McKay and Woolsey in SGU

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You can find in this thread
http://forums.sgusucks.com/showthread.php?581-David-Hewlett-News-and-Info
already some news from David Hewlett and tweets he got after he wrote this on twitter:

There are also more information about the episode they are in in the Season 2 SPOILERS thread:
http://forums.sgusucks.com/showthread.php?386-SPOILERS-Season-two

And there is now an article about David Hewlett and his opinion about the SGA/SGU crossover on Gateworld:
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/09/hewlett-discusses-sgasgu-crossover/#comment-12582

I already knew they were going to destroy my second favorite SGA character (McKay is second, Sheppard is my first, Teyla is my third, Ronan 4th). Woolsey doesnt make my list of SGA characters, and I personally dont even count him in because he just didnt click in SGA for me.

In that interview, Hewlitt says they "let just enough of the character in, but not enough to take away from SGU". To me that translates into "pod-McKay, not OUR McKay". Just like Daniel and Jack. Only Amanda Tapping was able to come into SGU and convey a quiet smugness like "hahaha...im here, but Im sooo not into this cheesy cameo".

Do they really think the fans will come back in droves to see that episode? NOT!

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
Tapping wasn't even in a direct scene with the SGU cast. Shanks was just with Carlyle. I'm curious if McKay will even be on Destiny. They won't only screw McKay, they'll screw Atlantis as a whole as well because the timeline for the Atlantis movie would be ruptured by mentioning any Atlantis character. Forgive me for I haven't watched S5 of SGA yet (still on season4). But wasn't Woosley a dick? From my SG1 experiences he was the enemy!

JohnSN7

GateFans Noob
I liked Woolsey in Atlantis

Tapping wasn't even in a direct scene with the SGU cast. Shanks was just with Carlyle. I'm curious if McKay will even be on Destiny. They won't only screw McKay, they'll screw Atlantis as a whole as well because the timeline for the Atlantis movie would be ruptured by mentioning any Atlantis character. Forgive me for I haven't watched S5 of SGA yet (still on season4). But wasn't Woosley a dick? From my SG1 experiences he was the enemy!

I won't spoil anything. All I'll say is that he goes through some character development/growth in season five of Atlantis (the good kind, not the SGU kind). I personally liked him in Atlantis. Others didn't. It's really a personal preference, but even if you didn't like him he was still tolerable and contributed to the story (unlike some SGU characters).

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
I thought that, he was pretty good in that episode where Replicators take over Atlantis in season 3. But after that the only time I recall him on SGA was when Carter was yelling at him:D

JohnSN7

GateFans Noob
They better not do what I think they're going to do

We all know they will butcher McKay and Woolsey's characters. We know that. What I absolutely do not want to see though is Rush or Eli (especially Eli) outsmarting McKay. I would rage quit the show instantly if that happens. Up until then I've actually seen every episode. I know, I know. It's tough, but I got a lot of stamina. ;)

JohnSN7

GateFans Noob
I know. That seems to be him through SG1 too

I thought that, he was pretty good in that episode where Replicators take over Atlantis in season 3. But after that the only time I recall him on SGA was when Carter was yelling at him:D

Carter and Weir yell at him quite a lot, but they do say that of all the IOA representatives, he is the best one (scary, right?). His character will change because he will gain a different perspective of events in season 5 (due to a different role in Atlantis). You'll see soon enough.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
Well going by the flurry at twitter it looks like TPTB idea is working as theres a few on there who are going to watch sgpoo just for mckay - some seem to think they will need to watch all the show to get the cross over ep others are under the impression Mckay is in more than one ep!

SerenityS

GateFans Member
David Hewlett's tweet yesterday:
Stargate Universe wardrobe fitting today. Holy mother of nerd what a beautiful set! Parked in a spot marked @DavidBlue, that a problem? ;-)

Joe Flanigan's tweet this morning:
Receiving cryptic SOS's. It's Hewlett..needs help...he's..omg..guest starring on what? SGU. What was he thinking?!..must..warn..others

Pariah

GateFans Noob
What the **** is Woolsey supposed to do? I'm doubting they're going to have both Wray AND Woolsey unless MingNa's being paid by lines (in which case she's getting peanuts for this show). He's going to show up and attempt to solve the Lucian Alliance problem? Berate Wray for being a shite job or just have Wray come over and talk to him in person?

Pariah

GateFans Noob
So basically the same plot as usual. Great.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I already knew they were going to destroy my second favorite SGA character (McKay is second, Sheppard is my first, Teyla is my third, Ronan 4th). Woolsey doesnt make my list of SGA characters, and I personally dont even count him in because he just didnt click in SGA for me.

In that interview, Hewlitt says they "let just enough of the character in, but not enough to take away from SGU". To me that translates into "pod-McKay, not OUR McKay". Just like Daniel and Jack. Only Amanda Tapping was able to come into SGU and convey a quiet smugness like "hahaha...im here, but Im sooo not into this cheesy cameo".

Do they really think the fans will come back in droves to see that episode? NOT!
I'd like to set one thing straight here because I keep reading it in this forum over and over:

There have been NO cameos by Jack O'Neill or Daniel Jackson on SGU. Ever.
What we saw during seasons 1.0 and 1.5 were guest appearances by RDA and Michael Shanks, the actors. There's a big difference. Granted, they played characters also named Jack O'Neill and Daniel Jackson in SGU, but these are not to be confused with their counterparts from SG1.

Likewise, there will be no cameos by Dr. McKay or R. Woolsey on SGU. We will see guest appearances by the actors David Hewlett and Robert Picardo. What characters they will be playing remains to be seen when episode 15 ai... er.. comes out in the "Final Season DVD".

Copenhagen

GateFans Noob

I might watch it just because I liked David Hewlett so much in SGA as McKay, but now I'm really scared. I mean MY GOD MAN! Are they really going to mess up the McKay Character? If I was David Hewlett, I'd act like I was going to do what they said, then get in there and say..."Nope" I'm not going to ruin the McKay Image for the fans of that character. And, then just be McKay. And, be like "Your all a bunch of flaming McStupid Idiots!, that are in way over your head here." And, proceed to Demeaning Dr. Rush.

With me it was probably McKay First, Shepperd Second, Ronon third, Telya fourth. I like you don't count Woolsey, but...although I really did not like him (mainly because we were lead to despise his character all up to that, then we were forced to deal with him being a key player in the story line.) However, He actually surprised me, I thought he would be way worse then he actually was. I want say he was good, but I accepted the fact he took on that role there at the end.

SerenityS

GateFans Member
I might watch it just because I liked David Hewlett so much in SGA as McKay, but now I'm really scared. I mean MY GOD MAN! Are they really going to mess up the McKay Character? If I was David Hewlett, I'd act like I was going to do what they said, then get in there and say..."Nope" I'm not going to ruin the McKay Image for the fans of that character. And, then just be McKay. And, be like "Your all a bunch of flaming McStupid Idiots!, that are in way over your head here." And, proceed to Demeaning Dr. Rush.

With me it was probably McKay First, Shepperd Second, Ronon third, Telya fourth. I like you don't count Woolsey, but...although I really did not like him (mainly because we were lead to despise his character all up to that, then we were forced to deal with him being a key player in the story line.) However, He actually surprised me, I thought he would be way worse then he actually was. I want say he was good, but I accepted the fact he took on that role there at the end.

I briefly considered watching Seizure but decided against it as I do believe, as has been stated above, that the characters will not be our McKay and our Woolsey. I did like Woolsey on SGA, I had serious reservations at first but for me, he turned out to be the best commander. He fit the role of background support better than Weir and Carter did. My favorite character by FAR is Sheppard and the only one I'd seriously consider watching SGU for. And then I'd cry. :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Sheppard would never fall for it!

I briefly considered watching Seizure but decided against it as I do believe, as has been stated above, that the characters will not be our McKay and our Woolsey. I did like Woolsey on SGA, I had serious reservations at first but for me, he turned out to be the best commander. He fit the role of background support better than Weir and Carter did. My favorite character by FAR is Sheppard and the only one I'd seriously consider watching SGU for. And then I'd cry. :(

Flanigan would NEVER have allowed such a thing. For all he knew, they could get footage of him just enough to piece it into a death scene where he is mangled and torn to bits AND burned up in the bowels of Destiny whilst Rush and the others look on from an alternate universe or something. :icon_e_biggrin:

SerenityS

GateFans Member
Flanigan would NEVER have allowed such a thing. For all he knew, they could get footage of him just enough to piece it into a death scene where he is mangled and torn to bits AND burned up in the bowels of Destiny whilst Rush and the others look on from an alternate universe or something. :icon_e_biggrin:
And he'd still be cooler than all the SGU characters put together! :P

Also, why is the first mention of a SGA character on SGU a comment by James about what a perv Rodney McKay is? Sheesh.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
And he'd still be cooler than all the SGU characters put together! :P

Also, why is the first mention of a SGA character on SGU a comment by James about what a perv Rodney McKay is? Sheesh.

I actually thought that it fit pretty well with the character. McKay is a bit of a perv, IMO. Though he did get better towards the end of SGA but James could've met him earlier than that...

SerenityS

GateFans Member
I actually thought that it fit pretty well with the character. McKay is a bit of a perv, IMO. Though he did get better towards the end of SGA but James could've met him earlier than that...
But after 5 entire years of SGA history to choose from, the ONE element they thought important enough to mention in their shiny new show was that Rodney McKay is a perv? Really? Way to show respect for a show that, with its' success, allowed you to make your little drama fest a reality. Sheesh!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Wait till my review is published tonight!

But after 5 entire years of SGA history to choose from, the ONE element they thought important enough to mention in their shiny new show was that Rodney McKay is a perv? Really? Way to show respect for a show that, with its' success, allowed you to make your little drama fest a reality. Sheesh!

Oh, I will DEFINITELY be discussing that little scene in my review tonight. :) TJ and James both making comments about him, after they had Daniel's name roll of their tongues...TJ says "whats his name again?" PLEASE. James would have been come on to by any red blooded straight male because of her "qualities". Thats being a perv?

james.jpg

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Oh, I will DEFINITELY be discussing that little scene in my review tonight. :) TJ and James both making comments about him, after they had Daniel's name roll of their tongues...TJ says "whats his name again?" PLEASE. James would have been come on to by any red blooded straight male because of her "qualities". Thats being a perv?

View attachment 3500

I dunno. Nice assets but the man-face is a bit of a show stopper. And, no, a flag or paper bag won't do.