Jitter Cam: Artistic or Ugly?

Artistic or Ugly?

• Artistic

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Ugly

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Somewhere in between. (List some hit and miss examples? Other than Stargate or Cloverfield, please.)

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters

deco

GateFans Noob
not only the shaky cam but also the dark theme that is poor, srsly do they pay the bills of electricity?

S

Stonelesscutter

Yep let's keep everything dark and shaky.
Perhaps no one will notice how bad the scripts and the acting really are.

S

Stonelesscutter

Hehehehehehehe LOL
Are they changing the aspect ratio as well or do you have your tv on it's side? ;)

Will

GateFans Noob
Hehehehehehehe LOL
Are they changing the aspect ratio as well or do you have your tv on it's side? ;)

If they did change the aspect ratio then it wouldn't be the show that had the problem, you can be sure the fans just all bought the wrong kind of TV.

S

Stonelesscutter

If they did change the aspect ratio then it wouldn't be the show that had the problem, you can be sure the fans just all bought the wrong kind of TV.

Hahahahahahah LMAO
Them fans can be so dumb.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Most of you 'younguns' wouldn't remember "Hill Street Blues," but it was one of the first series to employ the not-so-centered, sometimes-shakey camera technique and was critically applauded for the edge it gave the show. But, like salt in the stew, it was used sparingly and applied where it drew the greatest effect. Maybe whoever is in charge of Jitter Cam should go have a peak at how the pros did it.. ;)
I'm old enough to remember hill street blues. ;) you are right, TPTB definitely have over salted this stew! :P

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
Shit, i'm hte only one who actually likes it :P

See i loved it in BSG. Especially during an action scene or tense political scene. In the briefings it wasn't shaking so it wasn't noticable, and when Head Six came out the camera suddenly went smooth and sleek :D

Used properly, it's fantastic. Used like SGU uses it, and you feel like you're going to throw up your dignity :P

Loheat

GateFans Cadet
The main problem is when making a big-budget movie and trying to make it look more "real," they are intentionally trying to make it look worse. When someone makes a documentary they are trying to do the best with what limited equipment they have.
I think district 9 did it well because there were parts that were obviously parts of a documentary, but the other parts flowed well, and nothing made it look like they were waving the camera around for the fuck of it.

SGU has numerous scenes where I scratch my head and say why is this scene being shot in this way. One scene that sticks out is of a conversation between Young and Greer, where they are both in a dark hallway and the camera is set on the other side of the room.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Shit, i'm hte only one who actually likes it :P

See i loved it in BSG. Especially during an action scene or tense political scene. In the briefings it wasn't shaking so it wasn't noticable, and when Head Six came out the camera suddenly went smooth and sleek :D

Used properly, it's fantastic. Used like SGU uses it, and you feel like you're going to throw up your dignity :P

you have dignity?:P:P I agree that sometimes BSG knew how to use it...other times it was over-used even there. i think the problem is you get some of these "geniuses" saying "oh if a little shakey cam is good a lot must be better" and they are too stupid to realize they have screwed up royaly. Sabella's salt comment was perfect...ever made something with too much salt? ewwwwwwwwwwwww!

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
you have dignity?:P:P I agree that sometimes BSG knew how to use it...other times it was over-used even there. i think the problem is you get some of these "geniuses" saying "oh if a little shakey cam is good a lot must be better" and they are too stupid to realize they have screwed up royaly. Sabella's salt comment was perfect...ever made something with too much salt? ewwwwwwwwwwwww!
I'm just a BSG fanboy :P Ignore the majority of the third and first part of the fourth season :P In my mind the fleet is still out there, possibly getting to the point where exploration is key given they need to survive... :p

There were problems, but any show has problems. BSG's were limited in comparison to SGU :P

Red Mage

Boney
If it's done well, the shaky camera is a fine addition to cinematography. However, there's a reason tripods were invented. Camera movement has to be purposeful and controlled, not random and wild. In practice 90% of the time shaky cam the technique is employed, it looks like the camera man is severely drunk or suffering from Parkinson disease and no one can tell a damn thing that's going on.

Insomnium

GateFans Cadet
Sorry for the slow response

To me it depends. I believe Lost used it quite frequently and it was used well since not many people have used that as a complaint against the series (I think). A lot of the time when your enjoying what your watching you barely notice it.

I see what you're saying here, and I don't think that's the case with me.

I tried to watch the pilot of that series and had similar problems. And it also kept me from getting into Battlestar Galactica as well. As for some of the other examples given here, never saw most of them because I wasn't interested, didn't have the time, or both.

P.S. I really hated it in the Star Trek: Nemesis "Dune Buggy" scene, BTW

Pariah

GateFans Noob
I just don't think it works for this. If it's supposed to be used for the Kinos, they'd be shaking more but they move smoothly so no need for a shaky cam there. Same for the cameras, nobody's wildly moving (most of the time) to require it's use.