Minimalist living - The Luxury of Less, the Logic of Smaller

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
we had to clean out my in-law's house--- my daughter has begged us to declutter ourselves. (there is a hoarding gene in hubby's family I swear)
So we have been getting rid of some stuff...but then we find something else to buy/collect.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
we had to clean out my in-law's house--- my daughter has begged us to declutter ourselves. (there is a hoarding gene in hubby's family I swear)
So we have been getting rid of some stuff...but then we find something else to buy/collect.
Consider collecting digital things instead of physical things if you have the need to collect something simply for the sake of satisfying a need to collect. Hard drives don't give as much clutter. ;)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Consider collecting digital things instead of physical things if you have the need to collect something simply for the sake of satisfying a need to collect. Hard drives don't give as much clutter. ;)

but, but, BUT!!!! there's always the latest gadget. (father-in-law had 3 commodore 64's!)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
but, but, BUT!!!! there's always the latest gadget. (father-in-law had 3 commodore 64's!)

The Commodore 64 changed my life. Because of it, I became a civilian IT professional. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is a commodore 64. It was one of the first mass produced home PCs on the market. I had a Pet computer before that, but it was monochrome and you could just not do as much with it. The Commodore 64 basically is responsible for the proliferation of home computers and was a runaway hit. It had color, you could play games on it, and you could print from it and also hook it up to a regular TV set.

Commodore64-640x404.jpg

Hugh Jass

GateFans Cadet
This is a commodore 64. It was one of the first mass produced home PCs on the market. I had a Pet computer before that, but it was monochrome and you could just not do as much with it. The Commodore 64 basically is responsible for the proliferation of home computers and was a runaway hit. It had color, you could play games on it, and you could print from it and also hook it up to a regular TV set.

View attachment 34950

You had a pet computer? Is that like one of those toy robot dogs or something like you have to feed or it dies like this?

https://www.igeeksblog.com/best-virtual-pet-apps-for-iphone-ipad/

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You had a pet computer? Is that like one of those toy robot dogs or something like you have to feed or it dies like this?

https://www.igeeksblog.com/best-virtual-pet-apps-for-iphone-ipad/

It was an earlier line of Commodore computers. But I think that was the idea, to get people to think of computers as pets to bring into the home. :) The incredibly successful Pet Rock craze happened in 1975, and the Pet computer line came out in 1977, so I think you are probably onto something with that. Suffice it to say that both the Pet and Commodore 64 computers had less computing power and memory than a dollar store digital watch.