a lot of it for me. This show is evidently going to try that same thing but this time, they are going into the RECENT past. The last episode allowed Evan Cross to go into his own lab just a few years back. The cliffhanger was all over the place.

Anyway, I think the show deserves a Season 2, and I don't know what the ratings have been. If you have not seen it, I suggest it for good old fashioned watching entertainment. Its far from perfect, but worth watching. :)

FULL EPISODE: (will most likely be deleted by YouTube)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Episode 13 rescues Toby from her imminent death from a prehistoric giant scorpion sting, and Connor Temple from the original Primeval series reprises his role in this episode. Ange is heading Project Magnet now, and she sent a rescue team in to retrieve Evan from a collapsed cavern.

Anybody watching this series? Its actually pretty damned good! :)