Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Having finally seen this, I wanted to give some thoughts.

The SFX are mostly up to the usual Apes standard with regard to the apes - the motion capture is still pretty flawless. Some of the other uses of CGI did look kinda fake though - like the bridge.

Acting was decent mostly. No one was outright bad but unlike the apes trilogy where Andy Serkis stood out this had no such standout - everyone was just solid.

The story I am a little iffy on. I like them picking up 300 years after Caesar and the basic plot about Noa's clan being enslaved by other apes then Noa works to free them worked pretty well. I felt, however, that the ending was a bit off...

The end where Mae turns over advanced tech to other humans who wear environment suits to go outside was weird. Also weird was the purpose of using satellites to connect them to other posts. I think I would have preferred a reveal at the end that Mae comes from a colony of humans who have developed immunity to the virus and that more humans are showing signs of developing immunity. That way the setup would be for in effect a reverse of the scenario at the end of Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

I guess overall it was a likable film but compared to the earlier three this felt a bit tame.

Last edited: