MS reverses itself on some self-destructive Xbox One policies

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

AH HAHAHAHAHA!

They knew they were going to have a bomb on their hands if they followed through with that nonsense. LMAO! A complete reversal:

Excerpt:

Gamers shrieked with the fury of a thousand dying aliens out of “Halo” over the Microsoft policies. Players love being able to finish a game, trade it in for credit at a GameStop or another retail store and buy another one to keep feeding their game habits. Game publishers, on the other hand, get hives over used games because they haven’t been able to make any money from the resale of secondhand titles.

Microsoft’s reversal on Wednesday may quiet some of the criticism it has received in recent weeks. It will no longer require that the Xbox One be plugged into an Internet connection, which, among other things,would have prevented players from making copies of games and giving or selling game discs to others.

:smiley-laughing024::joy::SmileyLaughingTears:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Omni posted a video from Totalhailbuscuit about this.

To be fair guys, the family share option wasn't bad idea and now that feature has been scrapped entirely. It was actually a nice little innovation they had going. I wish steam had the ability to share games with friends. :rolleyes:.

Whilst I like the idea of second hand games, I don't like stores like gamestop who, actually make big bucks from second hand sales. They actually were happy about xbox reversing their decision to include DRM. No real surprise why they liked it. They buy a game for 5 bucks and then sell it for about 30 bucks but people continue to buy games from that trashy place.No idea why

Still, even though microsoft has patched the DRM issue, they still have the idiotic kinect which, comes mandatory with the system and it's something no one asked for. It's also 100 dollars more expensive than its competitor(i.e. the ps4).

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

To be fair guys, the family share option wasn't bad guys and now that feature has been scrapped entirely. It was actually a nice little innovation they had going. I wish steam had the ability to share games with friends. :rolleyes:.

Whilst I like the idea of second hand games, I don't like stores like gamestop who, actually make big bucks from second hand sales. They actually were happy about xbox reversing their decision to include DRM. No real surprise why they liked it. They buy a game for 5 bucks and then sell it for about 30 bucks but people continue to buy games from that trashy place.No idea why

Still, even though microsoft has patched the DRM issue, they still have the idiotic kinect which, comes mandatory with the system and it's something no one asked for. It's also 100 dollars more expensive than its competitor(i.e. the ps4).

Dude, do you mean Gamestop or EB?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Yeah, but I was not sure if you meant those crappy little "game" stores that seemed to have popped up of late.

Small stores actually give you a better discount than ebgames most of the time. Unfortunately,expect to pay more since our aussie dollars keeps falling...

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Small stores actually give you a better discount than ebgames most of the time. Unfortunately,expect to pay more since our aussie dollars keeps falling...

Small stores have control, EB does not. Trust me dude, I worked for them for 5 years :P

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Small stores have control, EB does not. Trust me dude, I worked for them for 5 years :P

Ah...but I am right about ebgames making a killing from second hand used games no? ;). I have heard stories where ebgames staff would encourage customers to buy used games as opposed to a brand new game. Is this true?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Ah...but I am right about ebgames making a killing from second hand used games no? ;). I have heard stories where ebgames staff would encourage customers to buy used games as opposed to a brand new game. Is this true?

You are indeed correct. A newish game will fetch maybe 30 bucks on trade and get sold for 80, older games are even more bull because they give you maybe 4 bucks for them and sell for 30. The *only* time I would trade in with EB is when it is part of one of their "deals" when you may get a decent price for your trade in.

As for "pushing" 2nd hand games........... If I knew the game was in perfect condition I would put forward the option to customers, 20 bucks saved is still 20 bucks, and back when I was there, they still had year long warranties on all the 2nd hand games, so you didn't feel like a prick for suggesting it. I never pushed it, but I did make people aware of it. Were we *told* to push them because they represent a higher margin, of course.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

To be fair guys, the family share option wasn't bad idea and now that feature has been scrapped entirely. It was actually a nice little innovation they had going. I wish steam had the ability to share games with friends. :rolleyes:.

I've found some really nice titles at EB Games for $5 and $10. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Some of them have way too many copies of the same titles laying around. Then there's the bin. Love the bin! The bin can be a treasure trove!

I buy ALL my PS2 games at GameStop now (have been for the past 4 years). I never had to pay more than $20 for any game. But I have a PS2, and I just cant find them at Best Buy or online for cheaper. Defiance is the most expensive game I have bought recently, and that includes Starcraft II and it's expansion Heart of the Swarm for PC.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I've picked up some used games from GameStop. They actually let me return Half Life and get something else simply because I didn't like the game (I know, I know, please don't kick me too hard).