New species of lizard created in lab that reproduces by cloning itself

heisenberg

Earl Grey
rwr.jpg

A genetics research group working in a lab in Kansas, has succeeded in creating a new species of lizard by mating two distinct species of North American Whiptails, both native to New Mexico. The offspring, all females are not only fertile, but can reproduce by laying eggs that don't need to be fertilized, which means, they actually clone themselves. Scientists have known for years that some species exist due to interspecies mating, the whiptail lizards have provided proof of that; they’ve been creating new species themselves for at least several hundred thousand years. What’s new is the process being manipulated by another species, us, Homo sapiens. Geneticists have been trying for years to create a new breed of pretty much anything by urging lab “volunteers” of differing species to mate with one another, not exactly earth shaking science when you consider a dog that tries to mate with a human leg. Efforts such as these are, not surprisingly, more often successful than not; the problem is, the offspring are usually infertile, such as mules, or too weak to survive. The trick has been to create a new species that is able to both survive and reproduce, because otherwise, it can’t really be called a new species if it only exists for the duration of one generation.
Mind= blown!
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-05-species-lizard-lab-cloning.html

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Finally!!

A creature you can tell to go procreate itself and it not be an insult!!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

:( I dont like this....

I fully accept the species who can already do this. But to borrow the genes which do this in order to give the ability to another species, or to play around with interspecies breeding (forced, not natural selection) is playing with the delicate balance of nature. Imagine rats that reproduce by "immaculate conception" or rabbits even. How about pigeons which can lay fertile eggs without mating? DANGEROUS. The lizard has developed this ability for a specific reason.

Tropicana

Council Member
Well, if this lizard gets introduced to existing ecosystems, you can bet it will devastate it and will spread across the world, very very quickly.

S

Stonelesscutter

Well, if this lizard gets introduced to existing ecosystems, you can bet it will devastate it and will spread across the world, very very quickly.

I highly doubt that. The devastation I mean.
Most likely outcome I think would be the decline and/or complete loss of some other lizard species and a rise in this new species but nature will probably stabilise itself quickly.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan

Hmm, wonder how this affects their posterity in regards to genetic diversity. Isn't genetic diversity good?

Finally!!

A creature you can tell to go procreate itself and it not be an insult!!
LOL

:( I dont like this....

I fully accept the species who can already do this. But to borrow the genes which do this in order to give the ability to another species, or to play around with interspecies breeding (forced, not natural selection) is playing with the delicate balance of nature. Imagine rats that reproduce by "immaculate conception" or rabbits even. How about pigeons which can lay fertile eggs without mating? DANGEROUS. The lizard has developed this ability for a specific reason.

Maybe it's a part of nature for certain things in nature to manipulate the balance of nature, lol if that made sense.