LOST "officially" explained by show runners

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
No, they were not all dead the whole (geesh, did people really think that?)

therefore, the island was not some type of 'purgatory'

Wow, was LOST really this hard for Americans to comprehend? I mean I know some people just didn't like it, but I didn't know so many were dumb founded by it.

The ending "church" scene, I thought, was very easy to understand--one had to pay attention to the "chit chat" between characters during the last episode

anyways:

http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/12-highlights-from-the--lost--paleyfest-panel-054715551.html

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
Ehh, Lost was pretty pants overall. I mean first season was intriguing, then it just got more and more tedious to the point of I wish for characters to be shoved off, seriously like that Kate, oh yeah she can take a gunshot wound to the shoulder and be fine while Sawyer went into high fever from the infection.

Plus its Lindledof, we all know his creatively comes out whenever he was eating alphaspaghetti

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Alive on the island, dead in church.

Well, it wasn't really a "church" it was more of a physical metaphor of sorts

It will be interesting (like on a rainy day with nothing at else to do, kind of way) to watch this Paley Center interview--always wanted to know why the monolith only had 4 toes

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
Well, it wasn't really a "church" it was more of a physical metaphor of sorts

It will be interesting (like on a rainy day with nothing at else to do, kind of way) to watch this Paley Center interview--always wanted to know why the monolith only had 4 toes

Oh, my! You are one of those artsy-fartsy guys who believes the show was only about the characters. Unless, of course, you believed that the "Island" was one of the characters?

From past discussions somebody said they noticed a person with four toes in the "Hellmouth".

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Oh, my! You are one of those artsy-fartsy guys who believes the show was only about the characters. Unless, of course, you believed that the "Island" was one of the characters?

From past discussions somebody said they noticed a person with four toes in the "Hellmouth".

I'll admit-it took me a complete series re-watch to "get" all the points/plots, etc, etc, blah, blah,blah

I found it a very watchable and entertaining show-Glad they ended it when they did.

I know some ppl personally and others read online, who dropped out of watching it after the Freighter attack on the island. The next season with the flash forwards, I guess really "f'd" with them-guess they couldn't keep up, "passive watchers"

I don't claim it anything like "great show" etc, just good and entertaining. I do like shows where everything is not "handed/spelled out" for the viewer

No, I don't hold the Island as a character-just a "special place" that the creators developed

I found the "confusion" by viewers almost as interesting as the show

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This show was unwatchable to me. I still can't figure out what it was that people liked about it.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
This show was unwatchable to me. I still can't figure out what it was that people liked about it.

One thing I noticed bright-and-early, that you should not discuss "Lost" period because when people see oranges, I noticed I always saw something else, like watermelons.

Season 7 of LOST can be explained in one TZ epi:

Another morsel, occurred when Jack was coming out of the trees and passed a mouldy pair of runners suggesting that they were not reliving the crash over and over again.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
a quick explanation, as i saw it and in other LOST forums, similar viewpoints. and, I do not claim I am correct, it is just an opinion me and many others share; a common summation among us. there are of course, many other perspectives and conclusions from ppl who liked the show as well and said they "got it" though in a different way

the island all really happened

they crashed, they couldn't leave.

then they got out and tried to get back to life in LA. they couldn't

they make their way back and "fight the fight"

there Jack does die as do any other who died.

the ending scene in the church as well as the 'flash forwards' where we see characters living alternate lives is the un real one

that is, this is their Purgatory, their different levels of hell and / or process into heaven. It exists out of normal time. every one died at different times but they all see each other as they remembered each other during their shared trauma experience

they all died at different times--we know this because in the church we hear Hugo talking about 'all the years he was the protector of the island and Ben was his second'

when Ben is asked by Hugu (?) if he was "ready to come in yet" and Ben said he would like to sit on the bench outside the church longer that he wasn't ready yet. that is a metaphor for the catholic belief of the unready soul not yet willing to accept judgement

this gathering at the church is a "cosmic" reunion of these ppl who all were meaningful to one another in life as they all shared a very traumatic experience together

other clues that tell us the "church" is not real and a cosmic creation is in the religious iconography in the church. there are symbols of every religion in it; particularly the symbols of every religion of those gathered

---------------------------------
BUT come on now!!! It was just a tv show! you either liked it and enjoyed it; "got it" or didn't

this pre-occupation with trying to understand or whatever so many yrs later is......something :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
a quick explanation, as i saw it and in other LOST forums, similar viewpoints. and, I do not claim I am correct, it is just an opinion me and many others share; a common summation among us. there are of course, many other perspectives and conclusions from ppl who liked the show as well and said they "got it" though in a different way

the island all really happened

they crashed, they couldn't leave.

then they got out and tried to get back to life in LA. they couldn't

they make their way back and "fight the fight"

there Jack does die as do any other who died.

the ending scene in the church as well as the 'flash forwards' where we see characters living alternate lives is the un real one

that is, this is their Purgatory, their different levels of hell and / or process into heaven. It exists out of normal time. every one died at different times but they all see each other as they remembered each other during their shared trauma experience

they all died at different times--we know this because in the church we hear Hugo talking about 'all the years he was the protector of the island and Ben was his second'

when Ben is asked by Hugu (?) if he was "ready to come in yet" and Ben said he would like to sit on the bench outside the church longer that he wasn't ready yet. that is a metaphor for the catholic belief of the unready soul not yet willing to accept judgement

this gathering at the church is a "cosmic" reunion of these ppl who all were meaningful to one another in life as they all shared a very traumatic experience together

other clues that tell us the "church" is not real and a cosmic creation is in the religious iconography in the church. there are symbols of every religion in it; particularly the symbols of every religion of those gathered

---------------------------------
BUT come on now!!! It was just a tv show! you either liked it and enjoyed it; "got it" or didn't

this pre-occupation with trying to understand or whatever so many yrs later is......something :)

Okay, now I see why I found it unwatchable. :) I don't like anything that is nebulous and murky and unexplained. If they never make it clear, why watch it? Seems like Lindelof. He tried the same thing with The Leftovers. Too much religion-based nonsense for my taste. But that's just me. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Okay, now I see why I found it unwatchable. :) I don't like anything that is nebulous and murky and unexplained. If they never make it clear, why watch it? Seems like Lindelof. He tried the same thing with The Leftovers. Too much religion-based nonsense for my taste. But that's just me. :)

now the left overs was just dumb

there was one or two times when it could have made that jump to fantasy-sci fi, but just stuck with stupidly hashed drama instead

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan

....that is, this is their Purgatory, their different levels of hell and / or process into heaven. It exists out of normal time. every one died at different times but they all see each other as they remembered each other during their shared trauma experience

I will disregard Meng - Po's 18 levels of Purgatory as that was found out not what anybody saw or participated in.

Hugo "Hurley" Reyes, AKA: Jorge Garcia.

I howled at this picture when I saw it in a Buffy replay some years back. We get to see it in the very first season. If you look carefully it is in the cematary - west of the "Alpert" mausoleum.

Hurley300.png

There is a sign with a black background, with the word LOST in the foreground somewhere within "The Bronze".

Last edited: