My Time as a Nielson Family

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Last night ended the week of keeping tv "diaries" my family did for the Nielson ratings company. It was very enlightening for me...I don't watch as much tv as I thought I did... I start shows, get bored, and then turn them off. I watch A LOT of news, A WHOLE LOT, and documentaries...tons of those too. And cooking shows (that's where those extra ten pounds came from last year :shock: ) My only "regret"...I ACTUALLY watched the SYFY channel... several Star Trek TNG eps and some SGA reruns.... i scrupulously avoided all their SGU reruns...making sure the tv was turned to another channel! :P In the comments section provided I explained that 90% of commercial tv is dreck and drivel and used the cancelling of the wonderful SGA for that horrible SGU to made as an example of how tv's standards have fallen! Even when it's not on I had to kick SGU in arse! :lol:

Let the paranoia of the fanboiz/gurlz run rampant at how I, Rac 80, have SABOTAGED SGU!!! *cue evil laugh* :twisted: :twisted:

A

AdamTM

Nice.
You made an impact as an individual, and thats what counts.

I really wished that TV would go to proper rating instead of the selective Nielsen rating. Dont get me wrong, nielsen was pretty accurate 5-10 years ago, but now with broadband, on-demand video, its just a completely outdated system.

I want to vote with my wallet too, i want to vote that i dont watch crappy shit, i DONT want OTHERS to vote for ME.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
AdamTM said:
Nice.
You made an impact as an individual, and thats what counts.

I really wished that TV would go to proper rating instead of the selective Nielsen rating. Dont get me wrong, nielsen was pretty accurate 5-10 years ago, but now with broadband, on-demand video, its just a completely outdated system.
I want to vote with my wallet too, i want to vote that i dont watch crappy shit, i DONT want OTHERS to vote for ME.

It wasn't even accurate then, I remember complaining about the inaccuracies in the 80's...it took them 5 or so years to add families that had cable access in the early 80's. ;)
Yeah I am glad we got to be represented (it was the second time in over 20 years we were asked to do this) and I agree...with all of the modern gadgetry you'd think they could set up cable companies, etc to automatically count watchers...but I guess whereas big brother wants to know what sites your webb-surfing, they don't care about your tv shows??? :shock:

Deity59

GateFans Noob
Why do they even have Nielson anymore? If you are going to try and tell me a company like Comcast cant give you an aggregate of what their customers are watching at any given time, I have to think that would be easy to program.

BTW when on demand and broadband have the same commercial load as broadcast then it's important to count them. The whole ratings thing is for advertisers.

Insomnium

GateFans Cadet
Rac80 said:
Let the paranoia of the fanboiz/gurlz run rampant at how I, Rac 80, have SABOTAGED SGU!!! *cue evil laugh* :twisted: :twisted:

And yes, we're in cahoots with Major League Baseball! :twisted:

tinfoilhat-33846.jpg

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Insomnium said:
Rac80 said:

And yes, we're in cahoots with Major League Baseball! :twisted:

tinfoilhat-33846.jpg
and the CIA and tea party movement! ;) it's a vast conspiracy to "ruin" SGU!!!! :twisted:

MissSGA

GateFans Noob
Interesting. LOL Nielsen now try to get a foot inside Germany I think. Last week I get a inviting-mail from Nielson company Germany. I was really surprised. Mh, maybe I should accept ...

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
MissSGA said:
Interesting. LOL Nielsen now try to get a foot inside Germany I think. Last week I get a inviting-mail from Nielson company Germany. I was really surprised. Mh, maybe I should accept ...
You definitely should! ;)

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Let me tell you my experience with rating organizations. In Canada a big one is the BBM - Bureau of Broadcast Measurement. I've done some phone surveys and they asked to follow up with a written one. Great, I wrote that I didn't listen to radio as it's nothing but shit and commercials. Sound familiar.

So I earned my buck, and that was that.

Next thing 5 bucks arrives along with the biggest honkin booklet you've ever seen. I mean it should have been bound. Thousands of questions about everything imaginable in your life. And not just yes/no, each question required more consideration than I'm used to outside an examination hall. After a page or two I figured I was going to be making 5 cents an hour so I just canned the thing.

I do phone polls as I figure I can make a difference there as the sample size is so small. But when someone wants to steal several hours of your time about laundry detergent tell them to move on and find another sucker.

That reminds me it's time to write the usual players and tell them what a crap series SGoo is. :mrgreen:

---> Hahahah now I'm Sergeant Rock!