McKay....My change of heart?

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
*looks around for her nemesis and waits for the gloating*
smsmileys28.gif

I have been enjoying sga's season one and have moved onto season two and have been shocked :eek: that McKay is not nearly as annoying as I remember him. :eek: Is this because I have mellowed? Or because in my mind his bad points became exaggerated? OR (and this is most likely IMHO) after watching several eps of sgu, I found that McKay actually had GOOD points compared to the sgu losers? Doesn't matter why...just must finally admit that McKay is not the most annoying character in the Stargate universe.
neenerneener.gif

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
*looks around for her nemesis and waits for the gloating*
smsmileys28.gif

I have been enjoying sga's season one and have moved onto season two and have been shocked :eek: that McKay is not nearly as annoying as I remember him. :eek: Is this because I have mellowed? Or because in my mind his bad points became exaggerated? OR (and this is most likely IMHO) after watching several eps of sgu, I found that McKay actually had GOOD points compared to the sgu losers? Doesn't matter why...just must finally admit that McKay is not the most annoying character in the Stargate universe.
neenerneener.gif

i would not gloat, i may do a happy dance of joy, but no gloating!

Also for those who find mckay annoying, i think its more to do with him being front and centre a lot. if you like say, Teyla, the most out of the characters. i would think seeing mckay or any other character getting more screen time would be annoying.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
To me, while McKay was ultra-annoying on SG:1, while he may have started out as completely and utterly annoying, over time, he mellowed out a lot -- at least as far as his character was concerned. If you had never seen the character before and sat down to watch him in the last season, you would never know that he used to be even worse. LOL

I will always love the episode where he was in the process of ascending (or perhaps just plain dying)...and after asking Ronon if the scars on his back were some kind of cultural thing, and being told that they weren't, McKaygave Ronon that big hug...and in the process, removed the scars.

I thought that was a very sweet moment. Rodney didn't often do "selfless" things, but when he did, you noticed them. :)

B

Backstep

McKay became more of a team player over time and developed friends, that lead to the mellowing of his charterer.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
McKay became more of a team player over time and developed friends, that lead to the mellowing of his charterer.

Which is how i like to see characters grow. Not be given all the info all at once or have them change with a snap of the fingers into different people.

B

Backstep

Which is how i like to see characters grow. Not be given all the info all at once or have them change with a snap of the fingers into different people.

That's the way i like seeing characters grow too, the events that happen to each character over time determines how they are. To change a character the writers need just to add an event that changes the coarse. These new shows that want to focus on character development only, only pigeonhole themselves and leaves the character one dimensional.

Lilith

GateFans Noob
To me, while McKay was ultra-annoying on SG:1, while he may have started out as completely and utterly annoying, over time, he mellowed out a lot -- at least as far as his character was concerned. If you had never seen the character before and sat down to watch him in the last season, you would never know that he used to be even worse. LOL

I will always love the episode where he was in the process of ascending (or perhaps just plain dying)...and after asking Ronon if the scars on his back were some kind of cultural thing, and being told that they weren't, McKaygave Ronon that big hug...and in the process, removed the scars.

I thought that was a very sweet moment. Rodney didn't often do "selfless" things, but when he did, you noticed them. :)
Like when he apologized to Radick and commented him on being a good scientist. Endeared him.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I liked McKay a lot in SGA. He came in as the same character from SG-1 and over time learned to play well with others.

Now McKeller on the other hand.... :P

Inara

GateFans Noob
McKay was intended to be annoying in SG1, to be a foil for Carter, yet destined to fail to make Sam look good in the storyline. Once he was on SGA, he had to grow as a character in order to succeed, both with the other characters and the audience. A lot of people couldn't get past the first impression, though as you can probably tell, I was not one of them. :icon_e_wink:

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
McKay was hilarious. He grew as a character, I think, most in SGA. But that Keller thing, ugh, he could do better. I mean character wise. Keller was a pretty bad character, sorry Keller fans. The actress is pretty awesome though but yeah, badly written character. Where was I? Oh McKay, freakin hilarious. And St. Clare please restrain yourself, use handcuffs if necessary. :P