Legendary Films is making Dune again

Discussion in 'Science Fiction Movies' started by Joelist, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Joelist

Joelist I'm showing this for a reason! Staff Member

Yes, we're going to get the third attempt (the first two being the David Lynch disaster and the SyFy miniseries) to bring Dune to the screen:

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/legendary-dune-frank-herbert-1201923648/

So, can it be done properly? I hope so.

I think that to get this to work Legendary may need to consider splitting it into two films (it actually has a fairly natural split line when the Harkonnens use a traitor to destroy (or so they think) House Atreides) because there is just too much plot for a single film.

Beyond that basic decision, here are some things I think they need to do for this rendition to work properly:

One, stay away from weird costumes and baroque sets. Both Lynch's film and the SyFy miniseries committed these sins, and as a result looked so weird they took you right out of the story.

Two, no changing major plot elements. In this arena the SyFy mini did decently while Lynch's film was horrendous. This means that - yes - the main weapons for combat need to be edged weapons because of the whole Lasegun-Shield interaction issue (which needs to be shown). Also depict the Voice accurately as well as the Bene Gesserit and such.

Three, show fidelity to the characters as depicted in the book. For example, both SyFy and Lynch overdid the Harkonnens to the point they bordered on the comical. Especially Lynch here - the Baron, Feyd and Rabban all come across as psychotic idiots. In the book the characters were far more subtle.

Legendary has a real opportunity here, as Dune is a rich universe and has never been shown properly on the screen.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Overmind One

Overmind One GateFans Gatemaster Staff Member

Dune is one of the books I actually never got around to reading, because I had seen the Lynch film. When I first watched it, I liked it because of the story it was telling. The whole royal thing with all of the ornate architecture and haughty demeanor of the Emperor and the Reverend Mother was ridiculous. And the Spacing Guild Navigators were laughable.

That is where I think Syfy's version outdid Lynch's movie. The characters were better fleshed out too. I liked the worms of Lynch's movie much better than the Syfy version. I also liked the sonic weapons of Lynch's movie.

I think it's finally time to read the book, with an objective eye. :)

3. Joelist

I think once you do you'll see why Lynch's film is so reviled among the Dune community. Lynch got the atmosphere wrong, the characters wrong (like I said he made the Harkonnens into cartoon characters) and played a lot with the story.

The sound weapon for example really ticks people off because Lynch's "weirding module" (the weapon) is in the books the "weirding way". The weirding way was the unique approach to unarmed combat developed by the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood based on their lifelong training for extreme control of nerves and muscles.

Dune was unique in part because Herbert deliberately created a universe where "pew pew" was impossible. This was the result of personal and larger Shields which deflected projectiles and blades moving too fast, and if they interacted with directed energy weapons (like lasers) the result was a runaway fusion reaction and a nuclear explosion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tripler

Tripler Well Known GateFan

" Fear " "Fear is the mind killer"
    I always said that jokingly to my pit crew before I got into the car before a race ,,,

;) ;) ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Joelist

It will be interesting to hear from OM after he reads Dune (only the first book is necessary for now).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lord Ba'al

Lord Ba'al GateFans Member

Yes! Good stuff. I like Dune. Not so much the movie but the mini-series was cool. Will watch this when it arrives.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Overmind One

Overmind One GateFans Gatemaster Staff Member

The miniseries was awesome. Much better done than the Lynch movie which was directed like a stage play.