Matt Smith quits as Doctor Who

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
TBH, I was not a fan of Matt Smith as the Doctor, something always rang "off" with his portrayal, possibly because he came off as a "fun kid" more than anything else. (Sorta like Ace from DW 7) His additions to the overall mythos of DW however should not be ignored.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I can take him or leave him. At any rate, now the game begins to find someone to replace him in the role. I'm gonna predict this time they will either go with a black guy or possibly a woman. What say you?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I can take him or leave him. At any rate, now the game begins to find someone to replace him in the role. I'm gonna predict this time they will either go with a black guy or possibly a woman. What say you?

Giving Timelords arbitrary gender would be the stupidest move this show can make. :icon_lol: We've already seen female timelords. If they want to go with a female timelord then either bring one into the show or make a new series where we follow one. Ramona, during Tom Baker's era, went into the mirror universe with K-9. She could easily have her own series by making a comeback. :)

I'd be fine with Doctor Who regenerating as a black dude or Indian dude or Asian dude or whatever. :D

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'll miss Smith. His Doctor was a bit hyper but also a badly needed tonic to the way Tennant's Doctor degenerated into EMO slop near the end.

Really, I'm hoping they buck the trend and go for an older actor this time around. Sean Pertwee would be interesting as would Bill Nighy or Sam Neill. An older actor with more gravitas would be a nice change and in fact would compliment the direction Moffat has been steering the show in.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I'm one of the oddballs who prefers Smith to Tennant.

Never been a fan of Tennant.

And I would LOVE it if Sean Pertwee took over as the Doctor.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Simon pegg should be the doctor :P. Nah, but seriously, I'll miss Matt Smith. It's a shame that he had such a short career in it. Wish him well though for his future projects. He had a very unique character for compared to the emo David character.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually he had 4 seasons. Not that short.

Hoping this time they go to an older actor.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I think they should cast Gordon Ramsay as the next Doctor. He could use a bit of that swashbuckling pirate's potty mouth.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
John Oliver would be brilliant in the role.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
As long as we get an older actor with some real screen presence and gravitas I will be happy.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Red Mage

Boney
As long as we get an older actor with some real screen presence and gravitas I will be happy.

They went exactly in that direction with the 12th doctor being portrayed by Peter Capaldi which from little I have seen of his acting appears to be a great choice.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Not familiar with this guy so I'll have to wait and see how well he works out in the role.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm optimistic. He's both older and has shown presence and gravitas before on the stage. The older should mean we get a less hyperactive Doctor and they will want to use the gravitas so we should get one more akin to an "old series" Doctor.