Preview & Discussion : Sanctuary episode #316 "Awakening" * Spoilers *

How would you grade this episode?

• A+ (Awesome! The best, or one of the best of the show)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D (Didn't like it)

• F (Hated it! Never want to see this one again)

• Total voters

Mr. A

Super Moderator +

Afina.png

Awakening

GF Rating: 4.5 Star.png

Episode review by Joelist: http://www.gatefans.net/forums/showthread.php/2314-Review-Sanctuary-Ep316-Awakening

PLOT - Magnus and Tesla inadvertently stumble upon secrets of the Vampiris race when they investigate a former Praxian stronghold - and encounter Afina, Queen of the Vampires. Meanwhile, Kate's past comes back to haunt her.

EPISODE NUMBER - 316
ORIGINAL AIR DATE - May 16, 2011
WRITTEN BY - Gillian Horvath
DIRECTED BY - Lee Wilson
GUEST STARS - Jonathon Young (Nikola Tesla), Aliyah O'Brien (Afina), Sean Rogerson (Caster)

Syfy Promo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZDaNXDfek0

Sneak Peek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlvN19EFlpo

G

Graybrew1

I have been waiting for Tesla to come back, and watching the previews for it. Maybe I am not the only one. ;)

S

Stonelesscutter

While watching Sanctuary's latest episode 'Awakening' I was at first struck with joy because it appeared it was going to be quite a good one.
However later on I felt disappointed with it. Sure, Tesla got his vampire thing back, but that's about the only good thing about this episode.
They found an ancient queen of the vampires in a place that used to be inhabited by the 'underground people' and later on by vampires.
Then they killed her whilst simultaneously blowing up the whole place.
I can't believe they started up an amazing story with this twist and then shot it in the face with a double barrelled shotgun.
Also the location was disappointing. Two rooms and that was it for Helen. Ofcourse Tesla got to be in three rooms if you count the dungeon.

G

Graybrew1

While watching Sanctuary's latest episode 'Awakening' I was at first struck with joy because it appeared it was going to be quite a good one.
However later on I felt disappointed with it. Sure, Tesla got his vampire thing back, but that's about the only good thing about this episode.
They found an ancient queen of the vampires in a place that used to be inhabited by the 'underground people' and later on by vampires.
Then they killed her whilst simultaneously blowing up the whole place.
I can't believe they started up an amazing story with this twist and then shot it in the face with a double barrelled shotgun.
Also the location was disappointing. Two rooms and that was it for Helen. Ofcourse Tesla got to be in three rooms if you count the dungeon.

We never did get to see the body, or the actual death. So, Who Knows? Plus she knows about Hollow Earth, so maybe they will bring us back to that storyline and finish it properly. Or better yet, make them true allies and include them in the show more. I thought it was a big step in the right direction.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well, to be accurate she blew herself up after she was tricked into trying to use Praxian technology which specifically had anti-vampire protection in it (this exact device was triggered in an earlier episode by Tesla, and led to the bracelets being created to hide abnormal dna signs).

As to the sets, that is part of Sanctuary - it is a "small set" show and is plot rather than visual driven. Both stories to me were effective and the A story also advanced Tesla's arc (both revamping him and also correcting some of romanticizing about his heritage). Plus I have a funny feeling that if one "Queen" can be in stasis more can also be. I also liked the B story digging more into Kate motives and showing her troubles in truly putting her shady past behind her.

S

Stonelesscutter

Well, to be accurate she blew herself up after she was tricked into trying to use Praxian technology which specifically had anti-vampire protection in it (this exact device was triggered in an earlier episode by Tesla, and led to the bracelets being created to hide abnormal dna signs).

As to the sets, that is part of Sanctuary - it is a "small set" show and is plot rather than visual driven. Both stories to me were effective and the A story also advanced Tesla's arc (both revamping him and also correcting some of romanticizing about his heritage). Plus I have a funny feeling that if one "Queen" can be in stasis more can also be. I also liked the B story digging more into Kate motives and showing her troubles in truly putting her shady past behind her.

I didn't really like Kate's schoolyard attitude when she told her old 'friend' "I'm not alone. I'm with the Sanctuary now." Meaning, he'd better watch his back coz they'd be coming for him. It felt sooo childish. Otherwise she was okay though.
By the way, where were Henry and Will in this episode??? I so don't like the fact that they're supposed to be a group/team that carries the show but in one ep we get to see a couple of 'em then in another ep we see some others. Gives me the feeling that they pay the actors per episode and are scraping the barrel. I want to see the whole team.

S

Stonelesscutter

We never did get to see the body, or the actual death. So, Who Knows? Plus she knows about Hollow Earth, so maybe they will bring us back to that storyline and finish it properly. Or better yet, make them true allies and include them in the show more. I thought it was a big step in the right direction.

Theoretically them vamps are lightning fast so she could have escaped the same way Helen and Tesla did without having been seen.
That's not the feeling I got from the episode though. I think they wanted the queen to be dead.

G

Graybrew1

So you don't think the cut scene right before the explosion could be a hint that she escaped? If she did not, then how could have any of the other possible Queen's survived?
I liked The B storyline, but I would like to see Kate start to really shining through on the assignments like she did in the beginning. Last couple of eps it felt like she was around as a bit of a Tesla snark replacement.

G

Graybrew1

Theoretically them vamps are lightning fast so she could have escaped the same way Helen and Tesla did without having been seen.
That's not the feeling I got from the episode though. I think they wanted the queen to be dead.

That is what I was thinking, mostly because they cut away from that scene. It might have been done as a dramatic effect, but If she is truly gone, they could have had a really cool CGI scene with the Queen blowing up. LOL :P

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So you don't think the cut scene right before the explosion could be a hint that she escaped? If she did not, then how could have any of the other possible Queen's survived?
I liked The B storyline, but I would like to see Kate start to really shining through on the assignments like she did in the beginning. Last couple of eps it felt like she was around as a bit of a Tesla snark replacement.

What I meant was that if one Queen was preserved like this why not other Queens in other places - she did say there were multiple Kings and Queens after all.

G

Graybrew1

I didn't really like Kate's schoolyard attitude when she told her old 'friend' "I'm not alone. I'm with the Sanctuary now." Meaning, he'd better watch his back coz they'd be coming for him. It felt sooo childish. Otherwise she was okay though.
By the way, where were Henry and Will in this episode??? I so don't like the fact that they're supposed to be a group/team that carries the show but in one ep we get to see a couple of 'em then in another ep we see some others. Gives me the feeling that they pay the actors per episode and are scraping the barrel. I want to see the whole team.

I don't know if every ep can have every member of the team, or that might get old too. I think Will's character needs some tweaking personally, I have no interest in this new relationship of his, he needs something to make him interesting again.

G

Graybrew1

What I meant was that if one Queen was preserved like this why not other Queens in other places - she did say there were multiple Kings and Queens after all.

Possibly. I did think that she made a point to say that they only picked one each time.

S

Stonelesscutter

I don't know if every ep can have every member of the team, or that might get old too. I think Will's character needs some tweaking personally, I have no interest in this new relationship of his, he needs something to make him interesting again.

Sounds to me like you just want to have him to yourself. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why did they have to put him in a relationship at all? :facepalm:. I dont like the way they have coupled up Connor and Abby on Primeval. It ruins the show because it opens up the box of soap and changes the dynamic of the characters. Will is best as the "bright eyed newbie", not the show's stud.

G

Graybrew1

Why did they have to put him in a relationship at all? :facepalm:. I dont like the way they have coupled up Connor and Abby on Primeval. It ruins the show because it opens up the box of soap and changes the dynamic of the characters. Will is best as the "bright eyed newbie", not the show's stud.

yeah, that's why I think they need to tweak the character. He's been there too long to be the newbie now, so they need something else to make him interesting, and it's not this relationship with some character I don't care about and he has no chemistry with. I'm not a writer, so I don't know what it might be, but hopefully they will.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Will is being styled after "action Jackson", but it's happened a little too fast for my taste, and I'm half a season behind you guys.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They are going to try to put him in a relationship until they find one that works I guess. Really as long as it does not show up too often it isn't that big a deal. The thing is, Will would probably be best paired with a fairly quiet person, and there really aren't any they currently have.

In any event, having Tesla back to his vampiric self is more than compensation for Will having a little bit of ship time.

G

Graybrew1

Call me picky, but it it's not interesting don't show me the scene. His relationship with her to me is boring. I think he would actually be better off, if forced to pick, with a very out spoken kick ass type of woman. But I agree the most important part of this show is getting the correct vibe going again. Tesla was a great start, and Druitt would be even better. I would like to see a little more humor, like the "can you change my lightbulb dude", and Helen was like, "We have a wench for that." That was good. Give me that back, with some better abnormals and a little higher quality special effects would not hurt either. ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Druitt's coming soon. And the humor is there - I had to laugh that they actually had Tesla ask Helen "so you're going to revamp me?". It seems someone there reads fan forums.