News that they're officially desperate

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
From the colonies:

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/77497-Full-cast-of-SGU-on-CTV-November-12!?p=12026500

A Channel = CTV = Space = all the same. They are the Canadian shills for the series.

Don't look for me to be there. I have absolutely no interest in this crap and besides needing one of those Tee-shirts I'd have to stand up in the audience and shout as loud as I could -

SGU SUCKS!

Which of course would get me arrested. Maybe Aragon could go in my place. :D

Ratings must be really bad in Canada as well. Note to foreigners - Canada AM is the morning fluff news show. CTV does not air the show. So I guess this is just corporate cross promotion.

Nani

GateFans Noob
yeah, let me get right on it!

I thought that maybe this is a tie-in to the Gemini Awards, which will air on Global on Nov 13, 2010. So no idea what SGU cast is doing on CTV morning show a week before... :confused: Looks like a desperate plea for attention. I had a friend (one of very few watching SGEww) send me this via Twitter about a week ago:

RT #DavidBlue Make sure 2 catch us ALL on @CTVCanadaAM next Fri. We'll B talking all about #SGU & our 9 GEMINI NOMIN! Ready 4 us, Toronto?!
Why couldn't they have done promotion like that with SGA cast??? :evil: Yeah, let me get on the ticket list right away... :rolleyes:

Nani

GateFans Noob
Whatever. :rolleyes:

Canada is unimportant for SGU's future. I know TPTB and SGU actors behave all the time like Canada is a second USA, but that is just not the case. The USA have a population of 310 million and Canada of only 34 million. There are a lot of countries in the world with a bigger population than Canada and they also don't matter. For Syfy only the US American ratings count.​

soTrue.gif That makes their appearance on a Canadian AM show even more baffling...

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
I thought that maybe this is a tie-in to the Gemini Awards, which will air on Global on Nov 13, 2010. So no idea what SGU cast is doing on CTV morning show a week before... :confused: Looks like a desperate plea for attention. I had a friend (one of very few watching SGEww) send me this via Twitter about a week ago:

Why couldn't they have done promotion like that with SGA cast??? :evil: Yeah, let me get on the ticket list right away... :rolleyes:

But wheres the peoples choice nomination or all those emmys they were expecting??????

come now, they voted for themselves. what pants, big saggy dirty pants.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Not really

Ah but PSW you miss the point.

Canada contributes government funding to keep Bridge's lights on and the show running. That often involves overlapping funding programs from 3 levels of government. The United States government contributes zero to this show.

The Canadian production industry is one big massive welfare handout. As the show is carried by SPACE channel, money goes directly from my cable bill (the Cable TV development fund) into the clowns pockets at SGoo. That's in addition to the direct government money they receive.

Have a look at Lexx filmed in Nova Scotia and you'll see the same thing happening. Even in Stargate my taxes were being being spent to water the trees on the forest planet.

As for actually finding a smoking gun tracking the grants .... well you'd have better luck finding where Bernie Maddoff hid the money. They don't advertise accepting welfare. You may be able to follow the leads offered in their obligatory logos at the end of the credits though. The public outside the industry are not to know about these grants so it takes an expert or someone in the business to expose them.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/CanadaAM/20101101/sgu-audience-101101/

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/story/2010/09/21/sci-fi-series-made-in-canada.html

What really worries me is if they have flown the entire cast in, not just the kids, they must either be looking for a party and shopping out resumes at the Gemini's or they have inside info that they'll be handed an award. Weren't they nominated for best caterer?

In any case it's likely Space is picking up the bill to bring them here for the Gemini's and promotion.

BTW Wright does state "it is American funded". That would be mainly funded by SyFy. They never mention the welfare cheques.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
So, if I get this right, unlike previous shows, the US Military isn't giving money to help pay for the show?

Interesting...

SerenityS

GateFans Member
So, if I get this right, unlike previous shows, the US Military isn't giving money to help pay for the show?

Interesting...
I never heard that the US Military actually gave money to Bridge, although they certainly did provide military advisory assistance and location shots for SG1. I know Joe Malfloozy had pictures of a supposed military adviser for SGU early on in his blog, but we have never heard from her again - perhaps she left in disgust?

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Of course the risk and majority of costs are borne by SyFy.

As for the US military their involvement with the real Stargate shows and movies are well documented. Recently watched a Stargate where the Texas ANG had 2 T-38s flown up to Vancouver airport for background shots. They're called transients in the business.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
The US military really helped Stargate in the past. There were even two high military officers on SG1 as guest stars! I bet no one want to be associated with SGU through. :P

That's the point. They cut out US military influence so they could write the characters as junkies with no repercussions. They were on good terms right up to the movies (F-15s).

But like I say, this isn't Stargate anymore.

Fizz

GateFans Noob
The US military really helped Stargate in the past. There were even two high military officers on SG1 as guest stars! I bet no one want to be associated with SGU through. :P

There's a story I remember where, on his first day in office, the new Chief of Staff of the Air Force, Gen. John P Jumper, asked when he got to do his Stargate cameo, because his predecessor had already had a blast playing himself. He was then promptly invited to do a couple of scenes as himself in Lost City.

I mean I guess they were partly just happy any show was using AF as the heroes, since most military shows seem to use the Army or Navy. But I do think they appriciated the fact that SG-1 tried to get some of it as realistic as was possible within being a TV show created for entertainment.

With SGU I think they'd be quite happy with the fact that they barely mention who's in which service and don't wear anything like the real BDUs.

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
i'd so do it too.

I'm the only person i know who has...

A: Fought a Mascot on the field during a game. He fought back :P

B: Gotten into a fight at a charity construction project (which was on the news BTW)

C: Booed Mike Harris at Skydome (Admittedly i wasn't the only one :P)

D: Dove INTO a mosh pit filled with Aryans and skinheads in order to escape the wrath of a bouncer after having 'accidentally' yanked on the mic cord of the less than popular singer :P

What i'd do is use a giant sign. Print out hte SGU*S logo on it and just hold it up for the Camera. The point would be to get picked up by hte camera long enough that it can't be edited out, and since SGU*S isn't a hugely known logo, they'll think i'm just an SGU fanboy.

That is until BW sees it and goes "REMOVE HIM FROM MY PRESENCE!" at which point i'll say "You can't ignore facts! SGU sucks! You nuked the fridge man!"

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
That's the point. They cut out US military influence so they could write the characters as junkies with no repercussions. They were on good terms right up to the movies (F-15s).

But like I say, this isn't Stargate anymore.
Don't forget the sub...that was a real sub in the artic. :D

There's a story I remember where, on his first day in office, the new Chief of Staff of the Air Force, Gen. John P Jumper, asked when he got to do his Stargate cameo, because his predecessor had already had a blast playing himself. He was then promptly invited to do a couple of scenes as himself in Lost City.

I mean I guess they were partly just happy any show was using AF as the heroes, since most military shows seem to use the Army or Navy. But I do think they appriciated the fact that SG-1 tried to get some of it as realistic as was possible within being a TV show created for entertainment.

With SGU I think they'd be quite happy with the fact that they barely mention who's in which service and don't wear anything like the real BDUs.

yep the us military is always happy with postive press...they even made RDA an honorary general:
At the Air Force Association's 57th Annual Air Force Anniversary Dinner in Washington, D.C., on September 14, 2004, then-Air Force Chief-of-Staff, General John P. Jumper,[13] presented Anderson with an award because of his role as star and executive producer of Stargate SG-1, a series which portrayed the Air Force in a positive light from its premiere.[14] Anderson was also made an honorary Air Force brigadier general

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Don't forget the sub...that was a real sub in the artic. :D

Yup, and the real crew too. There's an extended piece about it on the DVD extras. Most of what I know about the military links are from the featurettes. The RDA profile has a lot about his military connections.

The USAF was happy as, I think the expression is, "Piginpoo" :D that they were involved. Don't think the SGU Psyco Marine wins them points with the Marines though. Ask OM1.