Kong vs Godzilla

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Just wanted to post some initial thoughts after watching this film (which contrary to some expectations is a monster boxoffice hit - just on overseas so far it apparently is in the black after less than a week).

1) SFX and cinematography are REALLY improved - they stepped the game up here big time. Shot angles are better, the use of cutaways is almost completely gone and the action is easy to see and follow. Even the night action has bright neon lighting behind it which fixes the dark, monochrome issues the prior two films experienced. Kong and Godzilla both look great - they don't look fake at all and the movements are fluid and natural.

The monster fight scenes are also outstanding. They have a power to them that makes them exciting to watch and also a sort of animalistic brutality. To be honest, all of the cinematography reminds me of the first Pacific Rim movie (the good one).

2) The story IS thin and alas there are way too many human characters. Fortunately they don't have lots of screen time so it is possible to pretty much ignore them. Be aware - there is a teenaged Scooby gang in this and they ARE annoying, especially because they really serve no purpose. The little girl Jia, however, is good in this and she serves a good plot purpose.

3) In a weird way this is more a Kong movie than a Godzilla movie. Godzilla IS there and his presence is felt all the time but the narrative focus is Kong. It is a bit weird.

More as I get my thoughts sorted. I will say it was entertaining.

Last edited:

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
My first thought was Jason versus Freddy. So much effort to bring us something familiar rather than bring us something new.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually the only prior time this ever happened was in the 1962 King Kong vs Godzilla; and that was played at least partly for laughs. It's a rights thing - Toho owns Godzilla and King Kong is owned by Universal (sort of). However, Legendary Films negotiated rights to Godzilla for a series of films (which is not done yet) and King Kong for Skull Island and this film. In 1962 it was Toho negotiating a one picture rights deal with then owner RKO.

So, this is something rather new. Aside from having Godzilla and Kong in it this is a completely different film - not a remake in any way.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well 6 days released and 285 million in box-office. And this is WITH theaters in the US at partial capacity and also with it being simultaneously streamed on HBO Max. This is big hit territory.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And as of today (I think this is 11 days in) at 354 million box-office. Again WITH US theaters at partial capacity and while also streaming on HBO Max. The interesting part is per Warner Brothers and some of the "trackers" HBO Max saw its membership skyrocket at the same time with huge numbers of views of Godzilla v Kong.

In a related development Warner Bros announced that next year they will be going back to films opening exclusively in theaters, with the movies appearing on streaming 45 days after opening. I have to think the big infusion of revenue from Godzilla v Kong has highlighted the big strength of theaters - they generate revenue that streaming just does not directly generate.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
I absolutely LOVED this movie. This was probably the most kaiju of the new kaiju movies that have been made so far IMO. There was plenty of light, we got the kaiju fighting and the massive destruction that is the hallmark of Godzilla movies, we have even a bit of character building for Kong and Godzilla as well as a new foundation idea for hollow earth, it was awesome! It sets a benchmark.

The bad...

Millie Bobby Brown's side story. We just did not need that. We did not need the other human threads in the movie. I would have greatly expanded Serizawa's role, and the little girl and her guardian were ok. Overall, those things are very minor and did not reduce my enjoyment of the movie. BRAVO!

Five Stars Good Job GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Really the only human character you even needed here was Jia, because she is our communicator with Kong. As I noted upstream WAY too many human characters. This is something they need to learn from Toho - they may have a large cast but the number of characters with any focus or agency in the story is kept small.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
Really the only human character you even needed here was Jia, because she is our communicator with Kong. As I noted upstream WAY too many human characters. This is something they need to learn from Toho - they may have a large cast but the number of characters with any focus or agency in the story is kept small.
Jia was really well written. She was genuine and it felt like her relationship with Kong was natural and loving. I admire the little actress for making me believe she was actually talking to a giant Gorilla! But her caretaker was overdone and too helicopter-parent for me. They wasted young Serizawa. Why ruin his character? He is more connected with the lore than anyone in any of the Godzilla/Gojira kaiju movies. Still, with those minor annoyances, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually I thought just now about Shin Godzilla. It also had a lot of human characters but they only had you really follow 2 - everyone else was in the background and there to operate the plot (soldiers, bureaucrats, scientists et al). And by doing that it kept the plot focused and moving. I know you felt the characters were stodgy (I did too but it fit with their points about Japanese political culture) but they did handle their human story better.

But, to be honest, I ignored the humans except for Jia and the Kaiju part was nicely done.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And it hits $400 million worldwide. Based on theater capacities If it had opened in a normal environment it would be setting its sights on dethroning Avengers Endgame.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
May we NEVER see Guilala again!