Moving...

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Personally I'm so disappointed with the melons I've gotten from the store the last few years that I'm sorely tempted to grow my own this summer. Alas, I haven't the space to grow them at this time. :(

I am doing "cherry" radishes and also "watermelon" radishes. Also a couple tomato plants in containers and some lettuce too. I've got parsley all ready for planting and I'll be picking up some basil plants shortly. That's pretty much all I'm doing this year. (My faithful chive plant has once again returned along with my oregano plant. But I don't have to do anything with those guys except to set them out in the sun after the snow melts here. They do the rest.)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Personally I'm so disappointed with the melons I've gotten from the store the last few years that I'm sorely tempted to grow my own this summer. Alas, I haven't the space to grow them at this time. :(

I am doing "cherry" radishes and also "watermelon" radishes. Also a couple tomato plants in containers and some lettuce too. I've got parsley all ready for planting and I'll be picking up some basil plants shortly. That's pretty much all I'm doing this year. (My faithful chive plant has once again returned along with my oregano plant. But I don't have to do anything with those guys except to set them out in the sun after the snow melts here. They do the rest.)

you can leave the chives in the ground over winter-their very hardy and extremely perennial-they will spread out their roots systems ever so slowly and pop up all through your garden area over time as well

do you have the purple flowered or white flowered chives?

my wife uses both, chopped, to make pancakes-yes, thats right chive pancakes :shame:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
you can leave the chives in the ground over winter-their very hardy and extremely perennial-they will spread out their roots systems ever so slowly and pop up all through your garden area over time as well

my wife uses both, chopped, to make pancakes-yes, thats right chive pancakes :shame:

Chives can be grown indoors, no?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Purple-flowered chives. Years ago I stuck a small plant from Steins nursery into a terra cotta pot and when winter rolls around I've just cut it back and tossed the thing into the garage. In Spring I take it out and set it on the patio and without fail it springs back to life. I'm convinced you can't kill these things. On the upside I like chives so it's win/win for both the chive plant and myself.

The oregano plant is another story. It's always small and doesn't produce much in the way of leaves. I like it and treat it well but resent the lack of appreciation from the plant. After all, if it wasn't for me the damn thing would have been tossed into the garbage awhile back. Flora, fauna or human, it seems that children never appreciate their parents, sigh. :moody:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Purple-flowered chives. Years ago I stuck a small plant from Steins nursery into a terra cotta pot and when winter rolls around I've just cut it back and tossed the thing into the garage. In Spring I take it out and set it on the patio and without fail it springs back to life. I'm convinced you can't kill these things. On the upside I like chives so it's win/win for both the chive plant and myself.

The oregano plant is another story. It's always small and doesn't produce much in the way of leaves. I like it and treat it well but resent the lack of appreciation from the plant. After all, if it wasn't for me the damn thing would have been tossed into the garbage awhile back. Flora, fauna or human, it seems that children never appreciate their parents, sigh. :moody:

bolded= its because its screaming "plant me, plant me (in the ground)!" :icon_lol:

seriously though--yes, its not cold hardy, bu, if you put it in the ground-like along the foundation of your house on the sunny south side-it would spread its roots and give you more leaves and sizw. probably to the point that you would need a bigger pot come fall.

also, you should pinch off leaves regulalry to encourage growth-potted or in ground

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Chives can be grown indoors, no?

sure, but eventually, the plants is going to "Cry" from a lack of nutrients and direct sun that it would get from outdoors

chives need only very little room (i know you don't have much) like along the foundation of the home

if not, i would at least get them in a deep,elongated pot for indoors so they can at least spread laterally

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
sure, but eventually, the plants is going to "Cry" from a lack of nutrients and direct sun that it would get from outdoors

chives need only very little room (i know you don't have much) like along the foundation of the home

if not, i would at least get them in a deep,elongated pot for indoors so they can at least spread laterally

Im micro-farming. :) My "other" setup is working so well, like clockwork, that I know I can expand successfully into vegetables I use frequently. Namely, lettuce (romaine, red-leaf) and tomatoes (Roma is my preferred). I am considering garlic and cilantro as well. Growing with lights allows a level of control not available with growing outdoors. I figure I can create 4-6 "grow chambers" like I have done for my other setup, and grow them separately in those.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so i checked...

most "modern" tomatoes require no pollinator

there are a few older heirloom types and some others that require pollinators/wind but something like a roma doesn't

so, even though you may be getting tomatoes already, at least now you know (if you already didn't) that it wasn't some errant bee or other bug that did it but the 'hermaphroditic' tomato flowers instead

tomatoes flowers "dance with themselves" :love_heart: