Matt Smith not planning to quit Doctor Who

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep, and now he's Amy's husband, so we get a dynamic on the show not seen since the William Hartnell years (with Ian and Barbara).

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I have to say that I actually like Rory. He's proving to be a pretty decent companion and much less annoying than Mickey.

'Too many cooks spoil the soup!'

I don't know why they didn't let the Doctor and Amy have more "alone time" in their development. Having Rory there just makes it more crowded. I guess the same can be said about River Song, who I do like. But what they should have done then is had River Song be the companion and not had Amy.

I also don't know why they always have to have a young woman play the companion. Is Dr. Who a dirty old man? What's wrong with having someone middle-aged or even elderly? And why are they always from the 20th/21st Century? It would be great if he found a companion from say the 1500's or so. Can you imagine how fantastic and interesting someone like that would find the adventure?

So, yeah, Amy Pond isn't anything special in terms of the story. She is, in many ways, a carbon copy of all those who have come before her. I'm talking of the "new" version of Dr. Who started by RTD of course.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually Amy isn't the same. Unlike other companions the Doctor directly influenced her childhood and development, and also she had important parts of her past vanish through time cracks. In the finale she got everything back and also got married, so it remains to be seen how her character will change now that we can see the Amy who actually had parents and an upbringing.

Based on the Christmas special she seems a bit softer.

Inara

GateFans Noob
Why is american media hyping the crap out of doctor who?

Because it's airing on BBCA on the same day it is in the UK. Since it's new in both countries, they know they can get interest from both countries (and then some), versus the usual "it's old news by now" stuff.

JaffaKree!

GateFans Member
While I like Rory and am not a fan of the unlikely and forced "romance" angle between every single companion and the Doc (especially since he never sleeps with any of them and all in all seems asexual, so what's the point? Is this the male vision of what romance is? Longing stares?)
However, this right here deserves a standing ovation:

I also don't know why they always have to have a young woman play the companion. Is Dr. Who a dirty old man? What's wrong with having someone middle-aged or even elderly? And why are they always from the 20th/21st Century? It would be great if he found a companion from say the 1500's or so. Can you imagine how fantastic and interesting someone like that would find the adventure?

So, yeah, Amy Pond isn't anything special in terms of the story. She is, in many ways, a carbon copy of all those who have come before her. I'm talking of the "new" version of Dr. Who started by RTD of course.

:ditto:
All the companions are very traditional females. They might be all sass and self-confidence on the outside (btw, how does he run into these impossibly confident women?), but deep down they're oh so fragile and weepy and sensitive.
Meanwhile, the male characters are non-traditional in terms of fictionalized masculinity (the Doc, Jack, Rory...). I wish they took some of that and made female characters that didn't come out of the 50's housewife playset. River seems tough, but that's just the flipside of the same coin, because what matters to her the most, is the Doctor. I do sort of like her though, at least I like her better than Amy.
I liked Donna too, until she started crying all the time and saying "DOC-TOR!" until she got her way.

Sorry about being a sourpuss grumpyface.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Matt smith looks like an old man? Really?
I suppose if you go for the "he's been around for a bloody long time" thing.

However, in his past few incarnations, he's not regenerated as a truly "older" man (unless you're so young that 30 means you're "old"), so technically, he wouldn't be a "dirty old man".

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why is american media hyping the crap out of doctor who?

Because unlike in the UK and the EU, Doctor Who is just not big in the American science fiction community because it hasnt gotten hyped in the past. We have gotten used to a different style of scifi because of Trek and Stargate. DW could become very big here. :)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Because unlike in the UK and the EU, Doctor Who is just not big in the American science fiction community because it hasnt gotten hyped in the past. We have gotten used to a different style of scifi because of Trek and Stargate. DW could become very big here. :)

I mean it's great to see,but I wish it didn't take till the 6th season for BBCA to synchronize with the BBC. The fanbase could have been much larger and the cult could overshadow that of stargate and star trek. Doctor who is massive in the UK!

I admit though, at first when I saw doctor who coming back to television, I was feeling a negative about the show because the original was a great classic(I thought they probably ruined it!) but decided to give it ago when it came on the ABC down here. ! I saw the "planet of the dead special, and to my surprise, I was intrigued of how great that episode written.Before I knew it,I was hooked! Thank god I was wrong! It was a great substitution,when stargate(SGA) was cancelled. I now watch a crap load of british television because their way of writing is a little different but they do a fantastic job at capturing the audience! I really wish BBC would get more Science(Fiction) shows up in the air.