Kurtzman and his 5 year plan ; CBS reveals new Trek trademarks

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So, this dude is still in charge?

IDK, interesting video though, the guy sounds like a GF's member! :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So, this dude is still in charge?

IDK, interesting video though, the guy sounds like a GF's member! :)

I am very familiar with this guy's videos. :) BTW, this is from June, and no Kurtzman is no longer calling the shots for Star Trek shows. He can do interviews and still will appear on the episodes but in name only. Like Bryan Fuller.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
yeah idk and really don't care as long as anything made is in the mold of discovery :(

this picard thing sounds like a real snore fest

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
it is interesting though when (near the end) Kurtzman's comments on a enterprise/pike series

seems there is some fan demand for such a thing and of course the snobby punk seems to slough it off

"fans? screw the fans--we're making art!"

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
it is interesting though when (near the end) Kurtzman's comments on a enterprise/pike series

seems there is some fan demand for such a thing and of course the snobby punk seems to slough it off

"fans? screw the fans--we're making art!"

If I read Shari Redstone right, she will make life hell for Kurtzman's vision for Star Trek. She is not a feminist, she is not on the side of SJW identity politics, and she is a fan of Star Trek. Discovery is done, because what sort of stories can they tell for a 900 year old starship in the future? They will be like a ship and crew from the time of Columbus suddenly appearing off the coast of Florida. They could perhaps destroy Discovery and get the folks of the future to build them a newer ship and call it Discovery. But why would they do that? Wouldn't they put them in a zoo or on display as living relics from the past?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
If I read Shari Redstone right, she will make life hell for Kurtzman's vision for Star Trek. She is not a feminist, she is not on the side of SJW identity politics, and she is a fan of Star Trek. Discovery is done, because what sort of stories can they tell for a 900 year old starship in the future? They will be like a ship and crew from the time of Columbus suddenly appearing off the coast of Florida. They could perhaps destroy Discovery and get the folks of the future to build them a newer ship and call it Discovery. But why would they do that? Wouldn't they put them in a zoo or on display as living relics from the past?

like i said, they're making art. silly details do not matter

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
yeah idk and really don't care as long as anything made is in the mold of discovery :(

this picard thing sounds like a real snore fest

Is that a typo? Didn't you mean to say as long as anything made ISN"T made in the mold of Discovery?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
no,

i have no interest in anything trek that is made in the same manner and style/tone as STD
Yeah, TBH Kurtzman and all of the people he has hired to work on his Trek are clueless when it comes to Star Trek and to science fiction in general. They are all sourced in fantasy. This includes the new showrunners they have chosen to run Season 3 of Discovery and also the new showrunner of Picard. These people seem to think that Star Trek was abandoned by fans and that they can just about make whatever they want and slap a big old Star Trek sticker on it and that makes it Star Trek. What they need are writers who are already huge Star Trek fans. They could have had Seth McFarlane doing Star Trek instead of being forced to create The Orville which is now the direct rival to Star Trek and is doing far better with fans, viewership and with Star Trek fans.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
They are all sourced in fantasy.

maybe a good sign for Kurtzman's involvement in Anne Rice's new VAMPIRE CHRONICLES series :)

i wish these show runners would find what they are good at it and stick with it. making a fantasy show and a sci fi show are worlds apart, imo

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Star Trek: Prodigy and Star Trek: Section 31

Many of these NuTrek fans seem to be clueless to the fact that Captain Pike has a canon history already, and that it ends with him living on Talos IV with Vena in an illusion which makes him forget he is a mute in a wheelchair. Also, they are acting like Star Trek is new and that they can just do what they want with it. They actually can do that, but they should not expect the fanbase to follow. They haven't followed the kelvin films or Discovery.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Many of these NuTrek fans seem to be clueless to the fact that Captain Pike has a canon history already, and that it ends with him living on Talos IV with Vena in an illusion which makes him forget he is a mute in a wheelchair. Also, they are acting like Star Trek is new and that they can just do what they want with it. They actually can do that, but they should not expect the fanbase to follow. They haven't followed the kelvin films or Discovery.

i saw an ep review on YT about the ep where Pike saw some alien and had his future revealed to him, including the wheelcair, 3 lights to respond thing

if they could somehow extricate this same Pike from the rest of DISCOVERY --like going onto the DISCOVERY itself somehow is a whole sep. reality in ad of itself. like beaming to it beams you to a diff universe that you forget about after leaving :)--and do a show that covers the time between "now" and his accident in a prime setting, that may be ok

They could have him waking up where his time on DISCOVERY was all a bad dream <which by all accounts it was>

ps--was there even a reason given, in show, why the uniforms of discovery crew were so diff from everyone else's? i know even in TOS there were some slight variations in uniforms between ships, but discovery was very diff

-------------------------------------------------------
i am just wondering now, how many other old shows/movies are going to be turned into a tv series and then undergo a Hollywood mitosis to spawn all these other shows (yes, like DISNEY is doing with SW's and now CBS / ? is doing with Trek) to make a large dysfunctional family of shows?

and so much of it is just to build up content for new streaming services

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i saw an ep review on YT about the ep where Pike saw some alien and had his future revealed to him, including the wheelcair, 3 lights to respond thing

if they could somehow extricate this same Pike from the rest of DISCOVERY --like going onto the DISCOVERY itself somehow is a whole sep. reality in ad of itself. like beaming to it beams you to a diff universe that you forget about after leaving :)--and do a show that covers the time between "now" and his accident in a prime setting, that may be ok

They could have him waking up where his time on DISCOVERY was all a bad dream <which by all accounts it was>

ps--was there even a reason given, in show, why the uniforms of discovery crew were so diff from everyone else's? i know even in TOS there were some slight variations in uniforms between ships, but discovery was very diff

-------------------------------------------------------
i am just wondering now, how many other old shows/movies are going to be turned into a tv series and then undergo a Hollywood mitosis to spawn all these other shows (yes, like DISNEY is doing with SW's and now CBS / ? is doing with Trek) to make a large dysfunctional family of shows?

and so much of it is just to build up content for new streaming services

I did like Anson Mount as Pike. But the stuff STD added to his history like that alien, his captaining of Discovery, him keeping the secret of Discovery going into the future, etc etc. None of that worked at all because it's just ridiculous. Clueless, sloppy writing from a hack team with seemingly no working knowledge of Star Trek canon. Spock is allegedly keeping it secret as well? Also the entire crew of the Enterprise? It was a desperate attempt to stitch the fake STD events into actual Star Trek canon, and Alex Kurtzman thought that would be cool. :facepalm:. Needless to say, not many Star Trek fans let that slide. Discovery just isn't acceptable Star Trek. Everything is wrong with it.

This new Picard show could bring some Star Trek viewers back if it is done correctly, but it better be worth subscribing to CBS All Access. I will watch it on Amazon Prime if it is offered with the service for free. I am on the fence about the show at the moment, but I no longer automatically think it will suck only because Kurtzman is not involved in it. But the hype surrounding it is pathetic and sleazy. CBS literally slapped the Chateau Picard Bordeaux label on some cheap red wine and will be selling it in bottles complete with the Star Trek chevron on it:

https://trekmovie.com/2019/07/30/ne...-announced-including-chateau-picard-bordeaux/

The Star Trek Store (yes there is such a thing), has t-shirts and wine glasses and coffee mugs all splashed with Picard's name and Star Trek chevrons. All this and nobody has seen the show yet? If the show sucks or served to destroy his legacy with dumb dialogue or mandatory "remembering" events taking place in the Kelvin or Discovery realms, Star Trek fans will immediately drop the show. For instance, if Data is reactivated, and he somehow "recalls" the secret events of Discovery going into the future. Or if Picard makes some offhand remark about how he read about a Captain Lorca or referred to having classified knowledge of the spore drive, etc. You get the idea. If they do that the show will be rejected by longtime fans.

Picard.PNG

The last part of your comment is the real meat of the issue though. YES, studios are desperately trying to expand their offerings into the streaming/paid service model, and they need content to do it. Since the creative well appears to be dry in Hollywood, they are reheating up old shows, trying to repackage them as bait to subscribe to revenue streams. They really have nowhere to go after they have dusted off their old stuff that can still be aired. Much of the classic movies and shows we watched as younger adults would not be acceptable today to the general public. TOS Kirk looks like a misogynist, a skirt chasing toxic male who likes to fight (according to SJWs). Can they ever really talk about Punch and Judy or Jackie Gleason and the Honeymooners, or even Married With Children without causing a viral hashtag?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Spock is allegedly keeping it secret as well?

what was the tos episode, menagerie? where kirk and spock brought a paralyzed Pike back to Talos IV?

Spock faced a court martial as to his reasons for doing this ..

but wasn't that all illusion from the Talosians?

so now, the ST'D team made a backstory for an illusion? i might have thatTOS stuff a little messed up, but I think it gets to the point

like giving a backstory to unicorns; giving a backstory to a illogical Spock who was acting under an illusion

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I will watch it on Amazon Prime if it is offered with the service for free.

nope! for us schmucks in the US CBS ALL crapfest is a prime add on

$5.99/mo for a membership through CBS and you get ads

$5.99/mo through prime with limited ads

for me, if i got it, it would be a matter of centralizing and convenience

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Can they ever really talk about Punch and Judy or Jackie Gleason and the Honeymooners, or even Married With Children without causing a viral hashtag?

of course not. but someday it will circle around and the SJW's of today will be criticized and made fun off (full on) by some younger generation

their kids will probably hate them and bounce back to a conservative style in everything just to spite their parents

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
of course not. but someday it will circle around and the SJW's of today will be criticized and made fun off (full on) by some younger generation

their kids will probably hate them and bounce back to a conservative style in everything just to spite their parents

It's already happening. :) The generation after the Millennials (Gen Z) is already more conservative than the Millennial generation. They have the "change the world" mentality of their parents, but they reject the two-party system and just gather planks from all of the parties.