My biggest issue with EP 7

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I have typed about this before, the guy in this video is nearly 'sympatico' with my views

what is it? FN2187 Finn and his behavior

tptb's should either have gotten more into stormtroopers and who they are and why or just left it as it was.

as is, nothing explains finn's behavior other then-

FN 2187 is obviously schizophrenic.Only explanation there is if we go by what is presented. The TPTB's most definitely allowed his transition from friend and companion of stormtroopers (all he knows) to a mass killer of the same-indeed people from his own unit, the closest bond-without remorse or even any hint of any type of decision making process. He also as know way of knowing that Poe is not a psychotic mass murdered, but befriends him and betrays his loyalty to help this unknown person. These are my biggest issues with EP7

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have typed about this before, the guy in this video is nearly 'sympatico' with my views

what is it? FN2187 Finn and his behavior

tptb's should either have gotten more into stormtroopers and who they are and why or just left it as it was.

as is, nothing explains finn's behavior other then-

FN 2187 is obviously schizophrenic.Only explanation there is if we go by what is presented. The TPTB's most definitely allowed his transition from friend and companion of stormtroopers (all he knows) to a mass killer of the same-indeed people from his own unit, the closest bond-without remorse or even any hint of any type of decision making process. He also as know way of knowing that Poe is not a psychotic mass murdered, but befriends him and betrays his loyalty to help this unknown person. These are my biggest issues with EP7

My biggest issue with Episode 7 was the constant reminding that it was not Episode 4, but wanted to be. I am not into Kylo Ren or Rey or Finn. I think that so many elements from Episode 4 were part of the film that it took the enjoyment away from it. And there was too much lens flare, and they tried too hard to remove R2D2 from the picture and try and get me to adopt BB8. In a short sentence, I did not really care for it. Rogue One was the real breakout hit for me.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Rogue One was the real breakout hit for me

a get a feeling all of the anthologies will be better--at least for us old folks--then the eps 7-9
----------------------------------------------------
hey-they moved up the Han solo movie to a May release. wonder what they will put out next christmas? asking because DISNEY promised a new SW's movie every christmas for 6 yrs

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
My biggest issue with Episode 7 was the constant reminding that it was not Episode 4, but wanted to be. I am not into Kylo Ren or Rey or Finn. I think that so many elements from Episode 4 were part of the film that it took the enjoyment away from it. And there was too much lens flare.

agree-mostly :)

but those are the big picture reasons, this guy is using a scalpel on a finer point of a bigger issue

1-the mental state of FN2187

2-the condition of stormtroopers over all

should they have been left for us to think of them muck like the CLones or should they get more exposure into the 'mechanics' of what makes a non clone a stormtrooper?

btw-there is a lot of canon and non canon writing on the life of troopers out there
as well as some decent fan fiction videos inspired by them

and if they continue to follow their 'borrowing' from LEGENDS, the TPTB's just may tap into one of those stormtrooper stories. they have brought a lot of LEGENDS stuff into canon through REBELS and I hear, in ep8, they reference characters from KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC game, bringing a lot of that game's events into canon as well

again, why think up new stuff when you can just so conveniently borrow from whats out there already?

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
agree-mostly :)

but those are the big picture reasons, this guy is using a scalpel on a finer point of a bigger issue

1-the mental state of FN2187

2-the condition of stormtroopers over all

should they have been left for us to think of them muck like the CLones or should they get more exposure into the 'mechanics' of what makes a non clone a stormtrooper?

btw-there is a lot of canon and non canon writing on the life of troopers out there
as well as some decent fan fiction videos inspired by them

and if they continue to follow their 'borrowing' from LEGENDS, the TPTB's just may tap into one of those stormtrooper stories. they have brought a lot of LEGENDS stuff into canon through REBELS and I hear, in ep8, they reference characters from KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC game, bringing a lot of that game's events into canon as well

again, why think up new stuff when you can just so conveniently borrow from whats out there already?

Star Wars still occupies a certain category for me. It's a spacefaring Swords and Sandals fantasy thing, and I don't expect them to have everything make sense.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You can't judge Star Wars which is fantasy by Star Trek standards (which are Science Fiction). It's part of why the Kelvin-verse does not work - JJ tried to makes Star Trek like Star Wars and it had the wrong feel and tone.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You can't judge Star Wars which is fantasy by Star Trek standards (which are Science Fiction). It's part of why the Kelvin-verse does not work - JJ tried to makes Star Trek like Star Wars and it had the wrong feel and tone.

EXACTLY. Neither critics or fantasy fans seem to be able to tell the difference between scifi and fantasy. They are NOT the same (I remember this argument with Gatefan76). Star Wars is NOT science fiction.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
a get a feeling all of the anthologies will be better--at least for us old folks--then the eps 7-9
----------------------------------------------------
hey-they moved up the Han solo movie to a May release. wonder what they will put out next christmas? asking because DISNEY promised a new SW's movie every christmas for 6 yrs

That is so sad. It means that Disney will be introducing a new character (read: new Christmas toy line) every year, and we will get an explodey, forced story. Right now they want to push this creature:

birdpoopstarwars.jpg

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's weird. While there are places to criticize EP7 on the details and such it did have the correct Star Wars tone and feel - and after the abominations that were the prequels that was big.

EP8 sounds like it is very polarizing on the other hand - people seem to either love it or hate it. Not having seen it I can't say which (if either) I fall into.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's weird. While there are places to criticize EP7 on the details and such it did have the correct Star Wars tone and feel - and after the abominations that were the prequels that was big.

EP8 sounds like it is very polarizing on the other hand - people seem to either love it or hate it. Not having seen it I can't say which (if either) I fall into.

I'm just done with the Skywalkers, Han and Chewbacca. That was the original trilogy and I wish they would stop bastardizing it.

Last edited:

I agree, which is why I take it easy on SW for the most part. I tend to criticize the more egregious flaws and let the rest of it go because I know it's fantasy, not scifi.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Disney will be introducing a new character (read: new Christmas toy line) every year

absolutely agree with new trilogy stuff and that goal of disney

my son told me he had read they are shooting for a next christmas release of another anthology movie

no word on if it is Obi Wan or the Boba Fett film, I think they actually got started on the Fett film though

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
EP8 sounds like it is very polarizing on the other hand - people seem to either love it or hate it.

going to it next week (yes, these are the only movies I pay to go somewhere else to watch)

since i dont care about spoilers because i want to watch it anyhow

and i am not going to spoil anything here

i am guessing that a lot of those ppl who don't like the Jedi part of the story DID NOT watch REBELS

In the last couple of seasons of REBELS we have gotten a lot of Jedi, grey jedi vs sith action and attempts at explaining the competing beliefs

sounds like ep 8 has some of the characters taking on those same questions

again ,did not see it yet so not sure

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i hear you may have your wish....

Hate to admit it, but Abrams actually managed to preserve the Star Wars universe and successfully continue telling the stories happening in that vast universe they established decades ago. Not so for Star Trek. I am going to watch ANYTHING they put out for Star Wars because I am still a fan of it. I'm just bored with the same old characters they keep things orbiting around. I don't need to know the extended Skywalker family story. And I am really not wanting to see a "young Han Solo". Don't even ask me about Boba Fett. :facepalm:.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
going to it next week (yes, these are the only movies I pay to go somewhere else to watch)

since i dont care about spoilers because i want to watch it anyhow

and i am not going to spoil anything here

i am guessing that a lot of those ppl who don't like the Jedi part of the story DID NOT watch REBELS

In the last couple of seasons of REBELS we have gotten a lot of Jedi, grey jedi vs sith action and attempts at explaining the competing beliefs

sounds like ep 8 has some of the characters taking on those same questions

again ,did not see it yet so not sure

Which reminds me...let me see if it is on Kodi yet. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
EXACTLY. Neither critics or fantasy fans seem to be able to tell the difference between scifi and fantasy. They are NOT the same (I remember this argument with Gatefan76). Star Wars is NOT science fiction.

i do :)

but then we keep repeating this convo

soon we will be old curmudgeons duking it out over the same st vs sw comparison

which is, of course, a false comparison to even consider

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I agree, which is why I take it easy on SW for the most part. I tend to criticize the more egregious flaws and let the rest of it go because I know it's fantasy, not scifi.

ahhh!

another voice of reason in the vast 'sw's vs st' void