Legendary Films is making Dune again

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I admit that I don't remember much about reading the book other than that I had a hard time getting into it. I'm pretty sure the exposition and patois turned me off, as can happen with fantasy worlds such as this. The reason I'm confused on it is because I know I read it at a time in my life when I (foolishly) never gave up on a book. I always read through to the end. I value my time more now and am ruthless when it comes to dropping books that don't reel me in quickly. But I guess there's a chance that I simply gave up on Dune and don't remember it.

I've tried to watch the Lynch movie several times but I can only get a few minutes into it before turning it off. And I never bothered with the miniseries. I guess the story just doesn't do it for me.

The book is 412 pages, and I read 105 pages. After only 75 pages, I was already bored with it and annoyed. On page 105 is when Yueh brought down the shield wall and had his little talk with the Duke about the poisoned tooth. The reason I did not read forward is because earlier I was still bothered with the fact that Emperor Shaddam IV had been in power 57 years, and that the Atreides family ruled Caladan for "27 generations". How is this society advanced? And why was Princess Irulan in the story at all? She literally had no part of anything. She had less importance than the flying suspensor lamps.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hi OM!

It's cool if you don't like it. Dune is an acquired taste sort of. It is definitely going to feel off if your "future view" is more Star Trek (or Larry Niven) oriented. Herbert and writers like Poul Anderson were not so much into the technology of things as the psychology and sociology.

I like the earlier Dune books in part because in High School I had to do papers on them.

For a different take on the future, have you ever read Larry Niven? I recommend books like Tales of Known Space (which was the inspiration the Expanse authors used in crafting their world), Protector and Ringworld.

That's the thing, I like the movie now and then, and it is not a hard watch. I love the style, the music and the way it was filmed. Very artistic. But the story as portrayed was not forefront because the visuals were so different. I had not read the book, because my preferred format for science fiction books is anthologies containing several stories from several writers. A single book over 400 pages? Nah. In addition, this story is not science fiction. I saw the miniseries version of Dune, then later the miniseries of Children of Dune.

I will check out Larry Niven. Right now, the Expanse books have raised the bar for me in terms of science fiction. :)

Hi OM!

It's cool if you don't like it. Dune is an acquired taste sort of. It is definitely going to feel off if your "future view" is more Star Trek (or Larry Niven) oriented. Herbert and writers like Poul Anderson were not so much into the technology of things as the psychology and sociology.

I like the earlier Dune books in part because in High School I had to do papers on them.

For a different take on the future, have you ever read Larry Niven? I recommend books like Tales of Known Space (which was the inspiration the Expanse authors used in crafting their world), Protector and Ringworld.

That's a good way to put it regarding the tech aspects vs. the sociology focus.

I'm still not well versed in Larry Niven yet but isn't he more actual science fiction as opposed to the fantasy genre that Herbert writes in? (I can't see labeling Dune as scifi.)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Larry Niven is definitely hard Science Fiction.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I think it is delayed right now.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Trailer looks good though!

Hmmm... Dave Bautista, Jason Momoa, Josh Brolin... I bet this will be good.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i know the Lynch movie gets a lot of shit, but i always liked it.. maybe because i never read the books?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
The mini series is so much better though.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The miniseries actually has some fidelity to the book story.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I remember paying 3 or 4 dollars to watch this mess in the theater the first time. I'm not likely to watch the remix. I don't think I liked the book that much either.