Obi-Wan Kenobi film

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/aug/17/star-wars-disney-obi-wan-kenobi-film

So apparently they're serious about making a stand-alone Obi-Wan Kenobi film. Why bother I say but it's a Disney property hence the corporate need to sodomize the box office -- again.

Just off the top of my head I can't imagine where in Ben's timeline they would set the story. I mean, either we get a really young Ben Kenobi before he becomes Qui-Gon's bitch or we get an old dried turd hiding out on a desert planet. And from what I understand he probably was a "youngling" student in a Jedi boarding school when he was really young, so I'm not seeing much in the way of a story there.

Then we got his time during the prequels. After which there is a 20-year gap following RotS up to A New Hope, the time of which we were lead to believe Ben spent on Tattooine watching over Luke. So how exciting would that period be? Especially when we know his ultimate fate and that he can't possibly die because he doesn't die until episode IV. It all sounds kinda dumb to me.

Sadly, it looks like Disney is going to piss on our faces and tell us it's raining as they have plenty more Star Wars characters they plan to exploit. (Boba Fett? Seriously? This douche is getting his own film? WTF???)

roflbot.jpg

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'd rather see something new, like the son of Jabba the Hutt rebuilding his criminal empire....tell us THAT story.

I'd rather see something new, like the son of Jabba the Hutt rebuilding his criminal empire....tell us THAT story.

I would even be amenable to them creating new main characters in this context. Show us some new heroes fighting Jabba Jr. or something like that. Every movie doesn't have to be a 'Save the galaxy!' epic. It could just be fun and adventurous. It does not have to have Darth Vader either, even if it's just a lame cameo. We don't need that. The SW universe is HUGE. They need to start exploring it in more depth.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Disney does this with their characters. They try to make them immortal so they don't have to change the costumes the actors will wear wandering randomly down Main Street at one of the Disney theme parks somewhere. They will probably have a kidded up version where there is a young Chewbacca and his Pals cartoon, and perhaps a teen thing for Jedi Academy High (live action). It could spawn the new Britney Spears or the new Justin Timberlake, right? :facepalm:

Star Wars Land at Disneyland (under construction now)

starwarsland.jpg

They're making Star Wars land at Disneyland? How did I miss this? I mean, sure, it's a given that Disney would do this once they bought the rights from King George but I guess I wasn't paying much attention when it was announced. No matter though as I despise theme parks so the odds of me ever being subjected to this horror are practically zero. Still, it's just so stupid. Like the Avatar/Pandora world they just opened up. No thanks.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They're making Star Wars land at Disneyland? How did I miss this? I mean, sure, it's a given that Disney would do this once they bought the rights from King George but I guess I wasn't paying much attention when it was announced. No matter though as I despise theme parks so the odds of me ever being subjected to this horror are practically zero. Still, it's just so stupid. Like the Avatar/Pandora world they just opened up. No thanks.

Oh yes. Star Wars Land.

http://www.themeparx.com/star-wars-land-disneyland/?page=16

star-wars-land-construction-progress-2017-044.jpg

And there will be Chewbacca, BB8, Jedi of all types, perhaps an animatronix Banta or Jabba too. And a signature ride, probably some type of rollercoaster.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
last season of REBELS showed Maul and Ezra going to Tattooine to find Obi. Of course,someone died, and it wasn't kenobi.
so, it would be, imo, best to have it set in between eps 3 and 4--or more like REBELS and EP 4.

this movie could have more of that. though Maul at this point was not working for the empire and was only going for personal revenge, they could have other Imperial servants going to to Tatt looking for him-Inquisitors or bounty hunters

and since, in canon, he is the only Jedi to "ascend" or whatever, body and soul upon death, we could also see how his seemingly long self imposed hermitage allowed him how to study and learn this ultimate Jedi mind trick.

could end with him sensing the destruction of Jedha City, something he would feel again just days later with the destruction of Alderan.

It could be good-and it being done, no doubt by someone affiliated or influenced or -eww gawds! "educated" by JJ Abrams, would likely have flashback scenes (with or without lens flare)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Is there an Obi Wan Kenobi film?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That was my reaction too. Why? Why not have a film with him simply being a thread within it?

I'm not disagreeing with your suggestion but to be honest I'm rather tired of the story line that we already know the outcome for. We know the moment that Kenobi croaks so any perilous situation he's put in within one of those sideline stories would be rather moot. We would know that he's not going to die in that moment. Granted, this isn't a guarantee that the film wouldn't be enjoyable. And I'm not totally hating on the character of Obi Wan Kenobi. But I just wish TPTB would focus on some newer, fresher characters and store lines.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That's sad as along with Kathleen Kennedy Johnson is one of the primary perps for the current SW problems.

That's sad as along with Kathleen Kennedy Johnson is one of the primary perps for the current SW problems.

I suspect they will both be removed from their positions before the next trilogy gets underway. Disney can't ignore the fiscal reality of what's happening. The SW brand affects more than just the film portion of the company. There's merchandising and the theme park expansion, etc. This is not small potatoes when it comes to their stock valuation. It's hard to believe the board of directors won't make changes and try to reverse course. If they don't they're fools.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
all of these stand alones, so far, are really just 'fill in the blank' episodes for hardcore SW's fans. They did ROGUE ONE well. if you had never seen or heard of SW's ever, you could watch and fully enjoy R1

they really f'd up with SOLO. very niche and in the weeds and done wrong so that even those SW's fans didn't dig it

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, now they're saying that the Obi-Wan and Boba Fett movies are on hold due to the poor showing of Solo and TLJ.

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/06/star-wars-spinoff-films-on-hold-solo-obi-wan-1201976851/

The article also mentions that Rian Johnson will be directing the next trilogy of SW movies following IX. :icon_e_surprised::icon_e_surprised::icon_e_surprised:

Yep, I think that was mentioned in TLJ thread too. After the failure of Solo, everything went yellow light. I also have read that the Rian Johnson trilogy is also on hold, even though it has been planned. Can you blame them? If they keep Kathleen Kennedy in there, she will torch the entire franchise and make it fatally ill. If they don't get rid of her, Star Wars will become something the fans no longer want to watch. Much like the original Trek fans have just quietly abandoned the NuTrek stuff and found their fix elsewhere. It isn't even a boycott. Its just that NuTrek is just not worth our time. Star Wars fans clearly do not like where she has taken it. They might just walk away and seek their fix elsewhere. Watch and see if some real SW fan doesn't come up with a different concept which is an homage to Star Wars without being Star Wars. Like what they did with The Orville. :)
Yep, so why can't they see that? There was a time when fans had some influence. Now all the influence appears to be internal which means there is a disconnect.
all of these stand alones, so far, are really just 'fill in the blank' episodes for hardcore SW's fans. They did ROGUE ONE well. if you had never seen or heard of SW's ever, you could watch and fully enjoy R1

they really f'd up with SOLO. very niche and in the weeds and done wrong so that even those SW's fans didn't dig it
Rogue One was most definitely done right. The story, the visuals, the characters, everything fell into place and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think that Rogue One is the only new "real" Star Wars movie which has come out since Return of the Jedi. Plus, it made over twice what Solo made, and is approaching the revenues of The Last Jedi.

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Anybody noticed how SW and SJW are only one character apart?