Nathan Fillion and Firefly's writers are ready continue the show

heisenberg

Earl Grey
When Nathan Fillion announced yesterday he'd love to step into the tight pants of Capt. "Mal" Reynolds again, we of course liked the idea, but also thought ... well, what's the chance of that? But today, now that a couple of Firefly writers chimed in to say they'd also climb on board a new Firefly in a heartbeat, we're instead asking—could there really be a chance of that?
This all started when James Hibberd of Inside TV asked Fillion whether, if Fox admitted it screwed up by canceling the series and invited him and Joss Whedon to give it another try, he would. Fillion responded by saying yes, but that he was wary:
Yes. Yes. I would examine very closely Fox's reasoning—I'm a little gun-shy. If I got $300 million from the California Lottery, the first thing I would do is buy the rights to Firefly, make it on my own, and distribute it on the Internet.​

http://blastr.com/2011/02/nathan-fillion-and-firefl.php

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
WOW! If they brought back Firefly, that would be a hands down moneymaker off the bat.

I think more people have watched it in rental and on Hulu than watched it when it was on live, Unlike SGU, Firefly was a truly fresh take on science fiction both in writing, execution, feel and even music. It was a tour de force. I am very very happy to read this!

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I think more people have watched it in rental and on Hulu than watched it when it was on live, Unlike SGU, Firefly was a truly fresh take on science fiction both in writing, execution, feel and even music. It was a tour de force. I am very very happy to read this!

Same...if they bring back firefly, I think it will sell very well,and I would be more than happy to watch online(even with the ads),as long as it's not region locked(like hulu is)...

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I wasn't a huge Firefly fan when it first aired but have grown to really appreciate it since then. I think the chances of FOX picking it up as a series again is, financially, a bit of a stretch. What they should do is make a few mini-series or movies as there are still stories they can tell. I think the ratings for those type of productions would justify the building of sets, etc. and would give a return on investment. DVD sales also. ;)

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I would so like to see this happen, but I highly doubt that Fox is going to put it back on. Maybe the could do webisodes or something. I also heard that the Science Channel was going to re-air the show, as well as air specials on the science and physics of the show, so maybe they could pick it up.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
more captain tight pants!

I too am a latecomer to Firefly, I finally bought it about 2 years ago and snookie bought her own copy last summer. I would love to see the series continue in one for or another. Anything so I can have more of those great stories.

Inara

GateFans Noob
Fillion and many other cast members have said they'd like to do the show again. It's a matter of getting the finances (hence the comment about winning the lottery), as well as getting the cast and crew back together since most have moved on to other projects.

The Science Channel is going to re-air the series, but I'm pretty sure it will be the edited down version that allows for more commercials. But they are going to add some commentary bits by Dr. Michio Kaku on the science facts and science fiction in Firefly. He does the show "Sci Fi Science" which is along the same lines, showing a science fiction concept, then using existing science theories to figure out how it could be done.

Also... you must check out this Hijinks Ensue comic. Be sure to read the alt text.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Well, right now, he's hip deep in Castle (which I love), so his time isn't really his own, but I'm glad that the Science Channel snagged the rights to air it.

I'm curious to see what the ratings for their airings of the show will look like.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Those Destiny corridors are an almost dead ringer for the corridors of Serenity!

I would so like to see this happen, but I highly doubt that Fox is going to put it back on. Maybe the could do webisodes or something. I also heard that the Science Channel was going to re-air the show, as well as air specials on the science and physics of the show, so maybe they could pick it up.

Well, those corridors in SGU's Destiny are almost a direct copy of those in Serenity. Perhaps SGU's closed production could recoup some losses if they allow a new Firefly to use them!

PegDIG2004

GateFans Noob
I will watch Firefly in any form in which it might return. As long as it picks up before they kill off Wash. I don't want to watch Firefly without Wash!