"LiveScience" and other pedestrainisms

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
True. Many people are unaware that the Kosher dietary laws are directly from the Old Testament which is the beginning of the Christian Bible. In fact Leviticus chapter 11 is a very specific set of rule concerning dietary habits and preparation and eating. But the Christians dont really observe those laws.

Jesus dropped those restrictions, he was more of a mind that what comes OUT of your mouth is more likely to make you impure than what you put into your body.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I can't answer that one, It has always seemed somewhat odd to me as well.
I mean, the usual answer is because swine is considered "unclean", though why it s considered such a low animal is........ odd. Most of the time it seems to be a "philosophical/faith based" test for followers of whatever religion.

Now, git me some krispy bacon!!!!

Well, bacon IS hard to resist. I guess it can be used as a test of sorts. :icon_lol:

Bluce Ree

Jesus dropped those restrictions, he was more of a mind that what comes OUT of your mouth is more likely to make you impure than what you put into your body.

So that's where the act of vomiting associated to the devil came from? :D

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
So that's where the act of vomiting associated to the devil came from? :D

LOL
Not quite bro :lol:

I think that more came from the story of the demons being driven out of the child and into a herd of pigs who then threw themselves of a cliff.
(which in turn may have inspired the story of the pig in the Amityville horror)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Bluce Ree

LOL
Not quite bro :lol:

I think that more came from the story of the demons being driven out of the child and into a herd of pigs who then threw themselves of a cliff.
(which in turn may have inspired the story of the pig in the Amityville horror)

Which all comes right back to avoiding pork and Christ's philosophy that what comes out counts more than what goes in. Nice going, dude! :icon_lol:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Which all comes right back to avoiding pork and Christ's philosophy that what comes out counts more than what goes in. Nice going, dude! :icon_lol:

Sigh..................

He is talking about our words and deeds....................

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Why do religions bother playing diet police?

I think it had some to do with economics as well. If there was a plethora of pigs in Palestine back then, then they were cheap. Surely beef or goat was probably more expensive.

Priest pays the butcher, butcher pays the priest.

Whatever the reason-it was all about control.

Also, I think it could be argued that just as many other stories and laws of the time before any of the Torah was written, so too maybe some of the dietary laws. More as cautionary tales, but if the people are too stupid to follow caution then you ban it.

Like; what happens if you eat undercooked pork? What about eating raw or undercooked "creatures from the ocean floor"? Mixing meat with dairy in an unrefrigerated environment probably also breeds a good number of bacteria as well.

Just saying it is a possibility that this is why. What book are these laws in any how? Leviticus? Judges? Exodus? Any others? These are all books that lay out "rules to live by".

Same can be said for circumcision as well. The un-cut foreskin may harbor disease and bacteria if unwashed. Possibly harbor STDs in the "folds". There is now a massive program to circumcise males in Africa as an HIV/AIDS preventative as it has been scientifically shown that the un-circ'd male can harbor not only HIV but other STD's in his penile skin folds.

Other then stuff in the bible, we are making "discovers" with modern science that from time to time backs the "anceint wisdom" of tribal people all over the world.

check out the article:

http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/86/9/08-051482/en/

http://www.malecircumcision.org/

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
NPR's SCIENCE FRIDAYS.

Craig Venter author, LIFE AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT.

Digital Biology, Biological and social evolution.

New tech and theory has shown that living cells can be printed with a 3d printer after the cells DNA code was digitally transferred.

Flu vaccines have been developed using this tech.

Venter says that with this tech developed further, we may be able to do things like, say, if any type of life is found on Mars, then a robot can digitally code the dna of the "life", transmit it back to earth then print out that life form. Far better and more efficient then physically transporting it.

This could apply to man exploring further planets and parts of space.(the rest is my own words)
Say we send out a probe with the receiving equipment to receive digital transmissions from Earth, once it arrives at a planet or any portion of space we want to see our own "eyes", we could transmit the dna code of a human,supplied with the memory programming of that human, to that probe. Once there, the probe prints out and assembles the person (or grows in a tube/pod, etc). The person is grown and "programmed" with his/her own memory. They then can be used to make any "first contact" with any other life form.

Once done, the probe can do the process in reverse, sending back the needed data. The person created is stuck there, but it eliminates the necessity of actual human travel until we are really ready.

I suppose the same could be done with Mars; instead of flying actual people there, we send the dna code, print the needed "life stuff" grow them in a pod, then begin colonization. We could send all types of stuff-algae to help with O2, "good" bacteria, plant life, etc.

The podcast (23 minutes): http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=240751591&m=240751580

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

"Dutch scientists" -- :icon_lol:

*Seems that this might have been done before according to the comments section of the article. At any rate, if this theory does hold water it could form a legitimate basis for faster than light communication ala "subspace" could it not? (and no, this wouldn't mean you could take over someone's body simply by using magic stones ala SGU)

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
haha, yeah this kind of thing has been around for a while. There's sort of two notions of 'teleportation' within the quantum world. There's actual physical transport of some particle(s). That's constrained by speed of light cause it's the same matter being transported which runs into the same speed limit like all matter.

Then there's the transportation of the quantum information of a particle to another particle, quantum information being quantum numbers and such. This doesn't transport the same particle, but rather a specific quantum information (spin state) within the particle onto another particle elsewhere that is quantum mechanically entangled with it (actually this is not the true case cause there's a transitive notion in play involving 3 particles at the least).

After that, you have a whole slew of problems because when you get the quantum information, you destroy the entanglement. The whole process how they even achieve the entanglement is costly. There's just so much extra baggage and stuff that constrain things, one thing being what people even consider to be teleportation.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
haha, yeah this kind of thing has been around for a while. There's sort of two notions of 'teleportation' within the quantum world. There's actual physical transport of some particle(s). That's constrained by speed of light cause it's the same matter being transported which runs into the same speed limit like all matter.

Then there's the transportation of the quantum information of a particle to another particle, quantum information being quantum numbers and such. This doesn't transport the same particle, but rather a specific quantum information (spin state) within the particle onto another particle elsewhere that is quantum mechanically entangled with it (actually this is not the true case cause there's a transitive notion in play involving 3 particles at the least).

After that, you have a whole slew of problems because when you get the quantum information, you destroy the entanglement. The whole process how they even achieve the entanglement is costly. There's just so much extra baggage and stuff that constrain things, one thing being what people even consider to be teleportation.

And this exact explanation would inform those who have been "okay" with those goddamned communications stones in SGU why they are magic and nothing else. I am doubtful that there will ever be "teleportation" in the true sense. Specifically the traditional Trek way of doing it: disintegration of matter which is sent in a stream and reassembled. How would the atomic bonds be broken for energizing, then reassembled at a given distance from the disintegration device without a receiving station? Breaking the bonds would create something similar to a fission explosion, wouldnt it?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
NPR's SCIENCE FRIDAYS.

Craig Venter author, LIFE AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT.

Digital Biology, Biological and social evolution.

New tech and theory has shown that living cells can be printed with a 3d printer after the cells DNA code was digitally transferred.

Flu vaccines have been developed using this tech.

Venter says that with this tech developed further, we may be able to do things like, say, if any type of life is found on Mars, then a robot can digitally code the dna of the "life", transmit it back to earth then print out that life form. Far better and more efficient then physically transporting it.

This could apply to man exploring further planets and parts of space.(the rest is my own words)
Say we send out a probe with the receiving equipment to receive digital transmissions from Earth, once it arrives at a planet or any portion of space we want to see our own "eyes", we could transmit the dna code of a human,supplied with the memory programming of that human, to that probe. Once there, the probe prints out and assembles the person (or grows in a tube/pod, etc). The person is grown and "programmed" with his/her own memory. They then can be used to make any "first contact" with any other life form.

Once done, the probe can do the process in reverse, sending back the needed data. The person created is stuck there, but it eliminates the necessity of actual human travel until we are really ready.

I suppose the same could be done with Mars; instead of flying actual people there, we send the dna code, print the needed "life stuff" grow them in a pod, then begin colonization. We could send all types of stuff-algae to help with O2, "good" bacteria, plant life, etc.

The podcast (23 minutes): http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=240751591&m=240751580

More on this printing out of humans--better than space travel or teleporting. Of course, it still leaves "us" behind:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...pace_n_5439073.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
^That article reminds me of how criminally underutilized all the Trek transporter, replicator, etc. stuff are. They could be exploited in oh so many wacky ways.