Lets try this again! Who is up for playing direct IP?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Some of the best games to play with direct IP are:

Age of Empires I, II, III
Starcraft I

There are many others, but a nice online game of AoE can take a couple of hours of gameplay. I have a static IP and can host games, if anyone is interested in playing. :) Some of the other games involve going online to play like Novalogic games. Anybody want to do battle? :icon_cool:

G

Graybrew1

Starcraft I

There are many others, but a nice online game of AoE can take a couple of hours of gameplay. I have a static IP and can host games, if anyone is interested in playing. :) Some of the other games involve going online to play like Novalogic games. Anybody want to do battle? :icon_cool:

I have never played an online game in my life, but if enough others do and you don't mind a complete boob, I would be willing to give it go.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have never played an online game in my life, but if enough others do and you don't mind a complete boob, I would be willing to give it go.

The advantage of direct IP play is that there is no middleman. No "gaming lounge" to have to connect to, where there is a third party controlling the flow (and sometimes dropping the game in the middle!). Its fun, and addicting, because instead of dumb AI, the other player is SMART! The newer games have smart AI already, so the players are even more difficult to beat. But for a starter, Age of Empires III (any flavor) is a great start. If you and Illiterati want to set up a game, let me know! You will each need a copy of the game installed on your computers to play. I suggest Age of Empires II with no expansions.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The advantage of direct IP play is that there is no middleman. No "gaming lounge" to have to connect to, where there is a third party controlling the flow (and sometimes dropping the game in the middle!). Its fun, and addicting, because instead of dumb AI, the other player is SMART! The newer games have smart AI already, so the players are even more difficult to beat. But for a starter, Age of Empires III (any flavor) is a great start. If you and Illiterati want to set up a game, let me know! You will each need a copy of the game installed on your computers to play. I suggest Age of Empires II with no expansions.

There are also no annoying kids with their little cheat codes and hacked characters to ruin the game play either. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
There are also no annoying kids with their little cheat codes and hacked characters to ruin the game play either. ;)

YES! I used to really HATE that when playing Diablo and Diablo II. Town kill cheats that allow you to kill the players at spawn, then take their money and items. :mad:. You have any ideas for direct IP multiplayer games?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I'm always up for P-to-P gaming, I just need to have the time sync to do it with you guys

Mr. A

Super Moderator +

Starcraft I

I absolutely love AoE, but that's the exact reason I don't play!

G

Graybrew1

Well since I am a complete "virgin" to it, besides getting the game installed on my computer what else do I have to do?

Red Mage

Boney
Well since I am a complete "virgin" to it, besides getting the game installed on my computer what else do I have to do?

I thought about making a virgin joke but I won't ;).

Starcraft 1 freezes alot on Vista OS systems. Are AOE games available on steam? (Not a regular user of that service, I would actually have to re-download the program to check for myself)

G

Graybrew1

Starcraft 1 freezes alot on Vista OS systems. Are AOE games available on steam? (Not a regular user of that service, I would actually have to re-download the program to check for myself)

Darn, you know I kinda left that door open on purpose. ;)

I use Vista and Seven. Should I be concerned? What time of time will this game be?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

You just need to open the game, then type in the IP I give you (I own it and it is static and secure) and there sill be a game waiting there to join. It will showas GateFans in your Join list, and then you just click Join. :). But I need to be hosting the game for you to see it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I dont know...they are old games. :) Steam is a third party server, so thats not what we want.

G

Graybrew1

You just need to open the game, then type in the IP I give you (I own it and it is static and secure) and there sill be a game waiting there to join. It will showas GateFans in your Join list, and then you just click Join. :). But I need to be hosting the game for you to see it.

Okay, cool let me know when you guys/gays decide when you are gonna do it. Where do I get the game? Is it a download purchase?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

I'm ok with boob as I'm sure most will be.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Starcraft I

If I can get a steady enough Internet connection where I'm staying up here I wouldn't mind having something to pass the time. I have a month to kill up here before I'm back in Paradise.