Microsoft Surface Pro

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I've got my Pro hooked up to my desktop monitors and am using it instead of my full-sized desktop that isn't even as "good" as Fluffy, here. When I go elsewhere, I unhook it and take it with me. No muss, no fuss.

Can't do that with a desktop unless I have more cooperative native bearers to help me out. (The cats and dogs don't seem to feel it's "their" job to haul the desktop around for me. The selfish bastards!)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I've played around with it. You don't find it a little thick? I have a full ultrabook that's thinner than that thing.

No, not at all. I like my tech thick and durable. This case you can tell was probably co-developed for the military. I can EASILY see this thing decked out in a carbon fiber or kevlar shell and used in the military, which of course is Microsoft's biggest customer. Also, Lit has a point about the portability. I use an Acer Iconia A500 10" tablet for lots of stuff at home. I call up recipes in my documents folder on the network and read it in the kitchen, put the tablet in it's stand in the bathroom when I am showering, etc. But still, when I "settle down", I put the tablet away and get on my touch computer. Essentially, this Aspire A5600U-UB25 is a 23" tablet standing up. It is running Windows 8.1 and I use the desktop when on that computer. But it is not portable, meaning it has to be plugged in. The Surface would allow me to take advantage of the portability and the usefulness of the desktop and give me Windows across the network except for my one Linux box.

Bluce Ree

It's still too thick. My ultrabook with touch screen is thinner than the Surface. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent piece of tech but, if I want something I can take onto a battlefield as you mentioned, the Surface is a stupid idea as would be my ultrabook. Thickness does not equal sturdiness and durability. HP is the perfect example.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Ya, Bluce, but I can stick my Surface Pro in my bag and take it with me easily. When you're carrying photographic equipment with you (Nikon D3S, 70-300, 50mm 1.8 and 1.4 lenses, SB external flash and whatever else I'll need to have on hand), that's going to be heavy enough without adding the weight of a full-sized laptop to the mix.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's still too thick. My ultrabook with touch screen is thinner than the Surface. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent piece of tech but, if I want something I can take onto a battlefield as you mentioned, the Surface is a stupid idea as would be my ultrabook. Thickness does not equal sturdiness and durability. HP is the perfect example.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Ya, Bluce, but I can stick my Surface Pro in my bag and take it with me easily. When you're carrying photographic equipment with you (Nikon D3S, 70-300, 50mm 1.8 and 1.4 lenses, SB external flash and whatever else I'll need to have on hand), that's going to be heavy enough without adding the weight of a full-sized laptop to the mix.

My conundrum is...do I really need an ultrabook/tablet? I have my Macbook Pro for portable workstation, and I have my Acer A500 tablet for home and with SpashtopHD remote, I can open Windows 8 living on my home VMware server and use it as if it were on the tablet (which runs Android). The tablet now rarely leaves the house because I can do most of my day to day stuff on my GS4 and leave the laptop at home. But I may just need to get it and perhaps new uses will manifest. :)

Bluce Ree

Surface Pro is 2 lbs. My ultrabook is slightly over 2 lbs. The latest iterations of ultrabooks equipped with carbon fiber shells are under 2 lbs. Not seeing the advantage on weight or even size when considering an 11" ultrabook.

The only pro to a Surface Pro is that it's a full-fledged Windows 8 x86 tablet that can run all your Windows applications but that's it, technically speaking. Even the price doesn't really give it much of an advantage anymore.

Bluce Ree

My conundrum is...do I really need an ultrabook/tablet? I have my Macbook Pro for portable workstation, and I have my Acer A500 tablet for home and with SpashtopHD remote, I can open Windows 8 living on my home VMware server and use it as if it were on the tablet (which runs Android). The tablet now rarely leaves the house because I can do most of my day to day stuff on my GS4 and leave the laptop at home.

You just answered your own question.

But I may just need to get it and perhaps new uses will manifest. :)

You know as well as I do that's just the kid in you reasoning. I know because I'm the same way. :icon_lol:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Surface Pro is 2 lbs. My ultrabook is slightly over 2 lbs. The latest iterations of ultrabooks equipped with carbon fiber shells are under 2 lbs. Not seeing the advantage on weight or even size when considering an 11" ultrabook.

The only pro to a Surface Pro is that it's a full-fledged Windows 8 x86 tablet that can run all your Windows applications but that's it, technically speaking. Even the price doesn't really give it much of an advantage anymore.
While waiting in line for The Thrilling Adventure Hour this past weekend, my kid and I spent some time playing World of Warcraft, using her Verizon Wireless internet hotspot and our two Surface Pros. ;)

Bluce Ree

While waiting in line for The Thrilling Adventure Hour this past weekend, my kid and I spent some time playing World of Warcraft, using her Verizon Wireless internet hotspot and our two Surface Pros. ;)

You're just too adorable! :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
:icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao:

She's within walking / driving distance of you, brother. I, on the other hand, am safe on the other coast. :icon_lol:

Im drilling my attack cats right now, just to be safe. :icon_cool: :P