NuTrek is just dumb, and looks like it is going to stay that way. (OPINION)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have now watched each of the NuTrek films more than 5 times each (actually, a lot more :)). They suck. Yep. The first time I saw Star Trek 2009, I loved it because it was new and the cast was/is so perfect. But because of that, taking in all the new stuff and shielding my eyes from lens flares, I missed the paper thin plot and pathetic writing. But it couldnt be ignored in Star Trek Into Darkness. Watching them both back to back is a particularly disappointing experience.

What you see is an amalgam of nods and snippets from previous Trek moments, and the replacing of science with interpersonal relationships between protagonists and antagonists. And a whole lot of noise, lights and flashy CGI action scenes. It now belongs in the sci-fantasy genre with Star Wars. Im really disappointed, because the core of writers and Abrams are going to give us the third installment too. :( I guarantee it will do worse than STID, as STID earned less than ST2009. This is the effect of the initial draw from original Star Trek fans in 2009, then some dropping off for STID, and I think the third one is going to be an embarrassment. It should come out around when Star Wars comes back on the scene, and it will be king.

Honest Trailer Star Trek Into Darkness:

Honest Trailer Star Trek 2009:

And Spock Prime? You are a traitor. :icon_cry: Spock Prime reading the pathetic lines they gave him for this dreck, validating nonsense like transwarp beaming, and referring to Con...er...Kahn...as though he were the REAL Kahn. And in the movie of 2009, what was with the dumbass "space drilling" thing in Nero's "ship"? He destroyed an entire fleet of Federation starships in space, but needed to hang a dumb "drill" into the atmosphere of a planet?

I cant really organize my thoughts after watching them both back to back. Its really ruined. So many fundamental things have been thrown out the window, and that would be science and a purpose. Watching these films NEVER gives us a feeling of exploration, or a Five Year Mission. This NuTrek is not about that at all. We will probably have to wait until Star Trek 3 to see the new Blingons close up, along with their totally lame Birds of Prey which can be taken out in a single shot by energy weapons (shown in STID with Con...er...Kahn...shooting several of them out of the air.) :facepalm:

*deep breath*

I have to come back to this....must...wipe...memory....error....ster-il-ize. :facepalm:

jjlensflareface.jpg

Last edited:

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
My issue with the whole new Star Trek is that well, its a completely missed opportunity. The major issue is that well, we always wanted to see a young Captain Kirk, however we literally got a young Captain Kirk, seriously he goes from Cadet to Captain in the shortest space of time ever. Even the other crew members, they only get promoted just because. The missed target here is that, well I wanted to see Kirk in his Younger days, as an Ensign, or how he got to be the great Captain he was about to be.

I know some people don't like Q but in the video it brings up some good points about how Picard got to be the Captain he was. I really wanted to see that, a younger more energetic Kirk, the one who got noticed, led away teams on high priority/important missions or took command when the Captain or whatever was injured/killed. Then the series would end with him getting his Commission of Captain to the Enterprise.

Instead they played it safe as safe can be. These movies are just shlock, no coherent thought put into them, just one set piece moment after another hoping that we'd forget about it because they don't link up correctly. Like trying to build a jigsaw from several other boxes.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
If you do not understand the value of Q, you do not understand the soul of Trek.
You may as well watch transformers and call it high brow scifi.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If you do not understand the value of Q, you do not understand the soul of Trek.
You may as well watch transformers and call it high brow scifi.

Can you please explain why you feel that way? The soul of Trek has always been exploration first...then science, then interaction with "strange new worlds". Q as seen in Trelaine in TOS was what the Q should have been in TNG, DS9 and Voyager...IMO. The original Trelaine (not yet called a Q) was a member of a race of highly advanced non-corporeal beings...at least in the adult phase. Trelaine used physical technology underneath his chateau to do his Q tricks, not by snapping his fingers like Doctor Bombay. :)

I thought the stories involving Q in TNG (and in TNG only) explored some great philosophical questions. But I felt that a being like the Q, in addition to his behavior was out of place in Trek. I feel he was a magical being in a scientifically conceptualized universe. The Prophets in DS9 fall into this category as well.

Also, what are your thoughts about NuTrek?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I thought this video was funny. Made by the Phase II crew which is continuing the original TOS's 5 year mission at the Star Trek Phase II website, with Paramount's blessings. :)

Last edited: