Oh look, a new SyFy show that no one is going to watch

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
http://www.syfy.com/alphas

"Alphas" starts tonight on SyFy. I only know this because I saw someone laughing about it on another forum. That doesn't bode well for its future. And for what it's worth I have no intention of wasting time watching it. It looks like a lame X-men rip off and I don't have time for crap like that.

(And yes, I'm being a cynical bitch about it and I don't care! :P )

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
http://www.syfy.com/alphas

"Alphas" starts tonight on SyFy. I only know this because I saw someone laughing about it on another forum. That doesn't bode well for its future. And for what it's worth I have no intention of wasting time watching it. It looks like a lame X-men rip off and I don't have time for crap like that.

(And yes, I'm being a cynical bitch about it and I don't care! :P )

Syfy really likes knockoffs of successful originals, dont they? This is like an X-Men ripoff which will not work, and will be covered with cheese and peppered with angsty drama (there will more than likely be some useless (but hot) chick in it who will have to be saved from stuff on a regular basis. OMG...will it ever stop?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Syfy really likes knockoffs of successful originals, dont they? This is like an X-Men ripoff which will not work, and will be covered with cheese and peppered with angsty drama (there will more than likely be some useless (but hot) chick in it who will have to be saved from stuff on a regular basis. OMG...will it ever stop?

Yup, plus there will be a "bad chick" who is stunningly hot but is pure evil and works for the head bad guy. -- Yawn. And let's not forget all the average Joe's who will discover their new found super power talents all within the first episode. They'll be mystified and scared and will be ostracized by their families and communities and will join with other misunderstood freaks of nature in order to build their own community -- which will be hunted down by both the authorities and the bad guy. -- Yawn. I hesitate to even talk about the bad CGI that is sure to come. :roll:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
You know, you're exactly right here. It's most definitely an X-Men ripoff.

They're going from their ripoff Saturday movies to a ripoff television show format.

I don't plan to watch the damned thing.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
we are iffy on it here-- i really like David Strathairn, but I dunno if it will be worth watching...Falling Skies has used up all of my "hopeful mojo". :P

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Initial reaction....Oh my God does this stink!!!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I'll wait till I see it to cast any judgement, but I'll give it a honest run, no reason not too.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I blame BSG and Twilight, no offence to their respective fans, but those two spawned the whole teenage angst trying to be passed off as drama, in my opinion.

90's television was awesome and some early 2000's stuff.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Okay, I saw enough of it to know that they are doing a variant of the X-men thing as I suspected. There's the Professor Xavier type of leader and then the attending characters with special traits that make them outcasts that he has "collected". The hot chick with the hypnotic trait was playing Storm to the doctor's Prof Xavier. And the baseball/shooter guy with the good aim was playing Logan/Wolverine.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It's just someone's attempt to cash in on the popularity of someone else's concept. TV shows have ripped off popular stories for decades. This is no different. You'd think that "Heroes" would have sated everyone's taste for the X-men ripoff stuff but apparently not.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The thing is, reboots can be good. This thing wasn't even good in its own right.

Sorry, I was just highly disappointed at the low quality of the show, especially after SyFy hyped the thing to the heavens.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I think they spent a huge chunk of the budget for the premiere episode which means the quality will only drop as the season progresses.

G

Graybrew1

This show is worse than Falling Skies, it did not even capture my attention long enough to critique it. One more week and then it is off my DVR list. :icon_e_sad:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
This show is worse than Falling Skies, it did not even capture my attention long enough to critique it. One more week and then it is off my DVR list. :icon_e_sad:

Wow, you're tough! Must be the new blond hair. ;)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I wonder what the ratings will be if they aren't out yet already...

Eureka and WH13 could have given it an initial boost that might be rather high. The proof will be in the coming weeks now that people know what it's about and may tune out. I'm hesitant to predict a mass rush away from this show as Falling Skies is doing rather well and I have no idea why. It's not that good. As they say there's no accounting for taste so who knows what will happen with this one.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I wonder what the ratings will be if they aren't out yet already...

Seeing as though you asked so nicely :P

At 10PM Alphas found 2.5 million total viewers, 1.2 million Adults 18-49 and 1.3 million Adults 25-54 along with a 1.84 HH rating, the top-rated series premiere since Warehouse 13 debuted in July 2009, the same night Syfy launched its new brand evolution.

Thanks go to Media Savant via GW.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Do we know what Eureka and W13 pulled yet?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Seeing as though you asked so nicely :P

At 10PM Alphas found 2.5 million total viewers, 1.2 million Adults 18-49 and 1.3 million Adults 25-54 along with a 1.84 HH rating, the top-rated series premiere since Warehouse 13 debuted in July 2009, the same night Syfy launched its new brand evolution.

Thanks go to Media Savant via GW.

More info:

From 9-10PM, the season three premiere of Warehouse 13 snagged, bagged and tagged 2.3 million total viewers, 1.0 million Adults 18-49 and 1.2 million Adults 25-54 with a 1.74 HH rating.

Eureka’s season 4.5 return kicked off the night at 8PM by grabbing 2.0 million total viewers, 893,000 Adults 18-49 and 987,000 Adults 25-54, while averaging a 1.5 HH rating.