Noooo...Torchwood Season 5 uncertain....

heisenberg

Earl Grey
It's no secret that Starz loves their Spartacus franchise, but what about Torchwood? At the TCA Press tour, reps from the network revealed that they're happy with the sci-fi show's success—but not happy enough to renew it for another season.
We thought EVERYONE loved Torchwood: Miracle Day! But even though its premiere posted solid ratings for Starz, the show's future still isn't secure. Apparently this season's 10-episode order was "a large and unusual commitment" for BBC and another renewal depends on whether or not Russell T Davies can come up with an idea that's beneficial for both companies.
"Torchwood is not one of the shows we went into thinking about a yearly return," Starz CEO Chris Albrecht said to critics. "It's about Russell T Davies ... he has a lot of things on his plate. If Torchwood is at the top of his list, that will effect the future of Torchwood.

http://blastr.com/2011/07/enjoy-torchwood-while-you.php

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I would think if the ratings are good enough it will come back for another season. I'm sure RTD will find time in his schedule to flesh out another season if given the chance.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's a kind way of saying the ratings have not been special - which they haven't.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
It's a kind way of saying the ratings have not been special - which they haven't.

Indeed, it's much nicer than saying "hey the rating suck, the shows gonna get the arse"
Farscape suffered the same problem, 2 networks to try to deal with (Syfy and Channel 9 here), and while "in theory" it's better because you can share the cost, it can be twice the killer as well. IIRC "Rome" suffered from the same issue didn't it?

Tropicana

Council Member
I take this as good news cos I prefer when Torchwood was under the helm of BBC. This season has lost a lot of its Britishness and became way too American in terms of drama style.

Also Starz CEO should know RTD love his creation of TW, he went to the U.S, in hopes of securing additional funding for this show but like I said, really hope it returns back to BBC Wales control.

In regards to the American ratings, at least they're higher than SGU's, lol. Here in the UK, they are around 4 million.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I take this as good news cos I prefer when Torchwood was under the helm of BBC. This season has lost a lot of its Britishness and became way too American in terms of drama style.

Also Starz CEO should know RTD love his creation of TW, he went to the U.S, in hopes of securing additional funding for this show but like I said, really hope it returns back to BBC Wales control.

In regards to the American ratings, at least they're higher than SGU's, lol. Here in the UK, they are around 4 million.

I don't mind them filming in America but the tone and style has changed quite a bit, that's for sure. What happened to the rubber-faced aliens they used to deal with and stuff like that? So far it's just human conspiracy junk, which to me, isn't Torchwood.