J. Michael Straczynski's Star Trek Reboot

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
http://bztv.typepad.com/newsviews/files/ST2004Reboot.pdf

I came across this at another forum, read it and... wow. There's a lot of interesting ideas in there which I think would've been fun to see play out. Though obviously Paramount never let this go into production, which really is a shame. It could've been really good, maybe even better than what J.J. Abrams did with the franchise (though I still like his take on the story).

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

I came across this at another forum, read it and... wow. There's a lot of interesting ideas in there which I think would've been fun to see play. Though obviously Paramount never let this go into production, which really is shame. It could've been really good, maybe even better than what J.J. Abrams did with the franchise (though I still like his take on the story).

I hear ya. Given that Apple wasn't then what it is today, we would probably have avoided a ship themed around beer & Mac stores.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear

I came across this at another forum, read it and... wow. There's a lot of interesting ideas in there which I think would've been fun to see play out. Though obviously Paramount never let this go into production, which really is a shame. It could've been really good, maybe even better than what J.J. Abrams did with the franchise (though I still like his take on the story).

That was a good read. I was on board until I got to the part about tribbles having teeth and casting Scotty as a woman. :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That was a good read. I was on board until I got to the part about tribbles having teeth and casting Scotty as a woman. :P

I noticed he quickly qualified that as (just an example!). Making Scotty into a woman would be fatal, as well as making tribbles have teeth. But the rest of it was right on point and I love these two writers. Straczynski was able to get his five years from the start with Babylon 5. There was no worry of the ratings gauntlet each year and possible cancellation midstream. The entire story was written from beginning to end BEFORE a single episode ever aired. It showed! This sounds even better than Abrams reboot to me, seriously. :) This is the real thing.

SciphonicStranger

I noticed he quickly qualified that as (just an example!). Making Scotty into a woman would be fatal, as well as making tribbles have teeth. But the rest of it was right on point and I love these two writers. Straczynski was able to get his five years from the start with Babylon 5. There was no worry of the ratings gauntlet each year and possible cancellation midstream. The entire story was written from beginning to end BEFORE a single episode ever aired. It showed! This sounds even better than Abrams reboot to me, seriously. :) This is the real thing.

That's a plus for turning it over to Straczynski - you can be confident that there will be a well thought out 5 year plan that will be followed until the end. I like the idea of the 5 year mission having a root purpose. The DNA coding has a nice tie-in to one of the STNG episodes.

But Scotty in a dress just made me blanch... :P

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It could have worked well. Straczynski also did Jeremiah which was pretty good.

That said, Abrams did fantastic on Star Trek 09. His script has basically given us back a Trek world with the old style underlying optimism and even better our characters really are once again "going where no man has gone before". Trek is alive again and without something like Abrams solution (probably more Roberto Orci's as he was the head writer) it was dead.

SciphonicStranger

BTW, Star Trek 2009 is streaming on Netflix now too. :cool:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
BTW, Star Trek 2009 is streaming on Netflix now too. :cool:

You bean its BACK on Netflix, right? I recall it being on there earlier this year before the pulling of hundreds of titles. Many are back now. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I guess they are resolving their tiff with some of the studios...