Poll: Your favorite all-time science fiction movies.

S

Stonelesscutter

Here's a definition of scifi from wikipedia which may help us.
Then again it may cause even more confusion. :)

Science fiction is a genre of fiction dealing with the impact of imagined innovations in science or technology, often in a futuristic setting.[1][2][3] Exploring the consequences of such innovations is the traditional purpose of science fiction, making it a "literature of ideas".[4]
Science fiction is largely based on writing rationally about alternative possibilities.[5] It is similar to, but differs from fantasy in that, within the context of the story, its imaginary elements are largely possible within scientifically established or scientifically postulated laws of nature (though some elements in a story might still be pure imaginative speculation).
The settings for science fiction are often contrary to known reality but the majority of science fiction relies on a considerable degree of suspension of disbelief, which is facilitated in the reader's mind by potential scientific explanations or solutions to various fictional elements. These may include:

• A setting in the future, in alternative timelines, or in an historical past that contradicts known facts of history or the archaeological record
  • A setting in outer space, on other worlds, or involving aliens[6]
  • Stories that involve technology or scientific principles that contradict known laws of nature[7]
  • Stories that involve discovery or application of new scientific principles, such as time travel or psionics, or new technology, such as nanotechnology, faster-than-light travel or robots, or of new and different political or social systems (e.g., a dystopia, or a situation where organized society has collapsed)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction

S

Stonelesscutter

We could ofcourse solve this whole problem by simply including fantasy in the list. :D

G

Graybrew1

Here's a definition of scifi from wikipedia which may help us.
Then again it may cause even more confusion. :)

Science fiction is a genre of fiction dealing with the impact of imagined innovations in science or technology, often in a futuristic setting.[1][2][3] Exploring the consequences of such innovations is the traditional purpose of science fiction, making it a "literature of ideas".[4]
Science fiction is largely based on writing rationally about alternative possibilities.[5] It is similar to, but differs from fantasy in that, within the context of the story, its imaginary elements are largely possible within scientifically established or scientifically postulated laws of nature (though some elements in a story might still be pure imaginative speculation).
The settings for science fiction are often contrary to known reality but the majority of science fiction relies on a considerable degree of suspension of disbelief, which is facilitated in the reader's mind by potential scientific explanations or solutions to various fictional elements. These may include:

• A setting in the future, in alternative timelines, or in an historical past that contradicts known facts of history or the archaeological record
  • A setting in outer space, on other worlds, or involving aliens[6]
  • Stories that involve technology or scientific principles that contradict known laws of nature[7]
  • Stories that involve discovery or application of new scientific principles, such as time travel or psionics, or new technology, such as nanotechnology, faster-than-light travel or robots, or of new and different political or social systems (e.g., a dystopia, or a situation where organized society has collapsed)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction

This would confirm for me that the possiblity of a warp core that can take you through galaxys is about as likely as a gene that would mutute a human being into having special abilities.

S

Stonelesscutter

This would confirm for me that the possiblity of a warp core that can take you through galaxys is about as likely as a gene that would mutute a human being into having special abilities.

The gene is a part of nature, it's not created by a scientist. ;)

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
G

Graybrew1

The gene is a part of nature, it's not created by a scientist. ;)

Medicine is a science. Scientists are the ones that study genes. If you study it, you will be doing so in a science class.

From Wikipedia:
Genetics deals with the molecular structure and function of genes, with gene behavior in the context of a cell or organism

Does not sound like magic or fantasy to me.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
We could ofcourse solve this whole problem by simply including fantasy in the list. :D
Even then we'd have a problem, because then we would have to allow Alice in Wonderland, the Twilight Saga, Harry Potter, The Hobbit, Shrek, Ratatouille, Mary Poppins, Beetlejuice, The Last Unicorn, Peter Pan/Hook, Ghost... and this isn't what our site is about. You still have to draw the line at some point.

S

Stonelesscutter

Medicine is a science.

McKay would disagree with you. :P

Scientists are the ones that study genes. If you study it, you will be doing so in a science class.

From Wikipedia:
Genetics deals with the molecular structure and function of genes, with gene behavior in the context of a cell or organism

Does not sound like magic or fantasy to me.

I don't disagree with the premiss of genetics involving science but I think you're missing the point.
The X-Men movies are not about geniticists going about their business. They're about freaks of nature doing their freaky things. That makes it fantasy for me. If there would have been mad scientists creating mutants then it would have been scifi. You diggin me? :)

S

Stonelesscutter

Even then we'd have a problem, because then we would have to allow Alice in Wonderland, the Twilight Saga, Harry Potter, The Hobbit, Shrek, Ratatouille, Mary Poppins, Beetlejuice, The Last Unicorn, Peter Pan/Hook, Ghost... and this isn't what our site is about. You still have to draw the line at some point.

Okay so how about a compromise.
We don't allow fantasy on the list, unless it's in a gray area and after thorough discussion involving many forum members there is a fair amount of people (let's say over 33%) that still think it belongs.
How's that?

G

Graybrew1

McKay would disagree with you. :P

I don't disagree with the premiss of genetics involving science but I think you're missing the point.
The X-Men movies are not about geniticists going about their business. They're about freaks of nature doing their freaky things. That makes it fantasy for me. If there would have been mad scientists creating mutants then it would have been scifi. You diggin me? :)

No, Mckay is a fictional character. Medicine is a science.

XMen is all about them being born this way and learning how to restrain and use these genetic mutations through both only the use of themselves or as in Cyclop's case with the assistance of scientific gadgets and other science. For instance look at what Prof X did what his ability and Cerebro. Sryker himself performs scientific testing on the mutants including his own son. They also have the XJet and if it the movies continue they will eventually leave the planet and fight aliens.

SciphonicStranger

Why are you laughing about that?
I'm being serious. :)

Hope I didn't offend - I love Apollo 13, but unless they used a wormhole or something to get home I can't see how it can be science fiction. :D

S

Stonelesscutter

Hope I didn't offend - I love Apollo 13, but unless they used a wormhole or something to get home I can't see how it can be science fiction. :D

Well almost the whole movie is set in a spacecraft. If there's no science there then science must be a fictional concept. :)
And it's a fictional story because it's not something that actually happened. Even though it's probably based upon events that really happened.
What do the other guys think about this?

SciphonicStranger

Well almost the whole movie is set in a spacecraft. If there's no science there then science must be a fictional concept. :)
And it's a fictional story because it's not something that actually happened. Even though it's probably based upon events that really happened.
What do the other guys think about this?

I consider it historical drama but that is just my opinion. Hey, I have Ghostbusters on my list and that probably doesn't belong either. :)

S

Stonelesscutter

No, Mckay is a fictional character. Medicine is a science.

XMen is all about them being born this way and learning how to restrain and use these genetic mutations through both only the use of themselves or as in Cyclop's case with the assistance of scientific gadgets and other science. For instance look at what Prof X did what his ability and Cerebro. Sryker himself performs scientific testing on the mutants including his own son. They also have the XJet and if it the movies continue they will eventually leave the planet and fight aliens.

Weeeeeellllllllll
Okay then. I think it's a borderline case. But it may be allowed as far as I'm concerned.