Mute

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1464763/

Just saw this on Netflix. It's a new film by Duncan Jones, the son of David Bowie. He did a film called "Moon" in 2009 which you might have seen. He's definitely growing as a director.

The style of Mute was heavily influenced by Blade Runner. Same exact look. The only thing missing is the rain. The film itself is interesting, despite being very quirky. The story takes place 40 years in the future (there are flying cars, yay!) in Berlin and it involves a mute Amish man and a whole bunch of weird, unsavory characters.

I won't get too detailed in reviewing it. I'll just say that I thought it was okay. The direction and cinematography was very good. The story itself was weird and somewhat convoluted and has a very strong comic book feel to it. The protagonist is a good guy but he's not as fleshed out as he should have been. The antagonists are focused on more in the script, which makes the film somewhat unbalanced, especially since the bad guys are revolting creeps. The acting runs the gamut from good to obvious and forced. Oddly enough, for a small movie there are a fair amount of familiar faces throughout the film.

Gotta mention that this film is very dark, violent and disturbing. The weirdness of the bad guys is really emphasized in many scenes and it's kind of over the top at times. There's also a cadre of intentionally weird minor characters that populate the background of the film, all with the intent to mimic the Blade Runner style.

The actual scifi aspects of the movie are also kept in the background. They don't really affect the story much to be honest. So technically this isn't scifi in my estimation, but I guess some people call it "scifi noir. You could also call it a futuristic thriller.

So would I recommend this one? Well, it's definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea. I didn't hate it, but at the same time I found parts of it frustrating and disturbing (and over- acted). Was it horrible? No. Could it have been better? Yes. You will have to decide for yourself. If you're a fan of "scifi noir" and cyber punk you might find it worth a watch.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1464763/

Just saw this on Netflix. It's a new film by Duncan Jones, the son of David Bowie. He did a film called "Moon" in 2009 which you might have seen. He's definitely growing as a director.

The style of Mute was heavily influenced by Blade Runner. Same exact look. The only thing missing is the rain. The film itself is interesting, despite being very quirky. The story takes place 40 years in the future (there are flying cars, yay!) in Berlin and it involves a mute Amish man and a whole bunch of weird, unsavory characters.

I won't get too detailed in reviewing it. I'll just say that I thought it was okay. The direction and cinematography was very good. The story itself was weird and somewhat convoluted and has a very strong comic book feel to it. The protagonist is a good guy but he's not as fleshed out as he should have been. The antagonists are focused on more in the script, which makes the film somewhat unbalanced, especially since the bad guys are revolting creeps. The acting runs the gamut from good to obvious and forced. Oddly enough, for a small movie there are a fair amount of familiar faces throughout the film.

Gotta mention that this film is very dark, violent and disturbing. The weirdness of the bad guys is really emphasized in many scenes and it's kind of over the top at times. There's also a cadre of intentionally weird minor characters that populate the background of the film, all with the intent to mimic the Blade Runner style.

The actual scifi aspects of the movie are also kept in the background. They don't really affect the story much to be honest. So technically this isn't scifi in my estimation, but I guess some people call it "scifi noir. You could also call it a futuristic thriller.

So would I recommend this one? Well, it's definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea. I didn't hate it, but at the same time I found parts of it frustrating and disturbing (and over- acted). Was it horrible? No. Could it have been better? Yes. You will have to decide for yourself. If you're a fan of "scifi noir" and cyber punk you might find it worth a watch.

Thank you for this! I went to Netflix's page and Mute was the headliner with the trailer. I could not get a feel for what it was so I did not preview it. Now, I will. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Thank you! We will wait for the film to be released

?

Hey Leonard, can you please reply to this specific post with the following phrase:

I am not a bot. I am here at GateFans (please put a capital "F" in the middle of GateFans). Today is March 15, 2018.

Based on some of your responses here, I need to know for sure you are not a bot. Thanks!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
?

Hey Leonard, can you please reply to this specific post with the following phrase:

I am not a bot. I am here at GateFans (please put a capital "F" in the middle of GateFans). Today is March 15, 2018.

Based on some of your responses here, I need to know for sure you are not a bot. Thanks!

would a bot have the ability to fill out the info on the profile page?

just asking :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
would a bot have the ability to fill out the info on the profile page?

just asking :)

Yes. They (the questions) are nothing but fields in a database, and most bots can read. Besides that, forum platforms like Xenforo and vBulletin are known to the programmers.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
IIRC we had a thread somewhere in here about talking like a bot :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
He fooled me...

He answered the review comments in the Moon thread with "Thank you! We will wait for the film to be released".

I have temporarily unbanned him to see if he responds.

leonard_hartmann

GateFans Noob
?

I am not a bot. I am here at GateFFans

You know, it's a bit complicated. I did not figure out this part "Please use the date in the post, and not the date you respond" )) Where should I use it ?
-----
I think it should be something like this
I am not a bot. I am here at GateFFans. Today is March 15, 2018.

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
So, you know we are trying to make sure you are a real human so perhaps you might post a longer comment that goes beyond just a few words? Tell us what you thought. Or, just respond to the request here:

I am not a bot. I am here at GateFans (please put a capital "F" in the middle of GateFans). Today is April 13, 2018.
Didn't he already do that? He looks real to me.