Movies that SHOULD have stunk but you wound up liking

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It was good, but it delivered it's message badly.
They should have stuck to the "traditional" 3 timezones (past/pres/future) to explain the interconnectivity, ditched the stupid "birthmark" shit (Are these all fewking Harry Potter wannabe's??), and told the story that way.
Don't get me wrong, the 5-6 timeframes was BETTER, but I am hardly surprised it tanked with them. Peeps don't go to movies to think, they go for eye candy.

Forget about the mainstream peeps...this is not for them. What did you think personally about the film? My take on the birthmarks was like yours...until about the 5th time I watched it. Then it came to mean something on a very deep level. Each timeline had one character who had the birthmark, and it was a different character each time. I took it as meaning that the same "soul" had reincarnated in a different body. In a nutshell, the movie was saying "We are one" or "The one is Many". Each timeline representing an aspect of this soul learning from itself. Did you go to see it or do you have it where you can watch it over and over?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Forget about the mainstream peeps...this is not for them. What did you think personally about the film? My take on the birthmarks was like yours...until about the 5th time I watched it. Then it came to mean something on a very deep level. Each timeline had one character who had the birthmark, and it was a different character each time. I took it as meaning that the same "soul" had reincarnated in a different body. In a nutshell, the movie was saying "We are one" or "The one is Many". Each timeline representing an aspect of this soul learning from itself. Did you go to see it or do you have it where you can watch it over and over?

Personally, I thought it was a great idea, but it was too easy to loose sight of the idea if you were not paying attention. From one viewing I got more than just "interconnectivity", I got the notion of soul migration (each person had to learn what it was like to be the master, the slave, the revolutionary etc) all held togeather by the notion of music, (or your inner voice if you prefer). There is also the notion of being yourself (the gay couple in an era where it is frowned on, or the slave who is an able seaman, or a mere server replicant seeing beyond their "prescribed role"), no matter the cost.

Many layers, just not used as well as they could have been, which is a touch disappointing. I reminded me of watching a good 500 page book being turned into a 2 hour movie, more than half the stuff was cut, and some of it would have really made the story. It had enough, just not enough to be really good, ya'know?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Personally, I thought it was a great idea, but it was too easy to loose sight of the idea if you were not paying attention. From one viewing I got more than just "interconnectivity", I got the notion of soul migration (each person had to learn what it was like to be the master, the slave, the revolutionary etc) all held togeather by the notion of music, (or your inner voice if you prefer). There is also the notion of being yourself (the gay couple in an era where it is frowned on, or the slave who is an able seaman, or a mere server replicant seeing beyond their "prescribed role"), no matter the cost.

Many layers, just not used as well as they could have been, which is a touch disappointing. I reminded me of watching a good 500 page book being turned into a 2 hour movie, more than half the stuff was cut, and some of it would have really made the story. It had enough, just not enough to be really good, ya'know?

Really? I guarantee that perception will change if you watch it a few more times. :) I think I have watched it about maybe a dozen times so far.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Really? I guarantee that perception will change if you watch it a few more times. :) I think I have watched it about maybe a dozen times so far.

Doubtful, I was actually paying a lot of attention to it.
It's incredibly nuanced, I'll give you that, the stray line or visual shot could have a lot of unspoken meaning to it that you don't understand immediately.
Don't get me wrong dude, I liked it, but I do feel that they sacrificed some real impact for all the "extra's". I could have quite easily expected that concept to be spread over 2-3 movies and not feel like I was watching fillers or being "milked".

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Doubtful, I was actually paying a lot of attention to it.
It's incredibly nuanced, I'll give you that, the stray line or visual shot could have a lot of unspoken meaning to it that you don't understand immediately.
Don't get me wrong dude, I liked it, but I do feel that they sacrificed some real impact for all the "extra's". I could have quite easily expected that concept to be spread over 2-3 movies and not feel like I was watching fillers or being "milked".

Ill say straight away that if you have only seen it once, then you have not seen it all. No way to see everything and understand it in a single viewing. Same with the Matrix trilogy. But I also agree that this should have taken place over the course of more than one movie...and still, the story is not closed. :) But since it bombed at the movies and was over the heads of simple critics, it will probably be a one shot, but what a punch it packs.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Ill say straight away that if you have only seen it once, then you have not seen it all.
Umm, yes, yes I have. Have I possibly missed bits? Sure, I'll concede that.
No way to see everything and understand it in a single viewing.
Umm, yeah, there is.
Same with the Matrix trilogy. But I also agree that this should have taken place over the course of more than one movie...and still, the story is not closed. :)
Of course it's not closed, the cyclical nature of humanity is a strong plot point, the story NEVER ends, don't make me break out Falkor on yo ass!!
But since it bombed at the movies and was over the heads of simple critics, it will probably be a one shot, but what a punch it packs.
Agreed.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Just watched THE MAN FROM EARTH (its on netflix)

Good movie, but the whole time I couldn't help thinking how 'John' could have been just another character in another chapter in The Boat of a Million Years by Anderson.

Even the part where he describes meeting "others like him" is nearly identical to some of the storyline from BOAT.

But, still a good movie all on its own.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
You know that according to our simian friend, I must love you now.........

Methinks someone is projecting..............

Now? You mean you don't love him already??? :icon_e_surprised:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I had forgotten about this movie but it just popped into my head and I think it fits this thread perfectly. Of course I'm talking about Frailty. I had misjudged it ahead of time because I heard that it was a horror movie about a serial killer, which is exactly the type of movie I don't watch as I find them to be lame, disgusting, pointlessly graphic and demented. Since I didn't want to support someone's dementia I ignored the movie for a long time, then one night I was up late and it was the only thing on to watch. I hesitated but thought I'd give it five minutes of my time because I like Bill Paxton who both stars in it and directed it. 100 minutes later I was like "Whoa! Great movie!"

Turns out it's more of a psychological thriller than just a gore flick. The killings that occur happen for a reason, not just for the sake of killing. And they are part of the questions you start to ask as to whether the father is crazy or the son is crazy, and are the victims really innocent people or are they something much worse?

So there ya go. If you haven't seen this movie yet I'd recommend putting it on your list.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264616/

MV5BMTIxNTE2MTY1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODYyMTc2._V1_SY317_CR1,0,214,317_.jpg

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just watched THE MAN FROM EARTH (its on netflix)

Good movie, but the whole time I couldn't help thinking how 'John' could have been just another character in another chapter in The Boat of a Million Years by Anderson.

Even the part where he describes meeting "others like him" is nearly identical to some of the storyline from BOAT.

But, still a good movie all on its own.

AWESOME movie! Great storytelling. :) Can writers still do this sort of thing? Im not seeing it. :( But The Cloud Atlas is one hell of a story. Its like eating ambrosia salad...you can never taste everything at one. You have to take bites and pick the flavors and the combinations of flavors out. But the common threads become very clear the more times you watch it.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
AWESOME movie! Great storytelling. :) Can writers still do this sort of thing? Im not seeing it. :( But The Cloud Atlas is one hell of a story. Its like eating ambrosia salad...you can never taste everything at one. You have to take bites and pick the flavors and the combinations of flavors out. But the common threads become very clear the more times you watch it.

I thought it was pretty cool the way they got fairly well known character actors to play in it-all in one room at one time (Liked Katt haven't seen him since GREATEST AMERICAN HERO and those comedy/horror movies-HOUSE I think they were called?)

Also, I like everything with Tony Todd in it-even CANDYMAN. I could listen to that guys voice all day long-some people just got "that voice" you know? He IS a good actor too,I especially thought his role as Kurn (Worf's brother) was probably his best.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And yes I am necroing an old thread because I have a movie to add to the "should have stunk but didn't" list....Ghost in the Shell. I watched it recently and to my amazement it drew me in. Scarlett Johansson was actually watchable in this which is a bit of an achievement. It successfully set and maintained a sort of weird, cyberpunk atmosphere and the visuals were well done.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And yes I am necroing an old thread because I have a movie to add to the "should have stunk but didn't" list....Ghost in the Shell. I watched it recently and to my amazement it drew me in. Scarlett Johansson was actually watchable in this which is a bit of an achievement. It successfully set and maintained a sort of weird, cyberpunk atmosphere and the visuals were well done.

Is this on Amazon?

Last edited by a moderator:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Alas not for free I think. I got it free because I get Xfinity and it is in their On Demand section.

I have this reaction to most of Johansson's work for some unknown reason. I see a movie advertised with her in it and I think "pass" but then when I catch it at a later date I find it quite good. Of course she's fine in The Avengers stuff because that's an ensemble cast. But stand alone movies with her always have me veering away and then being pleasantly surprised later on. I remember thinking this way when "Lucy" came out so I skipped it and then caught it later and really liked it. So if I get the chance to see this one I probably will now.

Oh yeah, another up-vote for the Bill Paxton movie "Frailty". It's horror but it definitely makes you think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I have a similar reaction to her. She's okay as Black Widow but I always wonder if she can carry a film. Ghost in the Shell worked for me I think because of the setting (like I said weird and Cyberpunk), visuals and the story was sufficient to carry it too.

This isn't the first time an oddball free film source like Xfinity has paid off. I found Crossroads (also in this thread) there too.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And yes I am necroing an old thread because I have a movie to add to the "should have stunk but didn't" list....Ghost in the Shell. I watched it recently and to my amazement it drew me in. Scarlett Johansson was actually watchable in this which is a bit of an achievement. It successfully set and maintained a sort of word, cyberpunk atmosphere and the visuals were well done.

Oh wow! I am watching this right this minute and I love it! Much better than I expected. It has a Blade Runner vibe to it, and is laden with massive special effects but the story is really quite good as well. Reminds me a little of her role in Lucy.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Excellent! You found it I assume?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Excellent! You found it I assume?

WOW! What a great movie! For me, it falls under the "I hadn't heard much about it and it has a boring title" category. :) But what a movie that is! GREAT story, well told and fleshed out with some over the top CGI, but in this movie the CGI was necessary and integral to the core story. Overall, an excellent movie.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Isn't Ghost in the Shell made after a video game?