Merlin

trelaine

GateFans Noob
I put off watching this for a whole season and a half but I ran out of stuff to watch (because most television right now sux) and I must say I like it! Entertaining and fun to watch - Somewhat similar to Legend of the Seeker but much less violent (though I must say I liked LoS too.)

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
I like to watch Merlin for the most part. Its got action, humor, romance, drama..the works. The US has to wait awhile for Merlin to show.

Will

GateFans Noob
Awesome

I just watched episode 1 of the 3rd season of Merlin and....it's awesome! Don't want to give any spoilers but suffice it to say I can't wait for next week. Ahhh finally something worth watching on TV again over here.

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
It'll still be a while to it Merlin comes back across the pond I believe. :icon_e_sad:

Will

GateFans Noob
Just saw episode 2 of third season. Awesome awesome awesome.

2 episodes in and we've already had
a dragon, a helm's deep-style castle assault, and an army of undead.

More action in 2 episodes than SGU has had in a whole season. Kickass.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO tempted to click that spoiler button!

MUST RESIST...... DO...NOT....CLICK IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many episodes so far? There's no way that I'm waiting for the US broadcast, but I do want to get a couple of episodes lined up for a mini-marathon.

MUST RESIST...............

Will

GateFans Noob
MUST RESIST...... DO...NOT....CLICK IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many episodes so far? There's no way that I'm waiting for the US broadcast, but I do want to get a couple of episodes lined up for a mini-marathon.

MUST RESIST...............

2 episodes into season 3 so far. New episodes airing every Saturday, total 13 episodes in the season.

2 episodes into season 3 so far. New episodes airing every Saturday, total 13 episodes in the season.

As soon as I saw that - two episodes - I clicked the tag. I'll give it two more episodes before I pick them up and watch. I can't beleive all that much happened already. I wanna ask HOW, but I'm just going to wait for two more episodes and be surprised myself.

Thanks for the heads up.

Vanb

GateFans Noob
The Evil Smirk of Doom!

Okay, I haven't been on the forums in a while. Quite frankly, I don't really have anything else to add to the SGU discussion. I don't watch the show at all. I only watched the first two episodes. That was enough to tell me that I didn't want to see anymore. So, I've just been doing the occasional lurking.

However, I do watch Merlin. So, I can come here to discuss that. Also, I know of no other place to go to vent, as it doesn't seem as though there are many who share my opinion, and I don't wish to inflict it upon anyone else if they are enjoying the show as is. I'm in the US, but I've been watching series 3 along with the UK folk thanks to the miracle of downloading. For the most part, I really enjoy this show. It's cute and fun. Yes, it's full of plot holes large enough to drive a truck through, but there are some redeeming qualities. The greatest of which, for me, is the acting done by Colin Morgan and Bradley James, particularly Colin Morgan. He's just a wonderful up and coming actor, and I'm enjoying watching his progress as an actor. At this point, with the writers and producers really getting on my nerves with their reluctance to move the story forward, particularly with regard to Merlin's magic reveal, the interaction between the characters, and the brilliance with which those interactions are carried out by some of the actors, is the primary thing pulling me through some of the episodes.

So, I've stated all that to preface one main point. Katie McGrath as Morgana is killing my enjoyment of this show. She is not a trained actress. I understand that; however, that fact is becoming more painfully obvious with each passing episode. She has a palette of about 3 or 4 emotions that she knows how to act, and she does all of them using very big expressions without a hint of nuance. The primary one causing me to constantly facepalm during most episodes this season is her evil smirk of doom. It's that look that the camera pans to after an unsuspecting character has left the room or turned his or her back. It's the look that the villain uses to say, "Ha ha, I am evil and up to no good. See how my smirk conveys my evilness." She has been doing it since the first episode of season 3 and she has done it in every episode in which she is heavily featured since then. I just finished watching episode 7, and she does it more than 10 times in that one episode. I refuse to go back to get an exact count, because it's just too painful and ridiculous to watch. The woman is just not a good actress. She is weak at best. I'm not saying that she has no talent at all, but what little she has is being spread dangerously thin.

What's worse is that her acting badness is spilling over on to other characters. For example, I really enjoyed the character of Morgause in series 2. I thought that Emilia Fox did a great job last season, but she's having to do most of her scenes with Katie McGrath this season, and it's just not playing well imo. It feels as though she's attempting to be generous with Katie by matching her pacing a bit more, and it's only serving to drag down her own performance. This is on top of the fact that whenever Morgause does any type of smirk it automatically feels over the top, not because the smirk is not justified but because Katie has already used up all of the smirking quotient for that episode. The main actors who seem to be immune to being infected by her bad acting virus are Richard Wilson (Gaius) and Colin Morgan (Merlin), which says quite a bit about the skill level of each of them that not only does she not bring their performances down but they, in fact, seem to slightly elevate her minimal skills.

Honestly, I don't mean to pick on poor, untrained and inexperienced Katie McGrath. Good on her for going for it, even if she doesn't have the training. I'm not faulting her for living out a possible dream, but her dream is costing me my enjoyment of this show. I'm fixating on it and venting about it, because not only is it hindering my enjoyment, but it also seems as though almost everyone (at least those on the interwebs) are completely blind to it. I actually read a review about an episode (I forgot which) that stated that her performance outshone all the other actors. Seriously?! :facepalm: It's as though her physical beauty has blinded them to her weakness as an actress. I just wish that the writers could find a way to use her a little less during the episodes. She really does not have the skill set to carry an episode. The episodes that I enjoy the most are the ones where she speaks the least.

Okay, I'm done venting now. :D

Will

GateFans Noob
Haha, yes, her continual evil smirk of doom was starting to drive me up the wall yesterday too. Hasn't anyone else in Camelot noticed the fact that whenever anything bad happens, she pulls an utternly blatant "oh ho ho, I'm so evil" smirk? Having said that, it's about the only thing I can criticise about this show. I just love it.

Vanb

GateFans Noob
Haha, yes, her continual evil smirk of doom was starting to drive me up the wall yesterday too. Hasn't anyone else in Camelot noticed the fact that whenever anything bad happens, she pulls an utternly blatant "oh ho ho, I'm so evil" smirk? Having said that, it's about the only thing I can criticise about this show. I just love it.
Oh, hello there. People in Camelot don't seem to be very observant. They don't notice Morgana's evil smirk of doom. They don't see Merlin doing magic all over the place, and apparently, no one looks up into the sky ever. If they did, then at least one person would have noticed a big dragon flying about through the air on occasion. :icon_lol:

There are other things for which I could criticize the show, not the least of which is the fact that they keep stalling character growth in favor of "keeping the magic secret." However, I could honestly live with most of the flaws that I see in the show save this one. I am very much a character person. I love watching characters that interest me interact with one another, and I also love good acting. Katie as Morgana is totally killing my buzz for this show. One of the main things that has allowed me to ignore all the other flaws is that my love of the characters and appreciation for some of the performances on this show has trumped everything else. I could even deal with Morgana's one-dimensional self (that part is completely the writers' fault) if one of two criteria were met: 1) Katie Mcgrath magically becomes a better actress or 2) The producers and writers make the wise decision of moving her more to the background of the show. I don't really see either of those things happening, and that's an extreme disappointment for me. I loved seasons 1 & 2, but except for a few episodes, Morgana was largely in the background of those seasons. IMO that was a good thing. I'm having a hard time dealing with the weakest link in the production being front and center of almost every episode. I think that their plan to make this season Morgana-centric was a very bad idea considering the person that they've chosen to helm that role.

Vanb

GateFans Noob
Merlin Series 3 Premiers in January 2011 in U.S.

For those in the U.S. who get Syfy, Merlin Series 3 is scheduled to air beginning January 7th of 2011. I will have already seen all the episodes by then, but I'll probably go ahead and watch them live anyway.

PegDIG2004

GateFans Noob
I'm really enjoying Merlin. I've gotten my husband hooked on it too. Like Sanctuary, it's another great recommendation by SGUS members. I'm always on the lookout for good scifi/fantasy to replace the greatly missed SGA and SG1.

I was really happy that Syfy played a marathon recently so we could watch the very first episode, which we missed. I always seem to come into great shows after multiple seasons have already aired.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I like "Merlin", even though it skews a bit juvenile for my tastes at times, but still, it's watchable and rather fun if one doesn't expect Shakespeare from it. Like "Sanctuary" I think it's well done and I can always count on being entertained for an hour on Friday nights. I'm glad it's succeeding.

It's another fun show to watch. I agree the formula doesn't deviate much, but the acting and storylines make up for it, for me. Just a fun, quirky fantasy show.

I think I read that's it's been renewed for another season in the UK, although for a shorter episode order.

Will

GateFans Noob
I find Merlin extremely entertaining. It's one of the few new and original things on TV these days, nice to have something to look forward to on a Saturday night.

Oh for the days of old when Saturday night was a new Simpsons followed by new Voyager, Monday night was new DS9 night, Tuesday was new JAG night, Wednesday was new SG1 night, Thursday was new Outer Limits night...

There really is nothing to watch these days. *Grumbles* Looking forward to next Autumn when Merlin returns for S4.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The more I watch this show the more I like how simple it is yet also how effective it is. It makes no apologies for simply being entertaining and that's it. Blows my mind that many show runners today don't follow this model anymore when it's obvious that it's a successful formula.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
She is beautiful!

I really like that picture from Morgana. The look in her eyes is great. It is a perfect "I am evil" look in my opinion. :D

And here is a nice picture of the dragon.

Both pictures and those in my current signature are from the BBC Merlin site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/merlin/

Ill be honest...I havent seen a single episode :redface:. But now I am thinking I shold start watching perhaps? If they are doing that sort of thing and they have her in there...cant be all bad! :)

PegDIG2004

GateFans Noob
The more I watch this show the more I like how simple it is yet also how effective it is. It makes no apologies for simply being entertaining and that's it. Blows my mind that many show runners today don't follow this model anymore when it's obvious that it's a successful formula.

It's so true. This is the kind of show most viewers want. Why won't they give us more? This is a great show. It's fun, exciting and has characters I actually care about.