Joel Goldsmith has passed away

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
The Stargate franchise has lost an important voice.
Joel Goldsmith, composer of all three Stargate television series (334 episodes) and two DVD movies, passed away on April 29. He was 54.
“I’m utterly heartbroken at the loss of my dear friend and mentor Joel Goldsmith,” said fellow composer and frequent Stargate collaborator Neal Acree. “He was like a second father to me and I feel like I owe much of my career to the opportunities he gave me including my first feature film and first experience scoring television. His influence on my life, both personally and musically, will stay with me always.”
Joel was the son of famed composer Jerry Goldsmith, who passed away in 2004. The two collaborated to create the score for Star Trek: First Contact in 1996.
In 1997 Joel adapted David Arnold’s Stargate theme from the original feature film into the opening title sequence for Stargate SG-1. The composer also created the Emmy-nominated theme to Stargate Atlantis. He was nominated for two other Emmy Awards, including his music for the SG-1 Season One episode “The Nox” and the Atlantis Season Two episode “Grace Under Pressure.”
The cause of death has not been released.
GateWorld interviewed Goldsmith twice for his work for Stargate, during which he shared samples of some select moments from SG-1 and Atlantis. (Links to the interviews can be found below.)
The next episode of the GateWorld Podcast will include a special tribute to Goldsmith. Please call the hotline at 951-262-1647 to share your memories on air, and David and Diana will review them for inclusion into the show.
Visit GateWorld’s Twitter feed today to find sentiments from fans, cast, and crew remembering the life and art of Joel Goldsmith.
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2012/04/stargate-composer-joel-goldsmith-dead-at-54/

RIP. :(

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
:(

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
dont really care.

You burned calories and fired up some neurons when you clicked on the thread, read part of the posted excerpt from the article, hit "Post Quick Reply" and typed your response. Relatively speaking, that's a whole lot of effort at the metabolic level for something you don't care about. :icon_lol:

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
You burned calories and fired up some neurons when you clicked on the thread, read part of the posted excerpt from the article, hit "Post Quick Reply" and typed your response. Relatively speaking, that's a whole lot of effort at the metabolic level for something you don't care about. :icon_lol:
gotta get the excercise in somehow you feel me dog? ;)

OMNI

Bit mean.

Sad to hear this though, the music in Stargate was always great. That Atlantis theme was probably a highlight.
"bit mean"???

DUDE! F you! i dont even F'n know the guy why should i give a shit?

piss off back to la-la land please and dont return until you have some understading about the REAL world.

FYI: if you Died i wouldnt give a shit either. :facepalm:

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
"bit mean"???

DUDE! F you! i dont even F'n know the guy why should i give a $#@!?

piss off back to la-la land please and dont return until you have some understading about the REAL world.

FYI: if you Died i wouldnt give a $#@! either. :facepalm:

Which is a bit mean. I mean fair enough if you have no feelings, but then surely there is no need to post. Either way I think further comments should be taken to Flame Hell as it's a bit unfair to sidetrack a thread like this.

Back on topic; the Asguard music was awesome; that theme totally made the scene where O'Neill first meets them in the flesh.

OMNI

Which is a bit mean. I mean fair enough if you have no feelings, but then surely there is no need to post. Either way I think further comments should be taken to Flame Hell as it's a bit unfair to sidetrack a thread like this.

Back on topic; the Asguard music was awesome; that theme totally made the scene where O'Neill first meets them in the flesh.
freedom of speach, freedom of expression.

youll never get tired of playing the "if you dont like it dont watch it" card will you?

and thankfully i dont give a flying F about what you think.

also its ASGARD not as"guard"...

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
GateWorld can suck a bag of unwashed dicks. That said, it makes one wonder why this guy died at 54? Not unheard of but still it's the first question that comes to mind. As for his musical talents, he was okay, I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not a freak about the scores he wrote, but I certainly didn't hate them.

Now, compare this guy to that A-hole Bear McCreary who does the scores for tons of shows. He's the twatwaffle who put all that needless and annoying Irish/Scottish bagpipe music in Battlestar Galactica, as if it was deep and meaningful. :roll: Yeah, once is fine but to do it endlessly like it freakin' means something was just moronic.

Bluce Ree

Yoshi, in all fairness, the thread wasn't sidetracked or derailed by his comment. It says a dude died and OMNI simply posted that he doesn't give a damn and that's perfectly fine. Not everyone needs to give a warm, kindhearted eulogy to be on topic.

Bluce Ree

Bit mean.

Sad to hear this though, the music in Stargate was always great. That Atlantis theme was probably a highlight.

"bit mean"???

DUDE! F you! i dont even F'n know the guy why should i give a shit?

FYI: if you Died i wouldnt give a shit either. :facepalm:

So, what you're saying is that, if Yoshi died, you'd stop going to the bathroom? You'd constipate yourself in his honor?

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
GateWorld can suck a bag of unwashed dicks. That said, it makes one wonder why this guy died at 54? Not unheard of but still it's the first question that comes to mind. As for his musical talents, he was okay, I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not a freak about the scores he wrote, but I certainly didn't hate them.

Wiki says cancer (not the most trustworthy of sites, I know). And as for his musical talents, I agree completely. He had some pretty good scores that stood out here and there, but mostly it was pretty average and okay work.

Now, compare this guy to that A-hole Bear McCreary who does the scores for tons of shows. He's the twatwaffle who put all that needless and annoying Irish/Scottish bagpipe music in Battlestar Galactica, as if it was deep and meaningful. :roll: Yeah, once is fine but to do it endlessly like it freakin' means something was just moronic.

I only really noticed bagpipe music in the first season of BSG (IIRC, the episode where they attack the cylon asteroid base), and over the course of the series the only real constant I felt was there was the use of precussions. I don't even think there was that much, if any, bagpipe/irish/scottish influenced music after season 1 (except for the Adama theme). Mostly I think he tended to use more oriental themes (which is especially prominent in the season 4 score).

G

Graybrew1

I am sure when my Dad and Nana died last year most did not care either. We all lose somebody close to us at some time or another. I think the bigger picture is supporting fellow human beings in their time of need. Sooner or later we will all be there. It is much nicer to have people around you to support you at that time than to think that most just plain "don't care". :(

Bluce Ree

I am sure when my Dad and Nana died last year most did not care either. We all lose somebody close to us at some time or another. I think the bigger picture is supporting fellow human beings in their time of need. Sooner or later we will all be there. It is much nicer to have people around you to support you at that time than to think that most just plain "don't care". :(

But most don't care. When I die, I'm sure there will be 6+ billion people on this planet who won't even know it or care if they did. All that matters are the ones close to us and, frankly, I won't care about that, either, when I'm dead because ... well .. I'll be DEAD. :icon_lol:

G

Graybrew1

But most don't care. When I die, I'm sure there will be 6+ billion people on this planet who won't even know it or care if they did. All that matters are the ones close to us and, frankly, I won't care about that, either, when I'm dead because ... well .. I'll be DEAD. :icon_lol:

That was not the point.

The point is that the reason why we mourn the dead that we do not know it to support their living loved ones. We all know we will be one of those left behind loved ones someday and the dead, while when we are dead we won't care....as a mourning loved one ... we might.

Bluce Ree

That was not the point.

The point is that the reason why we mourn the dead that we do not know it to support their living loved ones. We all know we will be one of those left behind loved ones someday and the dead, while when we are dead we won't care....as a mourning loved one ... we might.

Their "living loved ones" don't know us from a hole in the wall. Hence, our "support" is pointless to them if they don't know about it. :)

G

Graybrew1

Their "living loved ones" don't know us from a hole in the wall. Hence, our "support" is pointless to them if they don't know about it. :)
Speaking as one from last year. I did.
I cared that people cared.

It was good to think that people cared. I helped me. Most people do care, btw. Not specifically but enough to take a second and say "deepest regrets". Why is this common courtesy lost on so many these days that used to be a part of our culture? This is a sad thing about society today.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I remember the terribly clichéd use of bagpipes in Carson Beckett’s funeral scene. I always wondered where the Air Force found a bagpipe player with security clearance for travel to Atlantis. :rolleyes:

RIP Joel.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Dude, when you "buy the farm" the turn out for your funeral will put Eva Peron to shame. The streets will be clogged with wailing mourners. Nubile teenage virgins (and some middle-aged Dutch males) will attempt to fling themselves onto your casket as the horse-drawn wagon carries your noble remains to a resting place in Valhalla cemetery. Corpulent politicians will give moving (and endless) speeches in your honor and the President will declare it a national day of mourning. Flags around the world will be flown at half-mast and scientists will discover that the Earth actually stops rotating for one full minute, presumably in your honor.

At least that's the plan. Here's a sample of how it will look: ;)

eva-peron-funeral-eva-peron-evita-18017844-394-561.jpg funeral81.jpg