Mass Effect

XCVG

GateFans Noob
Anyone else here play Mass Effect (1 or 2)?

I've played the first three times, still working on my first playthrough of ME2. ME2 has better combat and feels much more cinematic, but also less RPG and more shooter. I actually considered writing a ME/SGA crossover, but figured it was a stupid idea and I was busy. Ironically, I bought Mass Effect because I hated SGU and needed something to fill that gap. What I just said was disjointed and didn't make much sense. Expect more posts like that in the future.

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
Mass Effect fucking ROCKS.

It's actually very similar to Stargate in many ways, the humor definitely is similar with teh sarcasm and edge of sci-fi :P

You're not crazy for wanting to write a crossover between the two, because if you are...

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6260570/1/Apostles_Message

Then so am I :D i really should update that soon. Been so busy working :(

theOldOne

GateFans Noob
Played it, it's awesome.

And Claudia Black is in it :D

Bioware does know how to write a good story.

XCVG

GateFans Noob
I know it's been done, but the crossover I planned is a pretty weird one. Set early S4 Atlantis, after Therum in Mass Effect. Carter switches bodies with Shepard through an experimental matter bridge (not on purpose, the bridge was supposed to draw energy). Now she must learn to act like Shepard, or the whole galaxy is screwed. It would require some fudging of the way the stones work, though.

UNEFMandella

GateFans Noob
I've been a longtime fan of BioWare for their work on the KOTOR series. I cannot wait to pick up an XB360 to play both of them out. It seems like the best Sci-Fi that is out today compared to what is on the tube.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
Mass Effect 3 Announcement trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZGFjBmD41Q

I've been a fan of Mass Effect for some time now actually, the first was too similar to that of a standard RPG (too much faffing around with inventory and what nots) the second on the other hand was more balanced and streamlined but in the process took things off in design oversight. Either way both of good games, with great stories and characters that had surprising depth to them (except for maybe Kaidan and Ashley, still unsure about those). Out of all them in both games, I would say Wrex has to be my favorite character I just love his dry wit and sense of humor. In terms of female characters I found Tali to be absolutely adorable *squee!* I know I'm drawn to the girl who is good with her fingers and plays with toys
icon_twisted.gif

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
I think the Mass Effect plotline's similarity to a Stargate plot is the main problem with the franchise. ME1 set up the bad guys and their background, ME2 basically showed that they were competent and are actually going to be a threat in the near term as opposed to 1000s of years in the future, and ME3 will probably end with a deus ex machina or something Shepard finds killing the Reapers. There wasn't a lot of material to cover in ME2, so it felt kind of pointless aside from character moments and proving the Reapers weren't an easily thwarted force that could be ignored.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
I think the Mass Effect plotline's similarity to a Stargate plot is the main problem with the franchise. ME1 set up the bad guys and their background, ME2 basically showed that they were competent and are actually going to be a threat in the near term as opposed to 1000s of years in the future, and ME3 will probably end with a deus ex machina or something Shepard finds killing the Reapers. There wasn't a lot of material to cover in ME2, so it felt kind of pointless aside from character moments and proving the Reapers weren't an easily thwarted force that could be ignored.

To be short of a long winded explanation. You are wrong.

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
To be short of a long winded explanation. You are wrong.
To be fair, the stories are similar, but Mass Effect just does it better since it's one story where everything has a component to it. SG was a mishmash of everything without a clear concise plan.

Mass Effect 3 is going to fucking rock.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
To be fair, the stories are similar, but Mass Effect just does it better since it's one story where everything has a component to it. SG was a mishmash of everything without a clear concise plan.

Mass Effect 3 is going to fucking rock.

Story and Plot. No. Theme perhaps to yes.

Mass Effect is more similar to that of the Freespace games than anything else plot or story wise.

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
Story and Plot. No. Theme perhaps to yes.

Mass Effect is more similar to that of the Freespace games than anything else plot or story wise.
To be honest, Mass Effect takes so many elements from so many other works that you can find similarities to just about anything. Still, the plot isn't all that great on its own. If it weren't for the characters and the world it's set in, Mass Effect wouldn't be as big as it is.

That said, I really don't want this to become a thread full of arguing. If I wanted that, I would hang out more on the Bioware Social ME forums.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
To be honest, Mass Effect takes so many elements from so many other works that you can find similarities to just about anything. Still, the plot isn't all that great on its own. If it weren't for the characters and the world it's set in, Mass Effect wouldn't be as big as it is.

That said, I really don't want this to become a thread full of arguing. If I wanted that, I would hang out more on the Bioware Social ME forums.

I guess really I should have made my point, but in reality I couldn't be arsed to instead of being dickish and just saying no. So here it goes. Plots or premises are nothing really new or original in today's, but the originality lies within the telling of the story, within the characters and the world you create, if those are effective at drawing the player (because this is a game) in then it has succeeded.

Example, Avatar and District 9. Both have the same sort of trite plot, however D9 is more original in its presentation and how it handles itself unlike Avatar which was just the same old story we've heard time and time again.

You can see where Mass Effect draws its influence from, but like a good science fiction story it expands upon itself rather than relying on its influence (aka ripping off material). That is the point I was going to make, and I neither want to argue either so for that I am sorry.