Now You See Me - a pleasant surprise

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
A couple of weeks ago with some friends over we looked for a film to watch and saw this on Amazon. As we all like heist films we thought we would give it a shot.

Now You See Me was a theatrical release earlier this year starring Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Mark Ruffalo and others. It did VERY well at the box office and a sequel is in the works. Basically it is the story of a group of four street magicians who are recruited by a mysterious character to form a magic performing team called The Four Horsemen. However, starting with their first big show it becomes apparent that The Four Horsemen are not your typical stage act, as they literally rob a bank in another country before the eyes of the audience and give the proceeds to that audience Robin Hood style. The rest of the movie involves the hunt for the Horsemen by the FBI and Interpol and the slow unraveling of who they are and what the group is really up to.

We went in with no expectations either way as heist films can be a mixed bag. This one was better than we expected and a pleasant surprise.

First, the acting was pretty good across the board. No one did a bad job and Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman were effective in their roles as were all of the Horsemen.

Second, the plot was pretty well done. It flowed properly and when things were revealed they made sense in light of other elements of the story. The heists were clever overall and even better were all explained. They even did a good job of explaining the reason behind the formation of the Horsemen and why these street magicians joined up.

If the movie had flaws one might be that I did figure out a major reveal before it happened. On the other hand I did so based on plot elements so it also meant the reveal wasn't from outer space. Another is that the movie could have been just a little faster paced. But aside from that it was a nice, fairly smart caper film which I liked.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
We really enjoyed this one a lot.

Last I heard, they're looking at making a sequel.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ill give it a look. Is it on Netflix?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Not yet. Amazon right now. It's too new for Netflix.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Not yet. Amazon right now. It's too new for Netflix.

I have Amazon Prime. Is this movie free? I dont pay for any of the movies on Amazon.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I don't think it is free at this time. I had a free film coming as a promo and used it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I don't think it is free at this time. I had a free film coming as a promo and used it.

Okay. I have other means to see it. Ill come back to this thread when done!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
JL, I liked your review. It was clear and concise, which is the only way to go if you want to pique my interest. That said, I find Jesse Eisenberg to be enormously overrated. He plays the same character in every movie he's in, and that character's name is "Jesse Eisenberg". You'd need to put his career under an electron microscope in order to find his acting range. He's a tedious, annoying little shit who never rises above the sarcastic, snarky one-liners he's given to spout. In short, he peaked in Zombieland, which is awfully sad if you think about it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
JL, I liked your review. It was clear and concise, which is the only way to go if you want to pique my interest. That said, I find Jesse Eisenberg to be enormously overrated. He plays the same character in every movie he's in, and that character's name is "Jesse Eisenberg". You'd need to put his career under an electron microscope in order to find his acting range. He's a tedious, annoying little shit who never rises above the sarcastic, snarky one-liners he's given to spout. In short, he peaked in Zombieland, which is awfully sad if you think about it.

He totally missed on his portrayal of Mark Zuckerberg in that Facebook dreck thing he did. Zuckerberg in real life is a worm of a man from what I hear. A rich, immature worm. Here he is on video talking about Facebook security issues.

What else has this dude Jesse Eisenberg done? Not that I care...

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
He totally missed on his portrayal of Mark Zuckerberg in that Facebook dreck thing he did. Zuckerberg in real life is a worm of a man from what I hear. A rich, immature worm. Here he is on video talking about Facebook security issues.

What else has this dude Jesse Eisenberg done? Not that I care...

He sounds like a valley girl. His sentences always end in an upward tone like he's asking a question.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
He sounds like a valley girl. His sentences always end in an upward tone like he's asking a question.

I just know he is the type who cannot look you in the eye when you speak to him. He seems ill-suited to his multi-billionaire station in life.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I just know he is the type who cannot look you in the eye when you speak to him. He seems ill-suited to his multi-billionaire station in life.

Sometimes, sheer dumb luck and being at the right place at the right time is all it takes.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Sometimes, sheer dumb luck and being at the right place at the right time is all it takes.

Its like, um...I like to say um a lot, um, and um...and like, um

:happy0007:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That's okay.

Jesse Eisenberg here is not the lead - he is part of an ensemble. And he operates best in that setting because he doesn't have to try to carry the load himself. In fact, there really is no one lead in Now You See Me.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
By the way. if you like caper films here is a lower budget Canadian heist flick that works pretty well:

http://www.amazon.com/Foolproof/dp/B0036FBDF2

The cast is mostly B list but give good performances (although David Suchet is more like an A- lister). The plot is reasonably clever, especially if you like heist films that revolve around the idea of "a plan within a plan within a plan". It is a very different type of film than Now You See Me.

On the bad side, the small budget does show itself in some places, giving the film a bit of that "Made for TV" feel and the BIG reveal can be anticipated if you pay close attention to the story.