Preview & Discussion : Sanctuary episode #319 "Out Of The Blue" *Spoilers*

How would you grade this episode?

• F (Hated it! Never want to see this one again)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan

Sanctuary "out of the blue" review.

Screen shot 2011-06-10 at 12.45.16.png

Out Of the Blue

GF Rating: 4 Star.png

GF Episode Review:
TBP

PLOT - Will and Helen suddenly find themselves living as neighbors on a peaceful, tree-lined, suburban street - neighbors who experience unsettling dreams which disrupt their sense of normalcy.

EPISODE NUMBER - 319
ORIGINAL AIR DATE - June 13, 2011
WRITTEN BY - Damian Kindler
DIRECTED BY - Martin Wood
GUEST STARS - Pascale Hutton (Abby Corigan), Matty Finochio (Virgil St. Pierre), Adrian Holmes (Lab Technician)

Syfy Promo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xBqO95KBT0

Sneak Peek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otaMUuKslKE

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
The previews remind me of that SG1 episode where Sam & Jack wake up in the fake future SGC (created by Hathor) and the one where Fifth tries to trick Sam into thinking she's living a normal life apart from Stargate. But even more than that, if you watched "Tempests" (Outer Limits) you'll recognize it immediately: link.

Anyhow, I thought we were going to find out who was responsible for the time dilation field and from the previews this seems like a completely different storyline. :icon_e_confused:

G

Graybrew1

I really liked this one. I got my Sanctuary back. It managed to have several of the team members, with a little twist at the end. Not alot of snark but some, with an abnormal, and some scifi thrown in. And I do believe we now will get to go back to middle earth to finish that storyline up properly this time. That would be great. :biggrin:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep, back to Hollow Earth it seems - and Druitt back to boot.

Nice episode - definite psychological angle that gave it tension and a great twist ending.

G

Graybrew1

I will say the Will did look much older in this ep, must have been the suit and tie. Who knew? That is what he should be wearing all the time if they insist on making him the "stud" of the show. ;) :icon_lol:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I will say the Will did look much older in this ep, must have been the suit and tie. Who knew? That is what he should be wearing all the time if they insist on making him the "stud" of the show. ;) :icon_lol:

Or sunglasses and a goatee like Bauhaus Spock.........:icon_e_biggrin:

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
The poll is up for "Out Of the Blue". I'll grade the episode myself once I get the chance to watch it.

And thanks for you guys that graded the other episodes - maybe we can create an average grade for each episode from our members' votes :)

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
OK, indeed very close to Outer Limits "Tempests", especially with the bit about the worm putting its victims in a delusional state before devouring them. And with a twist of Vanilla Skies on top when they jumped off the cliff - pretty obvious reference IMO!

I didn't like this episode because I think they stretched out the drama too much before revealing the solution to the problem. Sure, it's always nice to see Helen, Will, John & Abby out of character, playing different roles, but this felt like the alternative to what would have been a clip show right before the finale. I can understand fans who are more into drama might have liked it, but I gave my first "D" :(

G

Graybrew1

OK, indeed very close to Outer Limits "Tempests", especially with the bit about the worm putting its victims in a delusional state before devouring them. And with a twist of Vanilla Skies on top when they jumped off the cliff - pretty obvious reference IMO!

I didn't like this episode because I think they stretched out the drama too much before revealing the solution to the problem. Sure, it's always nice to see Helen, Will, John & Abby out of character, playing different roles, but this felt like the alternative to what would have been a clip show right before the finale. I can understand fans who are more into drama might have liked it, but I gave my first "D" :(

You ever notice, how we never agree when it comes to this show? LOL.:icon_e_wink:

I give it an A.

Fel

GateFans Noob
I very much enjoyed this one. I was actually thinking at the beginning "wouldn't it be awesome if it were for their own good somehow?"

They probably should have explained things to Magnus and Will earlier though, for their own safety... because getting in Magnus's face all "muwahaha, ominous, don't fight, you can't win!" tends to considerably shorten one's life expectancy. Nameless lab techs, you were very lucky this time.

Admittedly perhaps they didn't explain it because it would have damaged Magnus and Will's sanity OR because they wouldn't have believed them anyway...

G

Graybrew1

I very much enjoyed this one. I was actually thinking at the beginning "wouldn't it be awesome if it were for their own good somehow?"

They probably should have explained things to Magnus and Will earlier though, for their own safety... because getting in Magnus's face all "muwahaha, ominous, don't fight, you can't win!" tends to considerably shorten one's life expectancy. Nameless lab techs, you were very lucky this time.

Admittedly perhaps they didn't explain it because it would have damaged Magnus and Will's sanity OR because they wouldn't have believed them anyway...

Glad somebody agrees with me on this one. :icon_e_wink:

The only thiing that bothered me, when I rewatched it last night, was the comment that "they might all die" if Magnus and Will did not stop trying to fight it. Why? I thought only they were affected and the abonormal was already captured?

Mr. A

Super Moderator +

Yes, they probably would've rejected the dream reality too early if they had known from the beginning, and would've tried to leave it resulting in brain damage like they explained at the end.
That, and probably Virgil's people are just mercenary jerks with no regard for their patient.

The poll results look interesting now :icon_lol:
I'm curious to see how Joelist liked this one...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It worked for me.

This was definitely more of a psychological episode and not an actioner. I did like the twist at the end also.

As to the lab assistants, I can think of three explanations:

1) They said that on purpose (per Mr. A) to help keep them in the muck as long as was needed.

2) They never really said it - Helen imagined it.

3) There were speaking more big picture - without Helen and Will to work out the sudden abnormal attacks they're all sunk.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Ravi is back and young again?! What's going on here? :vala-newanime026:
BTW, multiple sites listing Ravi as a character for this episode were wrong, as he obviously wasn't in it. Maybe he will come back young again in a future episode due to some plot device, but this one just wasn't it.
The information has been corrected to include the special guests who did show up for "Out of the Blue". :)

Fel

GateFans Noob
Here's a shot at a recap... admittedly I do not have a Tivo or other recording device, so I've only seen it once, so if I get any facts wrong, please do correct me...

===============================

Out of the Blue opens with Will happily married to a pregnant Abbey, causing single female fans of Sanctuary everywhere to question their reason for living (or at least so the writers would hope). All is not lost, however. The sight of a painting, coffee-drinking (gasp!) Magnus living next door reveals that Things Are Not As They Seem.

Sure enough, whenever Will and Magnus sleep, they wake up floating in a tank surrounded by lab technicians, who hurry to drug them and return them to the suburbs. Naturally, this interferes with Will's suburban career as a cardiovascular surgeon, and further pains Magnus, who is also dealing with divorce proceedings against her husband, Druitt (of course). More surprising is the fact that Druitt is apparently running for office and doing quite well, which makes one ponder the effectiveness of "Vote for me or I get all stabby" as a campaign slogan.

Magnus tries to figure out the meaning of the infinity symbols flashing in the corners of her vision, but is interrupted by sleep, bringing her back to the mysterious laboratory and face to face with Virgil St. Pierre. "You can't win!" he menaces at her menacingly. She glares defiantly, and the average life expectancy of the lab techs drops sharply in response as Magnus is put back to sleep.

Will and Magnus go back and forth between the two worlds, eventually getting over their initial neighborly dislike and realizing that they're in this together, even if they can't remember what the together part is based on. Eventually, they conclude that they are, in fact, in a dream, and decide the only way out is to commit suicide so that their minds cannot return to the dream state again. They hop in the car and drive off despite the frantic protests of Abbey and Druitt, then speed dangerously up the conveniently cliffy seaside road out of their subdivision.

Magnus floors it. The car smashes through the barrier and plunges down, down, down into the ocean.... and Magnus and Will awaken simultaneously. Fortunately, the lab techs have taken a coffee break (that or they are very, very fast runners with an excellent self-preservation instinct). Virgil appears, backed by Henry and Kate. They reveal that Magnus and Will were both attacked by a giant worm-type thing from Hollow Earth with a bite that may cause blurred vision, tingling of the extremities, nausea, shortness of breath, and insanity followed by certain death. There was no time to get Magnus and Will back to Sanctuary, so they're in Virgil's secret lab, where they have been kept unconscious while the venom wears off.

G

Graybrew1

Here's a shot at a recap... admittedly I do not have a Tivo or other recording device, so I've only seen it once, so if I get any facts wrong, please do correct me...

===============================

Out of the Blue opens with Will happily married to a pregnant Abbey, causing single female fans of Sanctuary everywhere to question their reason for living (or at least so the writers would hope). All is not lost, however. The sight of a painting, coffee-drinking (gasp!) Magnus living next door reveals that Things Are Not As They Seem.

Sure enough, whenever Will and Magnus sleep, they wake up floating in a tank surrounded by lab technicians, who hurry to drug them and return them to the suburbs. Naturally, this interferes with Will's suburban career as a cardiovascular surgeon, and further pains Magnus, who is also dealing with divorce proceedings against her husband, Druitt (of course). More surprising is the fact that Druitt is apparently running for office and doing quite well, which makes one ponder the effectiveness of "Vote for me or I get all stabby" as a campaign slogan.

Magnus tries to figure out the meaning of the infinity symbols flashing in the corners of her vision, but is interrupted by sleep, bringing her back to the mysterious laboratory and face to face with Virgil St. Pierre. "You can't win!" he menaces at her menacingly. She glares defiantly, and the average life expectancy of the lab techs drops sharply in response as Magnus is put back to sleep.

Will and Magnus go back and forth between the two worlds, eventually getting over their initial neighborly dislike and realizing that they're in this together, even if they can't remember what the together part is based on. Eventually, they conclude that they are, in fact, in a dream, and decide the only way out is to commit suicide so that their minds cannot return to the dream state again. They hop in the car and drive off despite the frantic protests of Abbey and Druitt, then speed dangerously up the conveniently cliffy seaside road out of their subdivision.

Magnus floors it. The car smashes through the barrier and plunges down, down, down into the ocean.... and Magnus and Will awaken simultaneously. Fortunately, the lab techs have taken a coffee break (that or they are very, very fast runners with an excellent self-preservation instinct). Virgil appears, backed by Henry and Kate. They reveal that Magnus and Will were both attacked by a giant worm-type thing from Hollow Earth with a bite that may cause blurred vision, tingling of the extremities, nausea, shortness of breath, and insanity followed by certain death. There was no time to get Magnus and Will back to Sanctuary, so they're in Virgil's secret lab, where they have been kept unconscious while the venom wears off.

So, nice to see a new member taking the time to do a review.
Thank you. :biggrin:
More Green for you.