Just happen to notice this-

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
On sgpoo the nymphomanic scientist is named Lisa Park and she looks asian to me. On ST:ENT the asian linguist (Hoshi) is played by an actress named Linda Park...coincidence? maybe I am being overly critical but tptw have absolutely NO IMAGINATION!!!!!!!

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
On sgpoo the nymphomanic scientist is named Lisa Park and she looks asian to me. On ST:ENT the asian linguist (Hoshi) is played by an actress named Linda Park...coincidence? maybe I am being overly critical but tptw have absolutely NO IMAGINATION!!!!!!!
yes you are. and everyone knows naming things is an art and if they happen to sound similar its a minor oversight. you try coming up with a name that hasnt been used somewhere before.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
yes you are. and everyone knows naming things is an art and if they happen to sound similar its a minor oversight. you try coming up with a name that hasnt been used somewhere before.

Wellll......I have noticed that as well. But I think that the casting for those parts is definitely something that was a factor. We have Park, Ming Na, and there were at least three other Asian women seen playing roles in SGU but no black females and only one blonde. In real life there VERY VERY FEW Asian females in the military or in government positions in the US. We have seen that they have attempted to create a Roslyn, an Adama (Louis Ferreria), and this last episode was channeled out of countless Voyager and Trek episodes with the panels exploding and shields failing and all...so I think there is something to this too. But perhaps Im overly critical too! :)

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Wellll......I have noticed that as well. But I think that the casting for those parts is definitely something that was a factor. We have Park, Ming Na, and there were at least three other Asian women seen playing roles in SGU but no black females and only one blonde. In real life there VERY VERY FEW Asian females in the military or in government positions in the US. We have seen that they have attempted to create a Roslyn, an Adama (Louis Ferreria), and this last episode was channeled out of countless Voyager and Trek episodes with the panels exploding and shields failing and all...so I think there is something to this too. But perhaps Im overly critical too! :)

im not defending SGU bud or the franchise part of SG at all as its filled with "cheese" and predictable situations such as the ones you have described and so is most sci fi, i personally havnt seen anything truly original or "smart" in any scifi sure there has been the occasional brow raiser such as The Matrix which had parts that were sort of original but it still was a copy of something else.

entertainment nowdays is just regurgitating old ideas sometimes mixing in a pinch of originality but nothing really and truly original and mind altering, its a shame really.

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
You sure we haven't seen a black woman? I thought one of the women in TJ's vision in the S2 premiere was black (light skinned, possibly Latino though, and the stupid filters they put on the footage in post don't help), but it's been a while since I've seen the episode.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
You sure we haven't seen a black woman? I thought one of the women in TJ's vision in the S2 premiere was black (light skinned, possibly Latino though, and the stupid filters they put on the footage in post don't help), but it's been a while since I've seen the episode.

I thought there was a black woman that helped TJ in the clinic/hospital/emergency room/surgery unit? I'd have to rewatch a few eps to be sure, but I'm not willing to do that for obvious reasons. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
There was.

I thought there was a black woman that helped TJ in the clinic/hospital/emergency room/surgery unit? I'd have to rewatch a few eps to be sure, but I'm not willing to do that for obvious reasons. ;)

There was. But only ONCE. Where do they hide these people during the show? Its like nobody else is on that ship except the regular cast. Are they just kept in stasis or locked away in the ship's dungeon? If they were all on Icarus, then they certainly werent tourists!

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
There was. But only ONCE. Where do they hide these people during the show? Its like nobody else is on that ship except the regular cast. Are they just kept in stasis or locked away in the ship's dungeon? If they were all on Icarus, then they certainly werent tourists!
I have no idea. I guess the idea was to convey how big the ship was by having the crew be out of sight a lot, but that just raises the issue of what are those people doing when they've only secured a small portion of the ship, which would make it more likely for them to all be bumping into each other.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Wellll......I have noticed that as well. But I think that the casting for those parts is definitely something that was a factor. We have Park, Ming Na, and there were at least three other Asian women seen playing roles in SGU but no black females and only one blonde. In real life there VERY VERY FEW Asian females in the military or in government positions in the US.

You should remember the fact that a lot of people of asian descent live in the Vancouver area and since they cast their extras and minor characters there it is to be expected that there would be an abundance of asian-canadians among them.