Post about a Science Fiction or other genre show you like and why you like it!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
two categories

what I like that others seems to like
and

what I like that others seem to hate

what i like/others

Babylon 5--great story and for the time, great visuals. their aliens looked like they were real--no obv rubber masks,etc

UFO---i was a kid, it was pre Star Wars and it was just very cool to watch, and the purple hair ONLY when the women went to Moon base, what was that about?

the PLANET OF THE APES tv series--again, kids stuff makes a lasting impression

SPACE 1999 --The whole concept to me of the moon going for a trip was -again, I was a kid- intriguing and seemed original. NOT star wars or star trek, although it had 'pew, pew' and exploration

Farscape was ok
Sliders-- fun to watch, though after a few seasons it got kind of stale

and of course-THE EXPANSE AND 12 MONKEYS
for the expanse--the story, the flow of the story, the 'heroes' who don't want to be, they just get it done, and the visuals

12 monkeys, mostly the story, the idea expanded and improved from the movie-- that the show DOESN'T overtly rely on visuals/SFX. if you knew nothing about it and dropped by a ongoing ep, you just may not think it was sci fi, until they sit in the chair

and SG1 and SGA--because--well this IS gatefans.net :)

what i like and others hate-or seem to hate
( i will not engage in 'argument' about these, just answering Joe's question :icon_neutral: :love_heart::love_heart: )

LOST--at first I liked it because it appeared to be a dramatized version of SURVIVOR, then quietly slipped in to sci fi. then the story of the idea of secret groups (several over time) colonizing a mystery island and how the actions of individuals got them to that place--either through the group or by the plane

FRINGE-- like XFILES on steroids, LAST season sucked though and was a "phone it in" by the TPTB's. imo

BSG-- yup, if you have been here for awhile you've probably been waiting till i got to this!!

i know most of you HATE IT (with a few exceptions) or you liked season 1 and 2 then thought it went whacko mid season 3 (after the new caprica rescue)

i get that-- but having JUST finished re-watching it all on HULU in a period of like 6 days, IMO it is not as disjointed as some of you seem to remember

1 point--the issue with Baltar and the 'head/angel 6'. early on, it was established by her that she was 'an angel of god' though she laughed it off along with Baltar. this is in accordance with the 'beings of light' from the original. there was also a 'head/angel baltar' and of course Starbuck was nothing but the same type of being-though she didn't know it-who was visible to everyone.

HEAD 6 told this, in a way, to Baltar, it only caused Baltar to sleep with her though, ahead of time when she told him that Starbuck was special 'pay attn to this one' I believe is what she said

of course an 'angel of god' is not sci fi unless you allow for "god" or "angels" and their actions to be a creation of a more highly advanced race-again like the beings of light race in TOS

other reasons why? story, the military aspect and just how fast military decorum and morale can disintegrate in a situation like this. the social aspect and how the civvies in the fleet just failed to grasp the fact that 'all was lost' from the civilization, yet they kept demanding their rights and services as if nothing had changed

and yes, the whole final 5 issue was very poorly exposed--Tyrol and Col tighe made sense but the others, imo, were used, just because they were already on the payroll

CAPRICA-- because it is a pre-series to BSG of course!

TIME TRAX--only watched it because it came on right before B5 when both were on the PRIME network
so many ppl hated this show! QL rip off i guess?

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
Space 1999 was unusual, even if it probably came from the "Thunderbird is a go" people. I love how the writers on "Ancient Aliens" claim that NASA figured out that the moon is just one huge inter-planetary vehicle and is hollow inside.

After growing up on British shows I am not surprised that 'The Champions' is never mentioned.

While investing more than 1 hour of my time on both LOST and BSG I find it really strange that LOST ended in a very unusual way after the controversial ending of BSG the year earlier.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
While investing more than 1 hour of my time on both LOST and BSG I find it really strange that LOST ended in a very unusual way after the controversial ending of BSG the year earlier.

now, now

something tells me that CAPROCAINE would not have been so timid in this post?! :) :)

I'll let you folks figure out which genre this fits in.

roflbot.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Another favorite of mine, The Invaders.

An old, Martin Quinn production of "The Invaders" had a really great premise. It was ahead of it's time in terms of audience, and it was cancelled suddenly without an ending after two seasons. There was a disconnected re-imagining of the series in 1995 starring Scott Bacula, but it was not really like the original show (not as good IMO). This show is a great candidate for revival. Great premise if done in a unique way. Think, "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" meets "X-Files".

Another favorite of mine, The Invaders.

An old, Martin Quinn production of "The Invaders" had a really great premise. It was ahead of it's time in terms of audience, and it was cancelled suddenly without an ending after two seasons. There was a disconnected re-imagining of the series in 1995 starring Scott Bacula, but it was not really like the original show (not as good IMO). This show is a great candidate for revival. Great premise if done in a unique way. Think, "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" meets "X-Files".

I remember the name but don't remember the show. What do you remember about it?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I remember the name but don't remember the show. What do you remember about it?

Pretty much everything. :) I have rewatched it several times. The premise is that the earth is quietly being invaded by aliens who look like humans but have quirks like a bent little finger, and a few other things. When they die, they incinerate into dust which is the biggest giveaway, except that they have to die for anyone to see it. They have an agenda to control the earth and clear the way for a full scale invasion, and David Vincent (our protagonist) is just an architect who happened to witness a landing himself. He finds out that these aliens are in the military, in business, in control of key companies or control stations without knowledge of their associates. He exposes some, kills some. It goes on like that throughout the show.