Lou Diamond Phillips

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Great catch PSW! Although I'm surprised we haven't heard of more of the cast jumping ship and finding new jobs as quickly as possible...
Maybe SGU as your last gig isn't exactly a resumé enhancement! :D

Will

GateFans Noob
Hmmm, notice how they said "most recently recurred" not "is currently recurring"...

Could be the start of the decent actors jumping ship that we all predicted long ago...how many of them are going to want to be remembered as being some boring dull failed character on a boring dull failed show?

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
I think Lou Diamond Phillips won't have that bad luck. He was hardly or not at all seen in a lot of SGU episodes and he had already make himself a name before SGU.

BJS and Elyse Levesque on the other hand... :P
Honestly, Robert Carlyle and Lou Diamond Phillips are come out of this a lot better than the rest of the SGU cast due to their credentials. People might look at SGU and say "They wanted to try something different and it didn't work out." The rest of the A cast is probably going to be screwed, except for David Blue and Aliana Huffman, since David has geek appeal and Aliana has some other acting experience under her belt. Jamil Walker Smith is going to suffer for the shit writing he had to endure, which sucks since I think he has some potential and no one is ever letting Louis Ferreria be lead again. BJS and Elyse are probably going to be done after this, BJS in particular. He has too much baggage after calling out SG fans as basement dwellers for anybody with common sense to hire him.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

Honestly, Robert Carlyle and Lou Diamond Phillips are come out of this a lot better than the rest of the SGU cast due to their credentials. People might look at SGU and say "They wanted to try something different and it didn't work out." The rest of the A cast is probably going to be screwed, except for David Blue and Aliana Huffman, since David has geek appeal and Aliana has some other acting experience under her belt. Jamil Walker Smith is going to suffer for the shit writing he had to endure, which sucks since I think he has some potential and no one is ever letting Louis Ferreria be lead again. BJS and Elyse are probably going to be done after this, BJS in particular. He has too much baggage after calling out SG fans as basement dwellers for anybody with common sense to hire him.

Man's a liability.

podbaydoors

GateFans Noob
Hmmm, notice how they said "most recently recurred" not "is currently recurring"...

Could be the start of the decent actors jumping ship that we all predicted long ago...how many of them are going to want to be remembered as being some boring dull failed character on a boring dull failed show?

TPTB can't afford them. Decent actors cost money, and it's been my theory from the start that LDP would be the first to go because he a). cost a lot and b). is not as central to the story.

It's a mistake, though. He was (IMHO) the biggest name. Carlyle isn't well-known in the US.
They should have cast LDP for Young and hired a relative unknown for Rush. They've put their money on the wrong guy. But they wanted to make "art", not a commercially successful product.

podbaydoors

GateFans Noob
I think Lou Diamond Phillips is more charismatic than Louis Ferreira. His filmography is also much bigger. I bet he was too expensive for a main role.

If IMBd is right, LDP will appear in Cloverdale and Seizure. I guess those will be the last episodes with him.
But is LDP more expensive than Carlyle? Plus. they had to lure him from across the pond. I bet it's pretty close. They should have put their money on the more well-known American, not the more well-known Brit, if they wanted to bring in the ratings because overseas sales do not matter to Syfy, from what I'm told.

Perhaps they weren't worried about the ratings and wanted to attract more people from the UK, I don't know. But they failed on both counts!

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
It really depends upon how in demand he's been for "good" stuff.

If he's been doing the El Cheapo Supremo stuff (read: SyFy's "movies"), then there's a very good chance that he can be had for a pittance.

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
Don't forget he was on "I'm a Celebrity, Get me out of Here!"

It really depends upon how in demand he's been for "good" stuff.

If he's been doing the El Cheapo Supremo stuff (read: SyFy's "movies"), then there's a very good chance that he can be had for a pittance.

I'm inclined to think that is the case, based on the fact he was recently on I'm a Celebrity, Get me out of Here! Which is a reality show for mostly D-list washouts trying to cling on to their tiny shred of fame. Although I must say he carried himself very well on that show - he was pretty much the only one who came across as a genuinely nice guy, and didn't reveal himself to be an asshole at any point like most of the other participants. So I actually respect him for that, and he's someone I'd like to see have continued success in his career. Leaving SGU is definitely a step in the right direction, for sure.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
That's the gamble those big names take. Will the show bomb (yay! No S3) or last 10 years tying up their careers. Even Tapping got preggo waiting for SG to finally end.

I doubt Carlyle would even put this on his resume. Better just to say he spent two years in jail. :rotflmao:

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
But is LDP more expensive than Carlyle? Plus. they had to lure him from across the pond. I bet it's pretty close. They should have put their money on the more well-known American, not the more well-known Brit, if they wanted to bring in the ratings because overseas sales do not matter to Syfy, from what I'm told.

Perhaps they weren't worried about the ratings and wanted to attract more people from the UK, I don't know. But they failed on both counts!
Carlyle was already looking for work over here when SGU snagged him. He did that 24 TV movie and was looking at various shows before settling on SGU because it was in space or something like that.

podbaydoors

GateFans Noob
Carlyle was already looking for work over here when SGU snagged him. He did that 24 TV movie and was looking at various shows before settling on SGU because it was in space or something like that.

Hmmm. Maybe LDP and Carlyle were not too pricey. From the buzz, I kind of thought they were. But that buzz mostly came from SGU fanboys and TPTB so....

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
Hmmm. Maybe LDP and Carlyle were not too pricey. From the buzz, I kind of thought they were. But that buzz mostly came from SGU fanboys and TPTB so....
Carlyle is good, but he hasn't been in too many big movies (the biggest was one of the Brosnan Bond movies, the one with Denise Richards), so he's not too expensive despite being far and away the most talented actor playing a main cast member. LDP has really done many big projects since the 80s and has been on stuff like that one George Lopez sitcom, so he shouldn't be all that expensive either.

Tropicana

Council Member
What was his pilot?

If that baby is his in his pic, maybe he should pitch for a reality TV show about him raising his baby.

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
What was his pilot?

If that baby is his in his pic, maybe he should pitch for a reality TV show about him raising his baby.
I think it was a cop drama or something.

Personally, I wish he'd gotten cast as Young over Louis Ferreria for SGU. That would've given it some dynamics, as opposed to having Robert Carlyle blow Ferreria out of the water despite not even trying to act.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
It's not LDP's fault SGU tanked. I think he did a very good job with what the writers gave him and what little screen time he had. Probably most producers recognize that and hopefully he'll get a new gig soon :)

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
I have only watched some episodes of season 1 and LDP had only a minor part in most episodes I watched. In some he didn't appear at all. So I agree with you. He wasn't there often enough to bring the series down. And I also think that his character was one of the more interesting ones in comparison to the other characters. Not that this means much. :P
Remember that one scene in Awakening where Telford and Young were arguing about letting Telford help? I mentally swapped LDP and Ferreria and it worked even better. But honestly, the only reason I really wish he'd played Young was so that I could at least eek out some enjoyment out of all the hours of SGU I watched so I could know what I was talking about when I said it was shit.

Personally, I think LDP's performance in Awakening and Resurgence (or whatever episode 210 was called) should definitely get him some more attention from casting directors. He's pretty solid lead material in my opinion.

F

Frumenta

His was pretty much the only character that redeemed that crapfest for me. Not sure whether he would have saved Young's character though. Ferreira has the opposite of charisma but I'm not sure whether Lou Diamond Phillips would have sold rape, attempted murder and constant whining any better.

Pity his pilot wasn't picked up. I hope he will be cast in something, he's talented and very easy on the eyes.

Copenhagen

GateFans Noob
Well, I might upset a few folks here when I say, I don't really care for LDP. I have not really liked him in anything that I have seen him play in. So, to me personally he just added to the horror.