Jeremiah - A different Post-Apocalyptic Show

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
With the recent upsurge in “post-apocalyptic” TV shows and especially in light of the glaring flaws in the current crop of said shows (Revolution, The Walking Dead), I did a sort of discontented look through the collection on Amazon Prime streaming video and discovered a gem. It is a show named “Jeremiah” and in my opinion it is the closest I have yet seen to this genre done right.

Jeremiah is the name of a post-apocalyptic themed TV series that ran on Showtime from 2004. It was created from the Herman Huppen comic by J Michael Straczynski of Babylon 5 fame , and had an ensemble case of whom the main players were Luke Perry and Malcolm Jamal Warner. The setting is 15 years after a global pandemic killed off virtually all people who were in/past puberty. This concept of a disease killing off all the adults and the children fending for themselves has been seen before (for example there was an episode of Star Trek TOS that had such a planet) but this is the most extended treatment of it.

Structurally, this is a semi-serialized show. In other words, while the episodes are somewhat standalone they also all feed into overarching plotlines. Also, like Babylon 5, it followed a plan for the whole show. Straczynski wrapped it up after two seasons because he had finished telling the story he wanted to tell (Showtime tried to get him to reconsider but no dice).

So, why do I feel it is the closest to being done right?

First, its picture of the world is consistent. We see a fragmented society of small settlements living in the remains of the old world. Those who were older kids at the time of the pandemic (called the Big Death) tend to be leaders as (for example) they knew how to read before all the adults died. There are some patches here and there where some technology has started to resurface but generally things are at a roughly “old west” level.

Second, the characters have logical and understandable motivations and are consistent over time. There is a bit of shipping going on but again its logical shipping in the context of the plot. One can actually identify with these characters and they are well played. Some of the actors/actresses we see today got their start in Jeremiah, including Joanne Kelly (who has a GREAT turn in this show).

Third, I really like that the overarching theme of the show is about rebuilding. Instead of the usual way the genre is approached where all we see is people getting beat down and sinking lower and lower, here we see people struggle to start the road back to civilization. As such, the characters all feel like they are part of a bigger story. This feel is to me what shows like The Walking Dead lack. This was also why Babylon 5 (for example) could have some “soap” elements without being soap-fi; those elements existed to serve the larger story.

All in all, I found Jeremiah to be interesting in the overarching story, the themes it explored, the characters it presented and also its tone – it managed to have pretty dark places and moments without making the whole show dark. Well done.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i liked this one a lot as well. i first saw it on those all day marathons (of actual shows) that syfy used to run. then i watched it all on NETFLIX (its not there any longer.. J. Michael Straczynski stuff (this show, B5) has all been taken down, i read on line that he requested this but not sure).

The only thing I didn't like is how the2nd season gets a bit 'rushed' but i think they still pulled it off

Notice how (i forget his name) the office of the "thunder mtn head man" is remarkably similar to the conference room above the 'gate room' in SG1? Since they were both originally Showtime shows, ioften wondered if they shared sets --since both were based in the "same mountain"

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
If you get a VPN like http://hidemyass.com you can tunnel into Canada and watch all the Netflix content that was yanked from the US. If you tunnel into the UK, you can watch season 5 of Breaking Bad.

Your Netflix account can be used anywhere in the world. They filter content based on geolocation. A regular proxy won't work because Flash/Silverlight will apply geolocation on the stream since they bypass browser settings and stream directly. A VPN forces all Internet traffic system-wide through its tunnel.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
If you get a VPN like http://hidemyass.com you can tunnel into Canada and watch all the Netflix content that was yanked from the US. If you tunnel into the UK, you can watch season 5 of Breaking Bad.

Your Netflix account can be used anywhere in the world. They filter content based on geolocation. A regular proxy won't work because Flash/Silverlight will apply geolocation on the stream since they bypass browser settings and stream directly. A VPN forces all Internet traffic system-wide through its tunnel.
i just went to the site and used their google search bar; got to netflix and it told me i need to 'enable cookies', will that undo 'hidemyass'?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
i just went to the site and used their google search bar; got to netflix and it told me i need to 'enable cookies', will that undo 'hidemyass'?

Nope. When your VPN is engaged, everything going out to and coming in from the Internet goes through the VPN tunnel and you will appear to be at the VPN's location.

A proxy won't work. You're using their free proxy for searches but media streams don't go through the proxy. You need to subscribe to their VPN service.

http://hidemyass.com/vpn/

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
i liked this one a lot as well. i first saw it on those all day marathons (of actual shows) that syfy used to run. then i watched it all on NETFLIX (its not there any longer.. J. Michael Straczynski stuff (this show, B5) has all been taken down, i read on line that he requested this but not sure).

The only thing I didn't like is how the2nd season gets a bit 'rushed' but i think they still pulled it off

Notice how (i forget his name) the office of the "thunder mtn head man" is remarkably similar to the conference room above the 'gate room' in SG1? Since they were both originally Showtime shows, ioften wondered if they shared sets --since both were based in the "same mountain"

It's quite possible. Marcus office did resemble the conference room but they did a pretty good job of making it look like it had gone 15 years without equipment replacement.

Season Two did have a quicker pace, but I also understand Straczynski's decision that once the Army of Daniel story was finished it was time to leave it off.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i guess the thing that bothered me just a bit in season 2, was the final battles. Earlier we see that Daniel and Marcus are both in control of a large amount of military hardware-then in the last ep, the last battle is not much more then a bunch of ppl in a field with m16's-it was kind of disappointing. But I realized as well that the "pew pew" was not the point.

So what do you think actually happened to that wandering cult (the one led by the same actor who played Gaeta in BSG)? To me that seemed like the only 'paranormal' part of the show.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The wandering cult may still be wandering. Just like the storytellers we were introduced to early in Season 2 (which was a REALLY nice touch) will have added Thunder Mountain and the Army of Daniel to the history of things since the Big Death they are passing on by word of mouth.

As to the battle, remember that the big payoff was that there was no battle ultimately. Once the Army discovered Daniel's secret they lost motivation to fight for him. Marcus actually won the war in the realm of psychology instead of force of arms.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The wandering cult may still be wandering. Just like the storytellers we were introduced to early in Season 2 (which was a REALLY nice touch) will have added Thunder Mountain and the Army of Daniel to the history of things since the Big Death they are passing on by word of mouth.

As to the battle, remember that the big payoff was that there was no battle ultimately. Once the Army discovered Daniel's secret they lost motivation to fight for him. Marcus actually won the war in the realm of psychology instead of force of arms.

right, but don't you think "daniel" would have brought all of his toys for the "big show (conquest of thunder mtn)?"

but remember, the wandering cult left all of their stuff on the beach didn't they?

I really did like the show, this is one that I had hoped would have gone on a bit longer. When I was re-watching it i had read that Luke Perry was trying to acquire the rights to go on but that J.M. Strac wouldn't sell.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well we know they brought jamming equipment and also anti-aircraft missiles. I suspect they just didn't show all the rest. Also, remember that due to events in an earlier episode Daniel moved against Thunder Mountain before they originally had intended to. As part of that Sims whole strategy was based on feints and surprise. His strategy went out the window when Smith was able to tell Kurdy where the attack was coming from and also when Lee Chen identified and eliminated the Fifth Column inside Thunder Mountain.

I also really liked the show. It would have been nice had it been longer but on another level I can understand Straczynski's decision. He had basically wrapped up the story of the reformation of a relatively unified North America and also basically resolved the main personal storylines.