Poker

• Thread starter Stonelesscutter
  • Start date
S

Stonelesscutter

So for the past couple of years there's been a lot of poker games on tv on a couple of Dutch channels late at night. Occasionally I enjoy watching these games. Strangely enough though, I've never actually played poker myself. I've been thinking about going to one of them internet poker sites.

In a local cafe I sometimes go to they have a poker night on thursdays. It's always the same people playing and ofcourse they play for money. I've been talking to one of them and asked if there were sites where I could play poker for free, so I could get the hang of it. He mentioned Pokerstars offered that possibility. Though when I asked if it was possible to play with specific people he did not know. Another guy said that was possible but only if you played for money.

I would very much like to try playing poker sometime and I'd love to do it with you guys. I'm sure there's some poker-veterans here. After all, USA is where poker originated. Or at least that's what I've been made to believe.

So who of you would welcome this idea? More importantly, do any of you know how or where we could best do this?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I play stone, but I'm not a huge fan of online poker simply because it misses out on the social aspect of the game. Being able to "read people" and psycologically "mess with thier game" is an important part of poker, and one that does not translate well into an online version. Sure you could Vid conference and use headsets and stuff, but yeah, still not my thing.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I play stone, but I'm not a huge fan of online poker simply because it misses out on the social aspect of the game. Being able to "read people" and psycologically "mess with thier game" is an important part of poker, and one that does not translate well into an online version. Sure you could Vid conference and use headsets and stuff, but yeah, still not my thing.

The problem with online poker is that if there is money involved you never know if anyone is cheating. If there is no money involved some players just go all in all the time as they have nothing to lose. Now if we had some Gatefans prizes for the winners it could be fun...

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
The problem with online poker is that if there is money involved you never know if anyone is cheating. If there is no money involved some players just go all in all the time as they have nothing to lose. Now if we had some Gatefans prizes for the winners it could be fun...

You could work it via chat and have someone work the "house" with physical cards and chips and such I suppose and have that person PM the players thier hands and such. Alot of work for the "house" but it could work I guess.

S

Stonelesscutter

You could work it via chat and have someone work the "house" with physical cards and chips and such I suppose and have that person PM the players thier hands and such. Alot of work for the "house" but it could work I guess.

That sounds like an awful lot of work indeed. And one hand would take hours.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
That sounds like an awful lot of work indeed. And one hand would take hours.

Not really. I have played other kinds of card games this way, and it really does not take that long at all. It DOES however require the "house" tokeep thier head togeather.

S

Stonelesscutter

Not really. I have played other kinds of card games this way, and it really does not take that long at all. It DOES however require the "house" tokeep thier head togeather.

It does mean the "house" can't be playing though.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
It does mean the "house" can't be playing though.

Correct. The house however gets to know exactly whatis going on and who is bluffing and who has the cards to win. It may not be the same kind of fun, but it can be fun nonetheless, Just ask anyone who has ever refereed a RPG :D

S

Stonelesscutter

Correct. The house however gets to know exactly whatis going on and who is bluffing and who has the cards to win. It may not be the same kind of fun, but it can be fun nonetheless, Just ask anyone who has ever refereed a RPG :D

And so the house gets to learn all the habits of the other players and can benefit from that when playing him/herself.

S

Stonelesscutter

How about we play for green. :D