Passengers

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I think OM pays more than we do because he is in CA (high cost of living). I pay (when I go) $10 on prime evening slots and for the lower volume slots one can get in for $8. Sodas are a buck (but I prefer coffee which runs similar). The theaters close to me are kept nice and clean have good quality screens and such.

Like OM I prefer the boutique film houses over the big chains. Partly because the boutiques get first dibs on some of the more "artsy" films (like Shin Godzilla) and also they still get the bigger releases - just not as quickly. And I generally am in no hurry.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think OM pays more than we do because he is in CA (high cost of living). I pay (when I go) $10 on prime evening slots and for the lower volume slots one can get in for $8. Sodas are a buck (but I prefer coffee which runs similar). The theaters close to me are kept nice and clean have good quality screens and such.

Like OM I prefer the boutique film houses over the big chains. Partly because the boutiques get first dibs on some of the more "artsy" films (like Shin Godzilla) and also they still get the bigger releases - just not as quickly. And I generally am in no hurry.

EXACTLY. :) Theater chains here charge a minimum of $12.00 for matinee, and $15.00 for an adult ticket. Some locations offer a Senior discount for those 50 and older which now I qualify for! Still, for me even $12.00 seems too high for this crap that has been coming out. Netflix for a month is cheaper, for comparison.

Passengers is a romantic space story. It is not science fiction. And if you get a chance to see it later when it goes to Netflix or Amazon Prime, you will see what I mean.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I have little desire to see Passengers. Leaving aside the anchor known as Jennifer Lawrence weighing it down, I just am uninterested in seeing "When Harry Met Sally in Space!".

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have little desire to see Passengers. Leaving aside the anchor known as Jennifer Lawrence weighing it down, I just am uninterested in seeing "When Harry Met Sally in Space!".

What an apt description! It's just like that, only it takes place on a spaceship. And let me also mention this little tidbit:

There are exactly 4 characters in this entire movie, and one of them is in it for 30 minutes before he dies (Lawrence Fishburn) and the other is an android. Otherwise, it's just Jennifer and Chris, foreplay and romance. Literally. No extras, no other people or robots or anything except those two. The CGI is awesome, of course, but without that, it would not qualify as a major release. This story is so thin that the whole thing could be done by 4 actors on a high school auditorium stage with some creative sets.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Although I agree with you, I also know that they have a monopoly on first releases, when the studios could be releasing them directly to the audience (at least those who prefer to watch on their home theaters). If I had not lived as long as I have and watched the prices SUDDENLY jump after Jaws because the mega-theater chains started appearing, I would possibly sympathize with you. But I know that just the 8:00pm showing alone pays all of the costs for the theater and staff for the WHOLE day plus some profit. And because they are chains, the packed theater downtown pays for the slack of the half empty theater in the suburbs. They are not at all the victims here.

And there should be competition from independent theaters. I recently moved to Long Beach, and I live in a very retro neighborhood with a high hipster culture. On 4th Street, walking distance, is my neighborhood theater:

View attachment 33271
The cost of tickets naturally go up to keep in line with inflation. Everything has to go up in price. More demand there is the price will go up. It's the same reason why a 100 dollars now is not worth a 100 dollars in 10 years time. Here there is plenty of competitions, just not enough interesting movies to bother to go see but people flock in the thousands to go see a movie every thursday/friday/saturday or sunday. This goes from all age groups.

These theaters can charge $5.00 and you can get a whole large tub of popcorn for $2.00. Sodas and water are $1.00, and theater sized candy is $2.00. They cannot run Star Wars and Passengers because the mega theater chains get first dibs. Screw them. I would rather watch an independent film that the studios will NOT air because they had nothing to do with them, and have a nice theater night for under $20.00 and be able to walk home.

Anywhere huge corporations are advertising and pushing their future movies and merchandising items is somewhere I do not want to be. Besides that, the movies are no longer all that great and they are MILLIONS cheaper to make than 20 years ago in terms of actual production. Now, as much as 50% can be spent on advertising and tie-ins.
You don't set the price of the tickets. It's down to how much the market can bare. It's simple economics here. Customers are willing to pay 20 dollars to go see a movie in your area and they feel as though they are getting their money's worth. Advertising is done with good reason. It's because they face competition from both independent studio and large studios compete with each other to deliver a product and service because there is a high demand for it. You being an IT professional, and given that you've been in the industry for decades now, I am sure you earn a pretty nice salary yourself. I am not sure why you are fighting for 20 dollars. If it was 200 dollars, then I would be.

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
So all I am seeing in Kodi are a bunch of cam releases. I see a few in HD but most are cam such as Arrival ...I have Aires installed of course . Maybe I am not navigating Kodi correctly or something ...

:bashtechie:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So all I am seeing in Kodi are a bunch of cam releases. I see a few in HD but most are cam such as Arrival ...I have Aires installed of course . Maybe I am not navigating Kodi correctly or something ...

There are lots of cams in Kodi. :) But Passengers was a good one as was Rogue One. Arrival was a cam, yes. But watchable.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The cost of tickets naturally go up to keep in line with inflation. Everything has to go up in price. More demand there is the price will go up. It's the same reason why a 100 dollars now is not worth a 100 dollars in 10 years time. Here there is plenty of competitions, just not enough interesting movies to bother to go see but people flock in the thousands to go see a movie every thursday/friday/saturday or sunday. This goes from all age groups.

OMG, where did you get these ideas? No, there is nothing "natural" about ticket prices going up. There is nothing to be inflated. We went from several theater ushers in the theater which cost $6.00 to get in, and $1.00 popcorn and candy and sodas to $15.00 to get in, no ushers, and $6.00 popcorn and $4.00 Cokes. Last I looked, a whole pound of popcorn kernels costs less than $2.00 and makes dozens of tubs of popcorn. And a 2-liter of Coke is less than $2.00

Is it difficult to accept that there is just plain GREED involved in this? A pathetic and annoying money grab for profits worthy of a Ferengi? You cited "increasing demand" when demand is actually the lowest it has ever been before. Fewer people are going to the movies, but those few are paying three times the price they were paying 10 years ago. The cost of production has gone way way way down. No more building sets and doing costly location shots (because scifi is in space, right?). Skreli mentality is why the tickets are priced "what the market will bear". Huh? Charge more if the people around the theater are wealthy, and charge less where they arent? I am never going to support such an unfair economic model.

You don't set the price of the tickets. It's down to how much the market can bare. It's simple economics here. Customers are willing to pay 20 dollars to go see a movie in your area and they feel as though they are getting their money's worth.

Really? :) There is nothing simple about that economic model. Data has to be collected on the demographics of the specific area, attendance numbers need to be crunched and prices set accordingly. SIMPLE economics is to set a single ticket price statewide and charge all the same.

Advertising is done with good reason. It's because they face competition from both independent studio and large studios compete with each other to deliver a product and service because there is a high demand for it. You being an IT professional, and given that you've been in the industry for decades now, I am sure you earn a pretty nice salary yourself. I am not sure why you are fighting for 20 dollars. If it was 200 dollars, then I would be.

I hate advertising too. I don't want it in my movie experience. And believe me, the chain theaters are not facing any competition from independent theaters. Only the large handful of studios are competing for profits. The independent theaters are struggling and the big guys either buy them or buy the land and close them. Methinks you ended up on the wrong side of the fence on this topic?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
OMG, where did you get these ideas? No, there is nothing "natural" about ticket prices going up. There is nothing to be inflated. We went from several theater ushers in the theater which cost $6.00 to get in, and $1.00 popcorn and candy and sodas to $15.00 to get in, no ushers, and $6.00 popcorn and $4.00 Cokes. Last I looked, a whole pound of popcorn kernels costs less than $2.00 and makes dozens of tubs of popcorn. And a 2-liter of Coke is less than $2.00

Is it difficult to accept that there is just plain GREED involved in this? A pathetic and annoying money grab for profits worthy of a Ferengi? You cited "increasing demand" when demand is actually the lowest it has ever been before. Fewer people are going to the movies, but those few are paying three times the price they were paying 10 years ago. The cost of production has gone way way way down. No more building sets and doing costly location shots (because scifi is in space, right?). Skreli mentality is why the tickets are priced "what the market will bear". Huh? Charge more if the people around the theater are wealthy, and charge less where they arent? I am never going to support such an unfair economic model.

:facepalm: Everything goes up in price. It's inflation. It is the fundamentals of the money market and has been around for centuries. It is not your corporation way of making more money off you even though it may seem that way. It is how economics works. Things have to be adjusted to inflation. You want an example? Gone with the Wind is currently the highest grossing film adjusted to inflation, not avatar.
Here are all the movies currently who grossed the most when adjusted to inflation. Inflation also means that people's purchasing power increases, therefore the prices need to adjust. You somehow assume that these studios don't come out with good movies to watch or good shows. Not only that but you tend to assume that prices for goods should remain the same indefinitely because you think that they are trying to scam people out of money. People pay good money for services and goods because they feel as though they are getting value for it and if the customer is okay to pay a premium, who is to say it's bad?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

www.investopedia.com/terms/i/inflation.asp

Really? :) There is nothing simple about that economic model. Data has to be collected on the demographics of the specific area, attendance numbers need to be crunched and prices set accordingly. SIMPLE economics is to set a single ticket price statewide and charge all the same.

I hate advertising too. I don't want it in my movie experience. And believe me, the chain theaters are not facing any competition from independent theaters. Only the large handful of studios are competing for profits. The independent theaters are struggling and the big guys either buy them or buy the land and close them. Methinks you ended up on the wrong side of the fence on this topic?

Again, it has nothing to do with Greed. Different places have different price points. If you go to places like Russia or India, they tend to pay less for goods, not because companies can't scam them off for money, but because of things such as socioeconomics, the purchasing power and how much people are willing to pay for. These prices are strategically marked because people are willing to pay that much for it. In Australia, Apple products are overpriced with good reason. It is because people are willing to pay extra for it and because Australia has greater purchasing power per capita than some of the other countries. In the UK it's the same story. The UK has a lot of rich folks who earn a lot of money and it's in pounds too. There are some people out there that want to pay more to get more out of the experience. Why do people have gold class for cinemas vs regular?

They obviously want some food to be served to them. Stop thinking that it's only your way. The only reason why independent studios struggle is because it is down to advertising and lack of getting the message out there. Companies like apple are popular, not because they are 'good' but because they've spent millions on taping into our vulnerability and insecurities, and done heavy research of what makes us tick. Steve Jobs actually spent the time and money researching people unboxing shit and he found out that people loved that. He soon used that to sell his products.

People like to open up goodlooking boxes and that whole thing started a trend. Companies are popular and great now because they have the resources at their disposal and not to mention they spend a great deal of time carefully analysing of what would sell today. They do a lot of research and spend time doing analytics like that. Stop feeling sorry for the 'little' guy. The fact is, it's all about survival of the fittest. Shit costs money, get used to it. This is how society operates these days. You have to pay people, and nothing comes for free.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
:facepalm: Everything goes up in price. It's inflation. It is the fundamentals of the money market and has been around for centuries. It is not your corporation way of making more money off you even though it may seem that way. It is how economics works. Things have to be adjusted to inflation. You want an example? Gone with the Wind is currently the highest grossing film adjusted to inflation, not avatar.
Here are all the movies currently who grossed the most when adjusted to inflation. Inflation also means that people's purchasing power increases, therefore the prices need to adjust. You somehow assume that these studios don't come out with good movies to watch or good shows. Not only that but you tend to assume that prices for goods should remain the same indefinitely because you think that they are trying to scam people out of money. People pay good money for services and goods because they feel as though they are getting value for it and if the customer is okay to pay a premium, who is to say it's bad?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

www.investopedia.com/terms/i/inflation.asp

Again, it has nothing to do with Greed. Different places have different price points. If you go to places like Russia or India, they tend to pay less for goods, not because companies can't scam them off for money, but because of things such as socioeconomics, the purchasing power and how much people are willing to pay for. These prices are strategically marked because people are willing to pay that much for it. In Australia, Apple products are overpriced with good reason. It is because people are willing to pay extra for it and because Australia has greater purchasing power per capita than some of the other countries. In the UK it's the same story. The UK has a lot of rich folks who earn a lot of money and it's in pounds too. There are some people out there that want to pay more to get more out of the experience. Why do people have gold class for cinemas vs regular?

They obviously want some food to be served to them. Stop thinking that it's only your way. The only reason why independent studios struggle is because it is down to advertising and lack of getting the message out there. Companies like apple are popular, not because they are 'good' but because they've spent millions on taping into our vulnerability and insecurities, and done heavy research of what makes us tick. Steve Jobs actually spent the time and money researching people unboxing shit and he found out that people loved that. He soon used that to sell his products.

People like to open up goodlooking boxes and that whole thing started a trend. Companies are popular and great now because they have the resources at their disposal and not to mention they spend a great deal of time carefully analysing of what would sell today. They do a lot of research and spend time doing analytics like that. Stop feeling sorry for the 'little' guy. The fact is, it's all about survival of the fittest. Shit costs money, get used to it. This is how society operates these days. You have to pay people, and nothing comes for free.

I disagree with all of this (the idea of inflation as it relates to theaters and the entertainment industry). I find it disgusting because none of the inflation is necessary in the Industry. Everything is CHEAPER for them to operate and produce, but the prices went up.

Today, the younger generation are born victims. And they do not mind being victimized because they do not care to look deeper into the costs of what they are buying. I have an iPhone today because my job has provided me one. But I prefer my LG G2 which is coming up on 3 years old because everything about it is SUPERIOR to the latest greatest iPhone which is still playing catchup. Bigger screen, more powerful processor, higher resolution, better camera, all for 1/4 the price of a new iPhone. I drive an old Mercedes which is almost 30 years old, but it is better made with more expensive materials than the newest Mercedes vehicles which will end up in the junkyard before I start hearing any rattles in mine.

Just because you see something happening across the board does not mean that it is either natural or correct. The only way to know which is to investigate, and that is what I do. Thoroughly.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I disagree with all of this (the idea of inflation as it relates to theaters and the entertainment industry). I find it disgusting because none of the inflation is necessary in the Industry. Everything is CHEAPER for them to operate and produce, but the prices went up.

Today, the younger generation are born victims. And they do not mind being victimized because they do not care to look deeper into the costs of what they are buying. I have an iPhone today because my job has provided me one. But I prefer my LG G2 which is coming up on 3 years old because everything about it is SUPERIOR to the latest greatest iPhone which is still playing catchup. Bigger screen, more powerful processor, higher resolution, better camera, all for 1/4 the price of a new iPhone. I drive an old Mercedes which is almost 30 years old, but it is better made with more expensive materials than the newest Mercedes vehicles which will end up in the junkyard before I start hearing any rattles in mine.

Just because you see something happening across the board does not mean that it is either natural or correct. The only way to know which is to investigate, and that is what I do. Thoroughly.
In an ideal world, money wouldn't be an issue, but we don't live in ideal world because we have allowed it to happen. Money became the norm out of nothing. It was used to replace barter system. I hate paying more as much as you do but this is something that you can't change, otherwise the law will come back to bite you in the ass. I wish stuff was free, but most of the stuff isn't. Money is also used as tool to control society. Remember that.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
In an ideal world, money wouldn't be an issue, but we don't live in ideal world because we have allowed it to happen. Money became the norm out of nothing. It was used to replace barter system. I hate paying more as much as you do but this is something that you can't change, otherwise the law will come back to bite you in the ass. I wish stuff was free, but most of the stuff isn't. Money is also used as tool to control society. Remember that.

The bolded governs much of what I do. :) But aren't you defending the rising costs by saying that things just inflate and costs just go up...just because? Looks to me like you are. :) I am calling it out as being greed because that is what it is. And I beg to differ about things not being free. Kodi makes things free that would not be, if they had their way. I don't have a computer in my car which can be told remotely to turn on a service light so that I have to go in to get service I don't need. I cut the cable because I don't want or believe that I need to pay over $100.00 (or $200.00) to have access to hundreds of TV channels I will never watch. I hate paying, and so I DON'T. That is the difference.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
The bolded governs much of what I do. :) But aren't you defending the rising costs by saying that things just inflate and costs just go up...just because? Looks to me like you are. :) I am calling it out as being greed because that is what it is. And I beg to differ about things not being free. Kodi makes things free that would not be, if they had their way. I don't have a computer in my car which can be told remotely to turn on a service light so that I have to go in to get service I don't need. I cut the cable because I don't want or believe that I need to pay over $100.00 (or $200.00) to have access to hundreds of TV channels I will never watch. I hate paying, and so I DON'T. That is the difference.
I am not defending any principle, just stating the facts here. I don't have to like a particular fact in order to make it 'right'. Truth is though the human race is afraid of the truth. I was also explaining to you the principle behind why prices go up because of inflation and why it's now part of society. I don't set these rules.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am not defending any principle, just stating the facts here. I don't have to like a particular fact in order to make it 'right'. Truth is though the human race is afraid of the truth. I was also explaining to you the principle behind why prices go up because of inflation and why it's now part of society. I don't set these rules.

Oh, I know it isn't your fault! But I need to present the fact that inflation can be defeated by not paying the inflated costs. let the victims do that. You can see the result of long term rejection of rising costs is usually innovation and then competition until the inflated service(s) go under because nobody wants them anymore. This is happening with cable. It happened with charging minutes on phones. It is happening to Apple who refuses to truly update it's hardware and only presents it's new repackaged last year's model with a new number after iPhone. It is happening with luxury cars. Millenials are not buying large luxury cars like BMW's 7 series or S-Class Mercedes or large Cadillacs. In fact, many are not buying cars AT ALL. People are not buying homes much these days. Netflix succeeds because cable is failing.

The answer to inflation and rising costs is not sitting back and accommodating them. The answer is doing what you can to lower the costs and encourage competition.