Not So Recommended Thread

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG, after watching the movie I just watched, I felt compelled to create this thread to warn those who might pop some corn and flip through Netflix or wander around in a video rental store and be sucked into deep regret after picking a real stinker of a movie. For me, that bad choice came with The Philadelphia Experiment II: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107819/

Just...:facepalm: This movie was one of the most tedious, deus ex machina science fiction stories I have ever seen. The premise has been done to death in The Planet of the Apes, AU mirror universes where the US has taken a different historical path because of a nexus event in the timeline. In this case, it takes the premise of the original Philadelphia Experiment movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087910/ which was actually a pretty good science fiction drama made in 1984, and horribly mangles it. In the original movie, David Herdig from the USS Eldridge (the battleship involved in the experiment) is thrown forward in time from 1943 to 1984 due to a tear in space-time created in 1984 when scientists have done a similar experiment to the Philadelphia experiment in 1943 which ties the two timelines together. This movie uses that premise to create a scenario where a stealth fighter armed with a nuke lands in Nazi Germany of 1943. The Germans use the plane and its nuke to bomb Washington and the US loses the war. The protagonist, David Herdig from the first movie now has a son who is the focus of his need to make things right in the timeline, and he goes back to 1943 to stop the stealth fighter from bombing Washington.

But this stupid movie feels like it runs 5 hours, its slow and tedious and lots of drawn out useless scenes take place. The actors in this movie are oddly cast, but the set design and photography were good for their time. Its the STORY which sucked. I watched it all the way through, but I would suggest having your remote in hand with your finger over the FF button if you dare watch it. I give it :beckettd::beckettd::jonasanime02:

Capture.JPG

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I think the first episode of SGpoo should be moved to this thread also . No . Skip that . They should all be moved to this thread!!! :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
SGU has a SPECIAL place in all of science fiction fandom...

I think the first episode of SGpoo should be moved to this thread also . No . Skip that . They should all be moved to this thread!!! :)

LOL! They had a whole site dedicated to it, remember? :P This movie only deserves a thread, nothing more...did you see it?

Other movies I think belong in this thread:

Transformers 2
Tron: Legacy
Planet of the Apes (Tim Burton version 2002)
Skyline
2012: Doomsday (not 2012)
Armageddon

There's more garbage than gems, to be sure. This stinker is still fresh in my mind because it seems to slow time itself down to a crawl. I swear I was in a special region of that TV screen where 2 hours stretched into 5 hours for me. OMG. :facepalm:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Actually, the very first episode of SGU was one of the better ones of the lot. But I still did not like it, especially considering Air Pt II and II were part of it.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Actually, the very first episode of SGU was one of the better ones of the lot. But I still did not like it, especially considering Air Pt II and II were part of it.

Air III was the one that made me say "err, what"?
I and II were really not that bad IMHO.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan

Problem was that the pilot just went on too long. I didn't think part 3 was bad, just that it was a week on and we were 'still' on the pilot. Then it was followed by another 2 parter that wasn't bad, just long.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
LOL! They had a whole site dedicated to it, remember? :P This movie only deserves a thread, nothing more...did you see it?

Transformers 2
Skyline
Armageddon

There's more garbage than gems, to be sure. This stinker is still fresh in my mind because it seems to slow time itself down to a crawl. I swear I was in a special region of that TV screen where 2 hours stretched into 5 hours for me. OMG. :facepalm:

puts grumpy mask on*

i do not agree with above bolded as even tho the writing and storys in these may be on the weaker side of things i beleive they should be enjoyed for what they are.

transformers is not a movie imo its more of a visually pleasing theme park thrill ride and it does that pretty well.
tron legacy was slow paced and weird but it along with avater were visually stunning and very pleasing to the eye and should be viewed on that alone, avatar especially for upping the industri standards 100 fold when it comes to CGI magic, and it will be noted as the film that set a new standard for the future.

OMNI

Mod gloves on.

Problem was that the pilot just went on too long. I didn't think part 3 was bad, just that it was a week on and we were 'still' on the pilot. Then it was followed by another 2 parter that wasn't bad, just long.

there are plenty of threads avaliable for you to discuss sgu elswhere on the board.
please reffer to those for further discussion on the subject.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I respectfully agree with OMNI.

Transformers 2
Skyline
Armageddon

i respectfully disagree.
I respectfully disagree with all 3 of you :P

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Well, Frack me, all the mods are here, lets have a party!! :D

Shutting up now.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, Ill be specific!

Why the movies on that short list? Okay, here is my take...just my opinions, mind you :)

Transformers 2 - Great visual effects, vapid teen college humor, racist stereotypes and innuendos, anthropomorphizing robots but using teens as the model , cheezy product placement. But the pièce de résistance....a humping robot. I absolutely HATED the movie, and I had a young child with me.

Tron: Legacy - An inferior sequel/reboot which was an insult to the original, which in itself was not exactly a great movie. Real clothes on The Grid? An "off road" vehicle in a digital landscape? Isos? This movie sucked to me.

Planet of the Apes (Tim Burton version 2002) - I have all of the Planet of the Apes movies, saw all of them in the theatres on opening day. Met Kim Hunter and Roddy McDowell IN PERSON at the premiere in Beverly Hills for Escape of the Planet of the Apes. I looked forward to a good remake, but the Tim Burton movie was devoid of thought, and relied on effects and an unlikely storyline. The continuity and message of the original were totally lost in Tim Burton's version. It didnt even tell the same story and had a completely different premise. Hated it.

Avatar (yes, Avatar) - Call it Dances with Smurfs/Pocahontas/Man Called Horse/Tarzan/Jungle Book/et al...the effects were superb...cutting edge. But the story was old and dusty and took more away from the movie than the effects could make up for...IMO. I will not be seeing the next one in theaters.

Skyline - OMG. The WORST "science fiction" movie I have ever seen in 50 years of life. I found more enjoyment in old Buck Rogers flicks with rockets hanging from visible threads and smoke cartridge engines than I did in Skyline. Empty headed garbage which could have easily been a dream sequence for a sleeping character in Melrose Place or 90210.

2012: Doomsday (not 2012) - Horrible. It was released just before the almost as cheesy (but infinitely more watchable) 2012 movie. It sucked, the story sucked and the effects were over the top overdone.

Armageddon - Top Gun in space. I didnt like it, even Bruce Willis could not make me suspend belief enough to accept armed "battle shuttles" out to shoot down an asteroid.

I need more than just great effects to enjoy a movie. When I pay money or spend a couple of hours watching a movie, it better be telling me a story because I cant be satisfied only by visuals. Its hard for me to watch a movie without a good story.

Just my opinions....you may throw tomatoes now. :tomato:

OMNI

Well, Frack me, all the mods are here, lets have a party!! :D

Shutting up now.

Hey man ill have you know im omnipotent so im allways around ;)

see i even made the name red so it must be true!!! Fear my power!!!

OMNI

Tomatoooooooesss!!!!!

Why the movies on that short list? Okay, here is my take...just my opinions, mind you :)

Transformers 2 - Great visual effects, vapid teen college humor, racist stereotypes and innuendos, anthropomorphizing robots but using teens as the model , cheezy product placement. But the pièce de résistance....a humping robot. I absolutely HATED the movie, and I had a young child with me.

Tron: Legacy - An inferior sequel/reboot which was an insult to the original, which in itself was not exactly a great movie. Real clothes on The Grid? An "off road" vehicle in a digital landscape? Isos? This movie sucked to me.

Planet of the Apes (Tim Burton version 2002) - I have all of the Planet of the Apes movies, saw all of them in the theatres on opening day. Met Kim Hunter and Roddy McDowell IN PERSON at the premiere in Beverly Hills for Escape of the Planet of the Apes. I looked forward to a good remake, but the Tim Burton movie was devoid of thought, and relied on effects and an unlikely storyline. The continuity and message of the original were totally lost in Tim Burton's version. It didnt even tell the same story and had a completely different premise. Hated it.

Avatar (yes, Avatar) - Call it Dances with Smurfs/Pocahontas/Man Called Horse/Tarzan/Jungle Book/et al...the effects were superb...cutting edge. But the story was old and dusty and took more away from the movie than the effects could make up for...IMO. I will not be seeing the next one in theaters.

Skyline - OMG. The WORST "science fiction" movie I have ever seen in 50 years of life. I found more enjoyment in old Buck Rogers flicks with rockets hanging from visible threads and smoke cartridge engines than I did in Skyline. Empty headed garbage which could have easily been a dream sequence for a sleeping character in Melrose Place or 90210.

2012: Doomsday (not 2012) - Horrible. It was released just before the almost as cheesy (but infinitely more watchable) 2012 movie. It sucked, the story sucked and the effects were over the top overdone.

Armageddon - Top Gun in space. I didnt like it, even Bruce Willis could not make me suspend belief enough to accept armed "battle shuttles" out to shoot down an asteroid.

Just my opinions....you may throw tomatoes now. :tomato:

La-Tomatina-Festival-17-600x400.jpg

sry couldnt help it. :P
tbh i agree but i like em for the visuals ;)

G

Graybrew1

IMHO, I like movies if they are enjoyable. I found armegeddon to be good campy fun.i laughed my butt off at the Buscemi on the rocket. Some others I liked trans 2 and avatar for the fun special effects. War of the worlds remake sucked big time for me.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
IMHO, I like movies if they are enjoyable. I found armegeddon to be good campy fun.i laughed my butt off at the Buscemi on the rocket. Some others I liked trans 2 and avatar for the fun special effects. War of the worlds remake sucked big time for me.

Armegeddon is a family favorite here for the hilarious fun...over the top and totally unbeleivable but FUNNY AS HELL, IMHO.

To the don't bother with list I would add 2001: a space odyssey...horribly boring movie- more of an "art flick" of the time than decent movie. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and 2010 the odyssey continues. the movie is looong boring scenes with music montages (sound familiar? ;) ) and yes, the special effects were incredible, but the acting was HORRIBLE :P and the storyline confusing. the book was much better. I personally would love them to make 3001: the final odyssey the fourth and final book in the series. They find a frozen Frank Poole in space and reanimate him...great story. :D

THX1138

GateFans Member

I'm the same, I actually like Armegeddon too. Just turn your brain off at the start and enjoy the fun and the visuals.

G

Graybrew1

Cloverfield was pretty bad too. I hate movies with no purpose.