MGM Greenlights "Vikings"

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
If MGM isn’t keen on continuing the Stargate franchise on television right now (story), just where are they putting their money? Following a handful of announcements about MGM’s new, post-bankruptcy film projects over the last several weeks, today news has arrived on the studio’s first new television series commitment.

MGM is getting into the historical epic genre with Vikings (working title), from The Tudors executive producers Michael Hirst and Morgan O’Sullivan, Deadline reports. The 10-episode series will likely be a good fit for a premium cable channel, which in recent years have found big success in historical dramas such as Rome, Spartacus, and the new Starz series Camelot.

The drama is set in the world of the Scandinavian warriors between the eighth and eleventh centuries. It will center on Ragnar Lodbrok, a famous Viking commander who briefly ruled Denmark and Sweden.

The show will be a co-production with O’Sullivan’s soon-to-open production studio in Ireland. MGM will finance 100 percent of the show outside of Ireland, and distribute the series in the U.S. and internationally.

MGM is also producing MTV’s new foray into scripted fantasy with Teen Wolf, which premieres June 5. That series has been in production since 2009.
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2011/05/mgm-green-lights-vikings-series/

Sounds interesting. Could be worth a look-see once it hits the screen. Though if the Vikings have those completely historically inaccurate horned helmets in this, I won't even give it a glance.

G

Graybrew1

I loved Tudors and if they can make it as good as that, I will definitely give it a go. :cool:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
:tealc-gun02:

J/K

Oh, and I totally agree with you. Beyond Fail.
I can't help but think of Teen Wolf 2 with Jason Bateman in the lead role.

It isn't as if that thing did well at all - the first one was more than a little crappy, too, so I was surprised when it got anything resembling a sequel.

I think it's MTV's jump on the "supernatural critter show" bandwagon.

Meh.

G

Graybrew1

I can't help but think of Teen Wolf 2 with Jason Bateman in the lead role.

It isn't as if that thing did well at all - the first one was more than a little crappy, too, so I was surprised when it got anything resembling a sequel.

I think it's MTV's jump on the "supernatural critter show" bandwagon.

Meh.

A little scary too. How low they are willing to sink. But then again with the things some people watch these days..........maybe it will make them money. :facepalm:

Green for you.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I can't hold out too high hopes, as the previous cable "historical" dramas have emphasized the drama (in particular bedroom drama) over the history.

And it is a pity too. The Vikings were a completely fascinating culture, and far more than just raiders. They were prolific traders and merchants, and also big time explorers (Newfoundland, Greenland, Russia, Turkey, etc. ). They figured prominently in the early history of Scndinavia, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Russia, Sicily and even Turkey (the Byzantines actually had an elite unit in their Army composed of Vikings (the Varangian Guard).

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
A little scary too. How low they are willing to sink. But then again with the things some people watch these days..........maybe it will make them money. :facepalm:

Green for you.
they'll probably get Justin Beiber :eek:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2011/05/mgm-green-lights-vikings-series/

Sounds interesting. Could be worth a look-see once it hits the screen. Though if the Vikings have those completely historically inaccurate horned helmets in this, I won't even give it a glance.

what? you mean "Hagar the Horrible" isn't accurate?! :icon_razz:
but seriously
free McD's happy meal with apple slices if anyone knows where the whole "horned helmet" thing came from (that is--actually worn in combat and not ceremonial)?
there are actually 2 places--one a bit closer to Europe than the other. C'mon guess --I double-dog dare ya's! :joy:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
interesting you brought that up back then-in the series we see they have them in no helmets at all. equally inaccurate

I was also surprised that Ragnar would have been so sloppy in the second siege or Paris. I'd think Vikings would know better when it comes to what to anticipate.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Let's see how historical they stay. If they stay historical the series should end with our "heroes" getting their booties kicked by Alfred the Great.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Let's see how historical they stay. If they stay historical the series should end with our "heroes" getting their booties kicked by Alfred the Great.

The mystical stuff is kind of hokey and distracting from the story I think. Like when Floki had the sex vision about Ragnar's wife. I found that stupid.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The mystical stuff is kind of hokey and distracting from the story I think. Like when Floki had the sex vision about Ragnar's wife. I found that stupid.
it was a poorly conceived visual, but i think they are setting him up as the new Seer

last ep-or the one before-had the current Seer licking Floki's hands, suggesting that Floki was to be his replacment